Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Interesting. New Jersey must be filled up with these anti-Vax Muh Freedom types.

View attachment 556267
You’re trying to prove what exactly? While the red state/blue state explain some of the national numbers by far the biggest driver is age, if you’re >35 around 50% have been vaccinated, 16-34 around 30%. We need to get the young adults to do their part.

Also, FYI, all but two towns in New Jersey are better then the state of Mississippi.

DisneyDebRob

Why? Because this is the way science works, we make theories based on what we know and then adjust them as we learn more. With a brand new virus sweeping through the world you can't wait until you are sure about the answers before you give them. You do what is best with the data you had at the time. Of course guidance is going to change as we learn more, I don't see how anyone could think otherwise.

As for disposal of masks, it's not like this is some sort of radioactive waste. You aren't going to get sick from walking past a contaminated mask. Most people are smart enough to know that they should throw them in the trash when they are done with them. For the people who don't, no amount of CDC guidelines is going to change the behavior.
How dare you bring science into this conversation. A few here are on a roll!

FormerMember

You’re trying to prove what exactly? While the red state/blue state explain some of the national numbers by far the biggest driver is age, if you’re >35 around 50% have been vaccinated, 16-34 around 30%. We need to get the young adults to do their part.

Also, FYI, all but two towns in New Jersey are better then the state of Mississippi.
I’m trying to prove that the dismissive attitude that anyone who’s not getting vaccinated is some moron hillbilly is bull plop.

sullyinMT

You do indeed know very little of Israel, which is even more polarized than the United States. They haven't even been able to get it together to form a government in the last 2 years. Between the radical right settlers, the religious zealots, the secular centrists, the Israeli Arabs, you think they are more unified than the United States?

They hit 60% vaccination. You really think we can't ever do the same in this country??
I’m not saying political divides don’t exist there. That’s human nature. I’m saying their conscription laws (of which there are any number of exemptions) might help when moving toward the greater good is needed. Vaccines and the use of vaccine passports is way different than political arguments about how to teach common core math or even what to do about their place in the region - it’s more like sugar rationing in the war effort where it’s just “something you do” because at the end of the day the people you argue with about day to day minutiae are still people worth working to save.

havoc315

I’m not saying political divides don’t exist there. That’s human nature. I’m saying their conscription laws (of which there are any number of exemptions) might help when moving toward the greater good is needed. Vaccines and the use of vaccine passports is way different than political arguments about how to teach common core math or even what to do about their place in the region - it’s more like sugar rationing in the war effort where it’s just “something you do” because at the end of the day the people you argue with about day to day minutiae are still people worth working to save.
If anything, their conscription laws divide them more.

But go ahead and put aside Israeli politics. Simple math: 60% vaccination. If other countries can get 60% vaccination, why can't the US??

sullyinMT

If anything, their conscription laws divide them more.

But go ahead and put aside Israeli politics. Simple math: 60% vaccination. If other countries can get 60% vaccination, why can't the US??
Fair enough. I still think we can and will get to 60%. I actually think that end number is higher, but not much. Maybe 65 (70 is a stretch but likely in some areas). What we’re hitting now is a wall based on geography and work schedules conflicting with clinic schedules. Of course, there are plenty of considerations and conversations we can have with the unvaccinated to speed that up and get us to 60% as fast as you and I would like, but we’ve reached the point where we either need patience for a couple months or a passport system.

If the Deep South is still having issues in July, the SEC and ACC just need to announce as a body that no unvaccinated fans will be allowed to attend football games or on-campus tailgates. Only partially kidding.

Incomudro

The whole debate about masks kinda cracks me up.

A mask is nothing compared to a number of items women have worn/tolerated for years: Spanx/girdles, high heeled shoes, make-up, and bras (especially larger sized bras).

A few weeks ago, my local newspaper ran an article about how dress codes have relaxed for those who can work from home. Many women have stopped wearing the items listed above, and more, and they aren't welcoming those items back!

Recently WDW relaxed their dress code, so we'll see. The country is re-thinking many things right now.

I dunno, it just cracks me up a little. Like perhaps we're losing a little perspective.
How many years has it been since woman were expected - let alone required to wear any of those things?
There are certain cultures that do require woman to cover their faces, and many people consider those places to be less than tolerant of woman's rights and freedoms.

hopemax

The parameters led to guidelines. The guidelines have been nothing more than theater. People championed the guidelines of temperature screening and constant cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. They demanded it to keep everyone safe. Now, the same people all agree that temperature screening and cleaning surfaces is a waste of time and resources.
Nope, not accepting your framing. Business championed temperature checks and cleaning because it provided an alternative to closure, and was at a cost they were willing to accept. Upon learning that temperature checks are unreliable, and cleaning is unnecessary for this virus, what we should have done is closure until we identified what would work and could implement it. Studies have confirmed indoor spaces for longer than intermittent contact are unsafe, so preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections required something. Business signaled to policy makers what they were willing to do, and everything else followed. So if you have a problem with what happened, you should direct your energy to the unhelpful influence business had on public health policy.

Incomudro

The CDC didn't change the numbers? People aren't saying that temperature screenings are a waste of resources? People don't throw masks on the ground? People don't think wearing a masks prevents them from getting covid?

I know this forum is literally your entire reason to exist and when the pandemic ends you'll no longer be able to virtue signal and be a brave hero warrior and tell people like myself that I'm a liar, but it doesn't change the fact that many people are starting to realize that a lot (not all) of what we've been told is completely wrong.
Remember how long covid stayed alive on various surfaces?
Remember how long it hung in the air?
Remember when we urged to wash our hands for the duration of time it took to recite the alphabet?
I do.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Nope, not accepting your framing. Business championed temperature checks and cleaning because it provided an alternative to closure, and was at a cost they were willing to accept. Upon learning that temperature checks are unreliable, and cleaning is unnecessary for this virus, what we should have done is closure until we identified what would work and could implement it. Studies have confirmed indoor spaces for longer than intermittent contact are unsafe, so preventing SARS-CoV-2 infections required something. Business signaled to policy makers what they were willing to do, and everything else followed. So if you have a problem with what happened, you should direct your energy to the unhelpful influence business had on public health policy.
I Never said I had a problem. I Never said that businesses should not have temperature screened people or cleaned and sanitized surfaces. I simply pointed out that what was once deemed "necessary", turned out NOT to be necessary.

It seems to be you that has a problem. A problem accepting any form of comment or conversation that highlights aspects of the "experts" have been wrong time and time again and if anybody dare questions the latest "science/data" , them are a problem.

You don't have to accept my "framing" for it to be true. It's akin to the people who are claiming Snow White is a story about rape because Prince Charming offered and unsolicited kiss. Such malarkey.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

Fair enough. I still think we can and will get to 60%. I actually think that end number is higher, but not much. Maybe 65 (70 is a stretch but likely in some areas). What we’re hitting now is a wall based on geography and work schedules conflicting with clinic schedules. Of course, there are plenty of considerations and conversations we can have with the unvaccinated to speed that up and get us to 60% as fast as you and I would like, but we’ve reached the point where we either need patience for a couple months or a passport system.

If the Deep South is still having issues in July, the SEC and ACC just need to announce as a body that no unvaccinated fans will be allowed to attend football games or on-campus tailgates. Only partially kidding.
If we're still struggling to reach the hold-outs in the fall, I would more than support creative solutions like this. Look at each region, see what motivates them, and make an appropriate policy to target the hesitant. Of course, I would have loved to see an international working group come up with a common interchangeable standard for a vaccine passport, but we shot that pooch already...

GoofGoof

Premium Member

We are 45M first shots away from 60% of the US population. We are on pace to hit it by July 4th even without kids under 12 being eligible. The cases in Israel really flatlined when they hit 55% which is around 29M additional shot. If you count kids 12-15 once they are approved we may get there by end of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom