Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

The one thing from over a year of this thread that astounds me more than anything is just how many people here think they are so, so much smarter than the average, ignorant American and look down their noses at their fellow citizens. The amount of arrogant elitism in this one thread on a Disney forum is just astonishing.
Elitism on a Disney board. That never happens. 🙄.

Kevin_W

I heard one of the worst excuses the other day. "I don't want it because the government's pushing it."

I've heard that one too. If "they" want you to get it it can't be for your own good. I understand cynicism of government, but literally it is there for the good of the people. We can often (usually?) disagree on what the good of the people is, but I think "not dying from disease" should be a pretty broadly-supported platform.

(Would these same people have told NAzis about the position of our convoys in WW2? "loose lips sinks ships" was a government push)

Nubs70

Yeah, I can only stomach it for a few minutes at a time, especially at night. It is fun to turn on Fox and see them reporting on a story as if it’s the biggest news of the century with headlines blaring across the screen and then turn on CNN and they aren’t even covering the story and vice versa. Really shows how skewed and biased they have become. Mostly entertainment vs news, especially at night.
We just need 1 state sanctioned news channel

correcaminos

Absolutely agree, which is why the CM’s should continue to enforce/persuade people to follow their rules. It shouldn’t be people following the rules who feel they have to leave because they don’t feel safe. I appreciate that you have said that not a great many people seem bothered any more but even if it is only the small minority who feel uncomfortable with the lack of distance or masks, they are, according to Disney’s current guidelines, the ones in the right. If they cannot enjoy their vacation that is simply not fair. I realise that people who are against the rules will feel that by following the instructions it will restrict the enjoyment of their vacation but they knew what the situation was when they booked their holiday or chose to visit the park for a day.
Having said all that I wouldn’t want to be a CM having to confront people but they have been doing that, so I’ve read, until recently so should continue to do so and be well supported by security, if that becomes an issue. That would also be very unmagical though. Hopefully people would respond positively, though I appreciate that may be rather optimistic!
I’m genuinely not trying to be difficult but am alarmed at the idea that terms and conditions for entering the parks are not being followed.
Why is the idea that people don't follow rules alarming? Not being rude, but genuinely curious.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Pfizer and partner BioNtech announced they are starting the process to seek full Food and Drug Administration approval in the U.S. for their COVID-19 vaccine.

Since December, their vaccine has been distributed in the U.S. under an "emergency use authorization," which is a distinct regulatory status reserved for emergency situations, such as a pandemic."

“We are proud of the tremendous progress we’ve made since December in delivering vaccines to millions of Americans, in collaboration with the U.S. Government,” Albert Bourla, Pfizer Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, said in a statement Friday. “We look forward to working with the FDA to complete this rolling submission and support their review, with the goal of securing full regulatory approval of the vaccine in the coming months.”

"Pfizer said it has delivered more than 170 million doses in the U.S."

threvester

Absolutely agree, which is why the CM’s should continue to enforce/persuade people to follow their rules. It shouldn’t be people following the rules who feel they have to leave because they don’t feel safe. I appreciate that you have said that not a great many people seem bothered any more but even if it is only the small minority who feel uncomfortable with the lack of distance or masks, they are, according to Disney’s current guidelines, the ones in the right. If they cannot enjoy their vacation that is simply not fair. I realise that people who are against the rules will feel that by following the instructions it will restrict the enjoyment of their vacation but they knew what the situation was when they booked their holiday or chose to visit the park for a day.
Having said all that I wouldn’t want to be a CM having to confront people but they have been doing that, so I’ve read, until recently so should continue to do so and be well supported by security, if that becomes an issue. That would also be very unmagical though. Hopefully people would respond positively, though I appreciate that may be rather optimistic!
I’m genuinely not trying to be difficult but am alarmed at the idea that terms and conditions for entering the parks are not being followed.
While you are at it chase down all the vapers leaving the bathroom or in just about any walkway...that should keep you busy for a while

havoc315

The free fall of first doses...

1620386095299.png

Approval of 12-15 should give a little bump.

But looking like it will be a real challenge to break the 50-55% level by summer.
That’s unlikely to bring true nationwide herd immunity.

And footnote on Israel... they are now averaging about 0.7/100,000 cases per day... the equivalent of about 2,000 per day in the US. They are still mandating masks indoors but have dropped most other restrictions.
Will we have the patience to continue masking indoors until cases drop well below 2,000 per day?
Without a higher level of vaccination, will we get to below 2,000 per day? I really don’t know.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
The free fall of first doses...

View attachment 555386
Approval of 12-15 should give a little bump.

But looking like it will be a real challenge to break the 50-55% level by summer.
That’s unlikely to bring true nationwide herd immunity.

And footnote on Israel... they are now averaging about 0.7/100,000 cases per day... the equivalent of about 2,000 per day in the US. They are still mandating masks indoors but have dropped most other restrictions.
Will we have the patience to continue masking indoors until cases drop well below 2,000 per day?
Without a higher level of vaccination, will we get to below 2,000 per day? I really don’t know.
That's sucks for herd immunity. We will may get alot of surges/spikes for years.....Will we will might herd immunity maybe if the people will keep getting vaccine.

FormerMember

There was a bit of confusion I think amongst that conversation. The 12-15yo qualification has been strictly for at risk medical conditions. This was already occurring and actually came before Canada's emergency approval. It was flung on us last week and temporarily required a Paediatrician to sign off and counsel about its off-label usage. That logistically and feasibly was not possible and instead the screening occurred with the appointment. I think now with emergency use it is no longer required. As you know, about half of what we do is off label in Peds.

General population wise - 30+ opened up today for the booking system and 12+ opens May 10... but I assume the 12+ group will have fairly far flung appointments. We can book appointments months out in Alberta right now, if you qualify. As an aside, Alberta is a mess, but it has the most unified healthcare system in North America.

It's not just political. We actually have enough doses arriving next week for 10% of the population. After a very, very, very sluggish start, the gap has surprisingly closed and April was amazing. I wouldn't be surprised for Canada to overtake the US in a few weeks, mostly because demand here seems much stronger for a variety of reasons. The least of which is the current wave and a lot more public urgency to want the vaccine.

View attachment 555344
Simpler answer for why there is more demand right now. You have far fewer people vaccinated. As you catch up to the US, demand will wane, it's just math.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
We may see small surges, but they won't be anything close to what we saw last year. They'll be limited to areas that have low vaccination rates. You're in New Jersey, right? I'm confident that much of the northeast will do well with vaccinations.
So NJ will won't have a surges or spike because they have high vaccination in the state?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom