Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

It could. And I think it's irresponsible reporting on the part of FOX because, as the story said, it's anecdotal and there's no evidence of such things elsewhere.
Point is that we do not know the long-term impacts of any of these vaccines. In spite of that unknown fact, we want to get our lives back.

We have been told that if we vaccinate, we get our lives back. So we have accepted the risk, vaccinated, and we are then told we can't get our lives back until some time in the future. When pressed, the "smartest man in the world" changes to goal out of personal opinion.

ImperfectPixie

3:30 was given which is not a usual quitting time for those who work more of a 9-5 schedule, but a school end time. So I assumed not work but school. Granted it's a fallacy to assume all people work 9-5 schedules anyway, but that's where my brain went.

My thoughts exactly. We pull for check ups too though I try to schedule it during easy classes. My kid knows he's being pulled if need be for this already.

Agree it doesn't help. Much like someone spreading about heavy periods after and then leading to infertility. People have said to me many times that the trial doesn't track, but they sure asked me for any health changes. As a woman I would have noted it too, but nothing changed for me (and I had my period between each shot). Correlation is not causation either. Stress can happen to make things worse for women. Sorry if TMI but that other one floated around so much lately. Some don't see the damage it does.
I only got my 1st shot a week ago, and I signed up for the CDC vaccine check-ins, so I reported any symptoms and will continue to respond after I get my 2nd shot mid-May.

ImperfectPixie

Point is that we do not know the long-term impacts of any of these vaccines. In spite of that unknown fact, we want to get our lives back.

We have been told that if we vaccinate, we get our lives back. So we have accepted the risk, vaccinated, and we are then told we can't get our lives back until some time in the future. When pressed, the "smartest man in the world" changes to goal out of personal opinion.
It takes time to get enough people vaccinated. Let's not forget that children under age 16 can't be vaccinated at all yet.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No

No but the long term impacts of not being vaccinated could guarantee you never get back to normal, or worse. I strongly feel this is the best choice, I have seen many people I personally know die, or still suffer from effects of covid many months later....my area has over 50% vaccinated most with two shots, but the rest still waiting for #2.....I am cautiously optimistic.

correcaminos

I only got my 1st shot a week ago, and I signed up for the CDC vaccine check-ins, so I reported any symptoms and will continue to respond after I get my 2nd shot mid-May.
Since I am in a trial I reported directly to them. They did ask in the trial about health changes and we had a mini review of any changes every single visit I've been to since the first. As a woman in the trial they did ask about my ability to have kids from a biological stand point (still having periods meant pregnancy test several times) and if my periods were regular etc.

hopemax

Ok we’re following the science here. It is a binary choice (yes or no) Does xx% represent herd immunity? Doesn’t work on opinion or feelings.
Again, there is no way to know this until after the fact. There is no book to look up what the threshold is for any new virus. There is no table or graph that says if 20% are vaccinated, X happens, if 40% then Y, at 60% then Z. Like the “do you have enough money to last through retirement?” the final answer only comes through living it. Anything else, is a hope and a guess. We can only evaluate the outcome by observation. That takes time we can’t speed up without a time machine or something.

You are ranting about needing a firm number about the unknown while also ranting about being lied to. You can’t have it both ways. It’s not a good look. If it feels like we’re making things up as we go along, it is because we are. There is no other way, because humans aren’t omniscient. We aren’t as evolved as we think we are, we can do amazing things but a situation that requires prediction, is not yet something humans are amazing at. Just like living in an open-ended unpleasant, situation is not something several people in this thread are amazing at either.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
It takes time to get enough people vaccinated. Let's not forget that children under age 16 can't be vaccinated at all yet.
I think that will happen faster then we assume.....what has happened over the past month shows me how active health providers and local groups are getting word out for opportunities, easy ones, that were not apparent for anyone, and we went from 64 and up to 16 and up in a matter of weeks.....:D.

correcaminos

Yes we do. This argument is played and replayed. Vaccines do not stay in the system. They are not like medication where continued use creates bad side effects. We have going on nearly year of data from first doses. Being in the Phase 3 trial I signed up in June and was enrolled in July. They had already had a few months of info by the time i went in. We also have seen mRNA vaccines tested elsewhere on other diseases.

FormerMember

Anti-maskers have been desperately trying to play this card since this pandemic began...

May 2020: "If you don't want to drop mask restrictions right now, you obviously just want them to go on FOREVER!!!"

And shortly afterwards, of course, came the huge spike, and hundreds of thousands died, and hundreds of thousands more have had lasting health effects due to Covid.

But yeah, not wanting to drop restrictions RIGHT THIS SECOND means people want them to go on forever. Grow up.
Your post doesn't make the point you think it does.

DavidNoble

It also stops when:

-Advisory bodies like the CDC and WHO release definitive changes to their recommendations, a process that is driven by constant review of data but is subject to delays in interpreting and coordinating messaging of that data.

-The message has a chance to filter down through the various political system layers. At the local and state levels changes may need to wait until their own reviews / meetings / processes play out.

-Major national and international business (like TWDC) drop restrictions. Even after new guidance is issued, they may have to balance different operating restrictions and considerations across their a large geographic footprint while also waiting for potential changes to clear their internal legal and risk management teams.

-International travel and trade to fully recover from the unprecedented disruption of the last year, a process that may take years in itself. There are still significant supply line challenges, now most apparent in electronics / chip supplies.

In short, even when we hit these magic numbers, there’s still a whole lot of red tape and sausage that needs to be made before ‘normal’ happens.

I currently work (from home) for a major national company that doesn’t own a theme park. I’m still getting email messages weekly informing me of employees at my (reduceoffice location testing positive. We’re still a seemingly long way from ending work-from-home, dropping corporate mask guidelines, and reinstating non-essential travel. My immediate leadership has a plan, but they can’t roll with it until the go-ahead from countless other internal groups and higher ups. I can only imagine every large company you can name is going through the same process and uncertainty, and you can be assured that they are not going to jump the gun on this.

I’m not saying that’s right, that it agrees with the science or not, or that it agrees with your preferred political position or beliefs in personal freedom... It is what it is, and it’s the reason you may well see places like WDW and other large companies require mitigation well beyond when you may think they should.

I think by late summer or early fall we will see CDC release recommendations that continue to drop masks if the numbers continue in the direction they're heading. If we start seeing those numbers that I listed then businesses in many of the states that don't have mask mandates will start to unwind their policies as well (and some obviously have).

In terms of theme parks, I think TWDC will be a bit more cautious, but by EOY they will drop masks if things continue in the right direction (though the international aspect could throw a wrench in that thought).

The international travel and trade I don't think will have any impact on when we go back to normal by way of limited indoor gatherings, mask mandates, etc. You mention supply line challenges, but that's not going to dictate other things that we've mentioned ('You can't get your PS5, so you have to still wear a mask!')

I think offices will continue to be remote or hybrid regardless. It's the new reality for many companies that workers no longer need to be in the office and for many of those workers they're enjoying the freedom of their new hours, saved commute, and ability to do laundry while sitting on a conference call.

No they absolutely should...but have many times do we watch or see the “news” and it’s positive encouraging things? We need that to get those on the fence about getting a shot to feel better about getting one

Remove COVID and vaccines... and it still wouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows. That's why I don't watch the news :p

FormerMember

I'm pretty sure today I posted about my baselines being cases akin to last spring, and the winter surge akin to influenza levels but the reality of the situation is that there is no human being on this earth, let alone a Disney message board that can *accurately* describe the levels needed to bring SAR-CoV-2 to a manageable state until AFTER we have reached them. None. All we have are guesses. Because this is a brand new disease. You are the one that is not engaging in an honest discussion and just spouting nonsense. You might as well be asking where the next tornado will hit, because after all, there are people that spend their lives studying tornadoes so they should know. How do you think this country will react if given a number too low and then we have to do more? How do you think this country will react if the levels enumerated are accurate but regular folks believe they are too high to achieve?
Did you know for most of the country, we have been below typical flu season hospitalizations for months?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I see a lot of back and forth on the concept of establishing a clear and trackable goal like a percent of the population vaccinated as a trigger to remove restrictions. I see the main resistance is that people are concerned that the target will be reached but it won’t be enough and cases won’t be down enough. I don’t see that as an issue at all. We cannot fear failure at this point and we cannot let that fear hold us back. JFK said we would put a man on the moon and we would do it in 10 years. He wasn’t afraid to say it because there were a million variables that could go wrong that would result in failure. He didn’t fear failure and we achieved the goal within the 10 years.

We need a similar target set for vaccinations. A clear goal and a clear reward for when we reach that goal. We get 70% of the eligible population vaccinated and we can return to normal. Since the states actually set covid restrictions it would be largely a symbolic gesture, but the CDC and the Federal government hold great influence over corporate policy on public health and also on state and local responses. I think it’s our best bet to get more people vaccinated and to ultimately win this battle. If a few months from now it turns out that we have 70% of the eligible people vaccinated and cases are still at 50,000 a day then the government would have to bite the bullet and say they messed up and that the number wasn’t enough. I’d rather see that then have the vaccination process slow because a politician doesn’t want an L in their column. The stakes are too high to play politics. Set the target and then push us over it. From Kennedy’s speech on going to the moon: “We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win, and the others, too”.

ImperfectPixie

I think by late summer or early fall we will see CDC release recommendations that continue to drop masks if the numbers continue in the direction they're heading. If we start seeing those numbers that I listed then businesses in many of the states that don't have mask mandates will start to unwind their policies as well (and some obviously have).

In terms of theme parks, I think TWDC will be a bit more cautious, but by EOY they will drop masks if things continue in the right direction (though the international aspect could throw a wrench in that thought).

The international travel and trade I don't think will have any impact on when we go back to normal by way of limited indoor gatherings, mask mandates, etc. You mention supply line challenges, but that's not going to dictate other things that we've mentioned ('You can't get your PS5, so you have to still wear a mask!')

I think offices will continue to be remote or hybrid regardless. It's the new reality for many companies that workers no longer need to be in the office and for many of those workers they're enjoying the freedom of their new hours, saved commute, and ability to do laundry while sitting on a conference call.

Remove COVID and vaccines... and it still wouldn't be all sunshine and rainbows. That's why I don't watch the news :p
Working from home - I have several friends who have been told not to expect to return to the office until next year.

I don't watch any news, either, I find reading it to be far less stressful...and even then I've stopped checking every day.

DavidNoble

Here’s one of the esteemed TV news guest’s finer gems.

"When polls said only about half of all Americans would take a vaccine, I was saying herd immunity would take 70 to 75 percent ... Then, when newer surveys said 60 percent or more would take it, I thought, "I can nudge this up a bit," so I went to 80, 85. We need to have some humility here .... We really don’t know what the real number is. I think the real range is somewhere between 70 to 90 percent. But, I'm not going to say 90 percent."

The man’s a bumbling buffoon. The only thing he’s good at is appearing in front of a camera. The fact you have such faith in him is quite sad.

Ok if you’re comfortable being LIED TO and have your life decisions influenced by either TV personalities posing as scientists and incompetent politicians then I can’t help you.

No one expects anyone to know everything about this virus 100%. But Fauci has been all over the place on this one. At this point I'm not sure how anyone trusts what this guy says. In my opinion he doesn't appear to be following the science as they say.

These are definitely some opinions that seem to want to focus their anger on Fauci simply because he doesn't give the news that people want to hear.

Did you know for most of the country, we have been below typical flu season hospitalizations for months?

Did you know for most of the country they've been wearing masks and not having indoor gatherings? I haven't been sick for the past year. Because I'm not around people and wearing a mask. It's amazing what happens when I don't have other's people germs in my face.

DavidNoble

Working from home - I have several friends who have been told not to expect to return to the office until next year.

I don't watch any news, either, I find reading it to be far less stressful...and even then I've stopped checking every day.

My company is continuing volunteer work from home. I don't have to worry about that personally because I was hired in as virtual only, but yeah, more and more companies are understanding the impact (positively) on WFH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom