Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HRHPrincessAriel

So ...

What is everyone seeing for vaccine appointment availability in your area?

In my location, the local pharmacies and grocery stores are showing availability 4 days from today.

The large local government run facilities are showing next day availability.
In Houston area. Lots of walk/drive in availability around me including the huge set up at NRG Stadium.

correcaminos

I'm worried the new variants will never be defeated because vaccines will never stop them, we will may go back to normal for years, as we will have to wear masks and social distancing forever I guess. Is this really gonna happen or not. Is masks and social distancing will be gone for good soon? Is we will getting a booster to stop variants by late this year or next year.
No variant has evaded vaccines yet. You found one of the most doom and gloom article I've seen in a long time. You ask often and the answer hasn't changed. We do not know yet what will happen when. The daily news doesn't change answers honestly. Recommendations do not change with daily reports and especially not with a specific news opinion piece. So when you read things, keep in mind while an article may show science, they can still be opinion pieces. Not all extrapolate data. Many want to scare people so one news article here or there should always be taken with a grain of salt. As of now no boosters are needed. If I go back for booster testing as part of a trial, I will share. For now we have very robust immune responses.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like many are seeing what I am seeing.

I had to scramble 4 weeks ago to get my first dose. Found a county-run temporary location about 40 minutes away and had to wait in line another 45 minutes to get my shot.

When I returned 3 weeks later, I walked right in. The parking lot was full but I obviously was at the tail end of a lunchtime rush (I arrived at 2 PM). When I left at 2:30, there was almost no one in line, and most vaccinators (if that's the right word!) were sitting there bored, waiting for the next person. It probably got more crowded in the evening, but there definitely was a mid-afternoon lull.

I looked at my state's metrics. We were averaging about 100,000 doses per day. This has dropped to 85,000.

It appears that in my state, those who really wanted the vaccine have already received their first dose. We now are shifting over to those who are waiting until it is convenient.

After that, it becomes those who need to be coaxed.

I'm concerned this is going to drag out a lot longer than it needs to. :(
Sounds about right. I posted earlier a poll that showed 1/3 of people polled say they know at least one person who cut the line and got the vaccine before they were eligible. Even before the vaccine was open to anyone who wanted it many of the people in the “get it as soon as they can” group got the vaccine. Then once it opened up to everyone there were some “rule followers” who desperately wanted it but waited their turn. In a lot of places that group is gone now too. What’s left is the group in polling that said they would get the vaccine eventually but were in no hurry to do it, the fence sitters and the no way not getting it crowd. Governments at all levels need to shift quickly to pulling in the fence sitters. Mass vaccine sights are no longer needed most places. Much easier for people to walk into their local pharmacy or their doctor’s office and get the shot.

This is going to drag on longer than it needs to. If we continued at the previous vaccine pace we would be at 80%+ of eligible people done by end of May and the “return to normal” could have started to ramp up by Memorial Day. Instead the same idiots who won’t get the vaccine are still saying ”we can’t live like this forever and we need to learn to live with the virus“. You have been saying this for over a year now and nobody has learned to live with anything. You haven’t gotten your way. What makes you think now is any different. There’s one way to get a return to normal and that’s to get a vaccine. It’s ironic that the same people who claimed they were not afraid of a virus and belittled people for “hiding in their basements” are now afraid of a vaccine and are hiding from it. There was a poster here who claimed it was “courageous” to go out and eat in restaurants during the pandemic for the sake of the economy and to help the workers in restaurants. I hope they got their vaccine already. The longer it takes to drive cases down the longer it takes to bring businesses fully back. The vaccine resistors are fully to blame for all the economic hardships that occur while we delay our return to normal.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Sounds about right. I posted earlier a poll that showed 1/3 of people polled say they know at least one person who cut the line and got the vaccine before they were eligible. Even before the vaccine was open to anyone who wanted it many of the people in the “get it as soon as they can” group got the vaccine. Then once it opened up to everyone there were some “rule followers” who desperately wanted it but waited their turn. In a lot of places that group is gone now too. What’s left is the group in polling that said they would get the vaccine eventually but were in no hurry to do it, the fence sitters and the no way not getting it crowd. Governments at all levels need to shift quickly to pulling in the fence sitters. Mass vaccine sights are no longer needed most places. Much easier for people to walk into their local pharmacy or their doctor’s office and get the shot.

This is going to drag on longer than it needs to. If we continued at the previous vaccine pace we would be at 80%+ of eligible people done by end of May and the “return to normal” could have started to ramp up by Memorial Day. Instead the same idiots who won’t get the vaccine are still saying ”we can’t live like this forever and we need to learn to live with the virus“. You have been saying this for over a year now and nobody has learned to live with anything. You haven’t gotten your way. What makes you think now is any different. There’s one way to get a return to normal and that’s to get a vaccine. It’s ironic that the same people who claimed they were not afraid of a virus and belittled people for “hiding in their basements” are now afraid of a vaccine and are hiding from it. There was a poster here who claimed it was “courageous” to go out and eat in restaurants during the pandemic for the sake of the economy and to help the workers in restaurants. I hope they got their vaccine already. The longer it takes to drive cases down the longer it takes to bring businesses fully back. The vaccine resistors are fully to blame for all the economic hardships that occur while we delay our return to normal.
I hope vaccine will go up faster than dropping down the flatline by Memorial Day or July.

Chomama

It’s pretty discouraging at this point. Everyone I know who wants the vaccine has gotten it and our state has stalled at 30%. That’s way too low to even slow Covid down for long. And the people I know who haven’t gotten it won’t be getting it. Period. There is nothing that could be done to convince them. I have tried and it has become so politically charged that they won’t even discuss it. It’s just a hard no. I’m frustrated for sure and am curious to see what happens next. Of course we have more vaccine than anywhere in the world and we are so privileged that we refuse to take it. Other countries are desperate for it. Ugh.

Jrb1979

It’s pretty discouraging at this point. Everyone I know who wants the vaccine has gotten it and our state has stalled at 30%. That’s way too low to even slow Covid down for long. And the people I know who haven’t gotten it won’t be getting it. Period. There is nothing that could be done to convince them. I have tried and it has become so politically charged that they won’t even discuss it. It’s just a hard no. I’m frustrated for sure and am curious to see what happens next. Of course we have more vaccine than anywhere in the world and we are so privileged that we refuse to take it. Other countries are desperate for it. Ugh.
It's completely opposite here in Canada. They opened it up for 40+ and it's hard to get appointments to be vaccinated.

It's unfortunate that it seems to have stalled in the US. It looks like you may not reach herd immunity any time soon.

Incomudro

This is an incident from Independence of the Seas.
View attachment 551700
Fun fact, I was on this ship! It was the most ~apocalyptic experience I’ve ever felt prior to covid. Both of my parents (who were in a different room) got sick. My brother and I were spared. I think the number was actually much higher than officially reported, it was pretty much ship wide in a matter of 24 hours.
One of the few times I've been sick over the past couple of decades occurred on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.
Spent at least one day or night unable to leave my room.
My wife to be caught it too.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
It's completely opposite here in Canada. They opened it up for 40+ and it's hard to get appointments to be vaccinated.

It's unfortunate that it seems to have stalled in the US. It looks like you may not reach herd immunity any time soon.
Noo, now US will never reach herd immunity as masks and social distancing will stay forever....😢

Incomudro

Have we had another New York March 2019?

No, no we haven’t. Why do you think that is? I don’t think it was our “lockdowns” as we’ve had spikes in areas who didn’t lockdown and they faired no better or worse. So what is the one other mitigation a majority of the public has done since that time
Because those people who would be hit the hardest - were hit the hardest.
They were taken out of the mix.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Let’s not go crazy. The vaccine pace has slowed not stopped. We also have no idea how many people need to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. There are parts of the US that are getting pretty close to a level of cases that would be the gateway to removing covid restrictions and returning to normal. CA for example is around 5 cases per 100K people and the target set by Fauci and other experts to consider removing masks and distancing is 3 cases per 100K. So they are getting pretty close with only 46% of the population having one shot. They will likely get to a vaccination level over 70% so there’s still a ways to go on vaccines but it’s probable they get there and likely to be by June timeframe. So unless you don’t consider June any time soon I’d say I disagree with your statement. Regionally in the US we will reach herd immunity and higher vaccine acceptance. It won’t be nationwide.

The places that fall behind will either see the error of their ways and correct or not. That’s still to be seen. The economic impact of vaccine resistance will be real. There will be parts of the country where the economy booms and parts where covid continues to weigh things down.

Chomama

Let’s not go crazy. The vaccine pace has slowed not stopped. We also have no idea how many people need to be vaccinated to reach herd immunity. There are parts of the US that are getting pretty close to a level of cases that would be the gateway to removing covid restrictions and returning to normal. CA for example is around 5 cases per 100K people and the target set by Fauci and other experts to consider removing masks and distancing is 3 cases per 100K. So they are getting pretty close with only 46% of the population having one shot. They will likely get to a vaccination level over 70% so there’s still a ways to go on vaccines but it’s probable they get there and likely to be by June timeframe. So unless you don’t consider June any time soon I’d say I disagree with your statement. Regionally in the US we will reach herd immunity and higher vaccine acceptance. It won’t be nationwide.

The places that fall behind will either see the error of their ways and correct or not. That’s still to be seen. The economic impact of vaccine resistance will be real. There will be parts of the country where the economy booms and parts where covid continues to weigh things down.
Agreed. It’s interesting because we are at 8 per 100k in our state with low vax rates. Many think Covid was so rampant here that getting to 40-50% vax will be enough. Our numbers fell off a cliff and haven’t crept back up - fingers crossed!

ParentsOf4

What’s left is the group in polling that said they would get the vaccine eventually but were in no hurry to do it, the fence sitters and the no way not getting it crowd.
Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't put much faith in polls anymore. I do put faith in data. What CDC data tells me is it is the young who are in no rush to get vaccinated.

1619363989882.png

We understand why 65-and-over are leading this charge. They are at highest risk and nearly every state restricted the first dosages to them.

After this initial allocation was satisfied, other age groups quickly became eligible. (For example, here in Georgia I believe there was only 1 week between "55 and older" and "18 and older". I became eligible 4 weeks ago and received my second dose earlier this week, 3 weeks after my first.)

We encouraged our twentysomething-year-old children to get vaccinated as soon as they became eligible. Two have received both doses, the other two will get their second dose this coming week. However, they tell me most of their friends' attitudes are, "COVID is an old person's disease; I don't need the vaccine."

A lot of us are seeing many vaccine appointments available on short notice. I suspect that nearly all who really want a dose have at least scheduled an appointment by now. We need to figure out a constructive way to encourage the rest.

At the moment, I think we need a big social media push (by celebrities?) to get the young vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Please don't take this the wrong way but I don't put much faith in polls anymore. I do put faith in data. What CDC data tells me is it is the young who are in no rush to get vaccinated.

View attachment 551865

We understand why 65-and-over are leading this charge. They are at highest risk and nearly every state restricted the first dosages to them.

After this initial allocation was satisfied, other age groups quickly became eligible. (For example, here in Georgia I believe there was only 1 week between "55 and older" and "18 and older". I became eligible 4 weeks ago and received my second dose earlier this week, 3 weeks after my first.)

We encouraged our twentysomething-year-old children to get vaccinated as soon as they became eligible. Two have received both doses, the other two will get their second dose this coming week. However, they tell me most of their friends' attitudes are, "COVID is an old person's disease; I don't need the vaccine."

A lot of us are seeing many vaccine appointments available on short notice. I suspect that nearly all who really want a dose have at least scheduled an appointment by now. We need to figure out a constructive way to encourage the rest.

At the moment, I think we need a big social media push (by celebrities?) to get the young vaccinated.
So far Covid polling has been fairly accurate. Going back a few months the polls showed around 80% of the 65+ group wanted the vaccine and we are actually exceeding that. The polls showed that the younger demographics wouldn‘t be nearly as high and that appears to be holding true as well. Unfortunately the political demographics are also playing out as polled, look at the states that are furthest behind on vaccinations. There’s time for that to come around.

Polkadotdress

Instead the same idiots who won’t get the vaccine are still saying ”we can’t live like this forever and we need to learn to live with the virus“. You have been saying this for over a year now and nobody has learned to live with anything. You haven’t gotten your way. What makes you think now is any different.
Reminds me of that saying..."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom