Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom P.

Yeah you would hope. But we have seen them several times before, and they have always ended up going away.
That's disappointing. Even though the data now shows that Covid is not really spread by touching surfaces, there are lots of other illnesses out there that are. Everyone knows about the "Disney crud" that always seems to hit people on trips. I would think it would be in Disney's best interest to keep people healthy so that they are out in the parks, not stuck in their hotel rooms or heading home. I can't imagine hand sanitizer stations are a huge cost for Disney.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's disappointing. Even though the data now shows that Covid is not really spread by touching surfaces, there are lots of other illnesses out there that are. Everyone knows about the "Disney crud" that always seems to hit people on trips. I would think it would be in Disney's best interest to keep people healthy so that they are out in the parks, not stuck in their hotel rooms or heading home. I can't imagine hand sanitizer stations are a huge cost for Disney.
Agree. I don't know if this will finally change things and they will become permanent - we all know they should be. But I have a feeling that they will end up disappearing.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A Centers for Disease Control and Prevention panel on Wednesday decided to postpone a decision on Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine after six women developed a rare, but potentially life-threatening, blood-clotting disorder that left one dead and critical condition.

The CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices met a day after the Food and Drug Administration asked states to temporarily halt using J&J’s vaccine “out of an abundance of caution.” The panel voted unanimously to reconvene in a week where it will decide what it will recommend to the CDC on J&J’s vaccine.

The committee debated whether to and how long they wanted to continue the pause on J&J’s vaccine while the CDC investigates the cause of the blood clotting. One committee member recommended a month-long hold on restarting immunizations, while other members recommended a few weeks. Some members asked whether they could hold off on voting until they had more time to digest the data.

One of the options the panel considered was whether to recommend limiting the vaccine’s use based on age or other risk factors."

Incomudro

What things are you referring to? Our understanding of the virus has changed constantly from the very beginning of the pandemic. Scientists are constantly doing new studies to on the virus and they all contribute to our understanding of virus and how we deal with it.
Nothing the poster said constitutes the very definition of a conspiracy.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Sort of a repeat... I got a little hate mail on the first post.

DW & I, at 68, were lucky enough to complete our MODERNA regime. From a good three months ago? I've been advising my four children to opt for Pzizer, or Moderna vaccination. WHY? - because the efficacy is superior.

Now? I tell our children the efficacy is superior, AND the risk is lower.

"Warp Speed" was always a bit risky. My personal take is that out of 4 vaccines, 2 have proven to be safe, and very effective. Go with the WINNERS, and CHEER for the rate at which two effective vaccines have been developed :)..

J&J, and Astrazeneca appear to have fundamental basic technology issues. Yes, they might be "good enough" - but I have to ask how much better things would be if the production facilities for this "stuff" simply got co-opted to produce the WINNERS.

This was a race. In any race? There are winners, and losers'.

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
Post immediately deleted, when hate mail arises."

LovePop

In regards to the CDC's concern about the J&J vaccine, which may cause blood clots for 1 in a million shots, I made a spreadsheet of the risk of death for US covid, by age, for comparison:

Capture.PNG

As one can see here, the lowest death rate of covid, which is for kids, is still 3 in a million. And for seniors, it's 8000 in a million, which far surpasses the J&J blood clot rate. So I am surprised that the CDC wants to put a pause on the vaccine just based on that information, unless there's more to it that they are worrying about but not saying.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm
population numbers are googled individually for each age group and are approximate

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I was hoping the sanitizers would never go away.
Yeah you would hope. But we have seen them several times before, and they have always ended up going away.
Hand sanitizer is highly flammable and is considered a hazardous material under the Florida Fire Prevention Code, NFPA 101 8.7.3.3. The requirements are not particularly onerous but their are limitations on size and placement of dispensers and storage of the sanitizer. The way dispensers are quickly added are also not always compliant with other aspects of the building, life safety and accessibility codes.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing the poster said constitutes the very definition of a conspiracy.

there are no conspiracies...you need to move to a room with more oxygen/better ventilation

Hand sanitizer is highly flammable and is considered a hazardous material under the Florida Fire Prevention Code, NFPA 101 8.7.3.3. The requirements are not particularly onerous but their are limitations on size and placement of dispensers and storage of the sanitizer. The way dispensers are quickly added are also not always compliant with other aspects of the building, life safety and accessibility codes.

at least 3/4 of the dispensers at wdw were empty last week...maybe more

fyi

guess that’s “fire prevention”?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sort of a repeat... I got a little hate mail on the first post.

DW & I, at 68, were lucky enough to complete our MODERNA regime. From a good three months ago? I've been advising my four children to opt for Pzizer, or Moderna vaccination. WHY? - because the efficacy is superior.

Now? I tell our children the efficacy is superior, AND the risk is lower.

"Warp Speed" was always a bit risky. My personal take is that out of 4 vaccines, 2 have proven to be safe, and very effective. Go with the WINNERS, and CHEER for the rate at which two effective vaccines have been developed :)..

J&J, and Astrazeneca appear to have fundamental basic technology issues. Yes, they might be "good enough" - but I have to ask how much better things would be if the production facilities for this "stuff" simply got co-opted to produce the WINNERS.

This was a race. In any race? There are winners, and losers'.

"All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.
Post immediately deleted, when hate mail arises."
I already got the Moderna vaccine but I would have no issue with getting the JnJ vaccine right now if I hadn’t already gotten one. Less than 1 person for every million vaccinated has even had an issue with clots and there is no guarantee those people actually got the clots from the vaccine. How many of them were on birth control pills? A much more common risk factor for the same clots. All 6 people impacted were women in the age range where birth control is common. I would hope that information comes out at some point.

JnJ overall still has less side effects than the other vaccines. I wouldn’t classify any of them as high risk or even any risk really (the risk level is so low statistically it rounds to zero). All just my opinion, but you are twice as likely to get struck by lightning than get a blood clot from the JnJ vaccine.

correcaminos

Ah, yes, there it is! Trust me, I will continue to as you say "oversimplify and make a bigger deal out of this than you should" because of comments like these.
Did it take you the two days to find that post from mid-Feb of 2020? Talk about a rude answer to my comment towards you. I live in a state that totally locked down and I have actually seen it work well at locations to just say "put your mask on inside" But yes, I do think you are going bigger than you should in your responses. If you see how I adjusted, I took it seriously when I was told to in March. Before that it was totally unknown. But yes, take a 14 month old post out of context to try to slam me. Posts like yours makes me wish blocking here were like on FB.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Did it take you the two days to find that post from mid-Feb of 2020? Talk about a rude answer to my comment towards you. I live in a state that totally locked down and I have actually seen it work well at locations to just say "put your mask on inside" But yes, I do think you are going bigger than you should in your responses. If you see how I adjusted, I took it seriously when I was told to in March. Before that it was totally unknown. But yes, take a 14 month old post out of context to try to slam me. Posts like yours makes me wish blocking here were like on FB.
It took me two seconds as it was on the first page of this thread. If you want to block me, go ahead. It doesn’t change the fact that I will continue to take this seriously even if you or anyone else says they are following the rules while others obviously have not. Just make sure that if you do, this thread will also disappear.

I’ll remind you that I was PILLORIED here for having the audacity to read the tea leaves before whoever told you to start taking it seriously did.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I already got the Moderna vaccine but I would have no issue with getting the JnJ vaccine right now if I hadn’t already gotten one. Less than 1 person for every million vaccinated has even had an issue with clots and there is no guarantee those people actually got the clots from the vaccine. How many of them were on birth control pills? A much more common risk factor for the same clots. All 6 people impacted were women in the age range where birth control is common. I would hope that information comes out at some point.

JnJ overall still has less side effects than the other vaccines. I wouldn’t classify any of them as high risk or even any risk really (the risk level is so low statistically it rounds to zero). All just my opinion, but you are twice as likely to get struck by lightning than get a blood clot from the JnJ vaccine.

The data that came out today said only one was taking estrogen and progesterone. I don't know enough about birth control to say if that answers your question.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

Estrogen/Progesterone use in the 6 was n=1 per a previous post with CDC/FDA data. So, only one in the population of the six know clots. That surprised me as I was expecting to be n=6 or n=5.

That being said, this pause is irresponsible and will erode confidence in not only the J&J vaccine, but all of them in my opinion. The risk of clots from an estrogen/progesterone birth control regimen is 1 in 1000, and the medical community deems that is an acceptable risk. The risk for a clot from the J&J is practically 1 in 1,000,000 and we shut down an entire vaccination campaign using this vaccine. Completely irresponsible in my opinion and it was unacceptable for the panel to decline to issue a recommendation today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom