Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

I think the opposite is true as well. A small but very vocal subset doesn‘t want the pandemic to end because they are enjoying the attention they are getting from resisting rules.
There's also a subset who don't want it to end because then their introverted self has to buck up and be seen in public ;)

In U.K. the time between first and second dose is 12 weeks.
Yes, they wanted to get as many shots in arms without worrying about 2nd doses to try to reduce the severity of the wave. They went against recommendations to do so. The US is not recommending this, nor are the companies running the trial.

Not judging UK, just making a statement. It was getting bad there again when they chose this.

correcaminos

That’s why I said eligible. With that said, it will likely be JnJ. I shouldn’t be hard to get that into interested arms by 11/1.
At that point I totally agree. Even then it should only be the sub 12 group as 12-15 should be good in as soon as a few weeks to next month. At that point even they are such a small portion of the population and adults should be more vaccinated so it shouldn't be really difficult. Though I'm tempted to go to a certain clinic for a summer camp physical in order to get another avenue - my chart - to use to set up appointments.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Everyone needs to recalibrate and *stop caring about cases.* It doesn't matter if it's cumulative or current trends, cases by themselves are statistically irrelevant at this point, because we took an age-and-risk-targeted approach to vaccinations. It's much more important WHO is getting sick. Statistically, you'd rather see 100 cases in a high school than 2 cases in a nursing home, and all of the people in the nursing homes are vaxxed.

Focus on hospitalizations. If you insist on looking at cases, you need to use some kind of age-adjusted metric.
Wait, haven’t people needed to recalibrate and stop caring about cases since last April?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

My take is similar, but slightly different.

There is a small but loud and absolutely real subset of people who don't want the pandemic to end because their normal lives are lonely and uninteresting, and there's a conscious or unconscious part of them that enjoys seeing other people made to live like they do.

If your "normal" sucks, you aren't compelled to get back to it any time soon.

havoc315

I now agree with you that we will see kids eligible by the first day of fall.

12-15 likely by June-August. (My 16-year-old son is going this Friday). Pfizer will apply for EUA by the end of April, it should be granted by June.

Under 12..... Can safely say by early 2022, but it could be sooner. Best case scenario, by September.

Jrb1979

There is a small but loud and absolutely real subset of people who don't want the pandemic to end because their normal lives are lonely and uninteresting, and there's a conscious or unconscious part of them that enjoys seeing other people made to live like they do.

I do want this to end as I want to get back to traveling outside of my country. There is parts of this that I would love to see stay forever. The big one is physical distancing as I love my space.

Yes there is a small part of me that wants this to continue almost forever. It's mainly due to all those who have been whining and complaining this whole time about masks and social distancing. It's mainly to spite those people. It's been a year, you know the restrictions so stop whining about it.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think the opposite is true as well. A small but very vocal subset doesn‘t want the pandemic to end because they are enjoying the attention they are getting from resisting rules.
Everyone wants the pandemic to end so the control freaks can go back to making up resort parking rules and the rule-haters can go back to making up stories about how they got around them.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Everyone wants the pandemic to end so the control freaks can go back to making up resort parking rules and the rule-haters can go back to making up stories about how they got around them.
I have a resort mug that I bought at the Contemporary in 1992 and they said lifetime refills. That entitles me to park at the Contemporary for my dining reservation at the soda machine, even though I'm staying at the Legacy Grand Hotel and Suites on 192. And if I want to stroll over the the Magic Kingdom afterwards without paying for parking, I will, dammit!

disneygeek90

Well then the place I got my shot screwed up. I was 28 days. The scheduling was done when I was there.
Did you happen to go to Walgreens? This happened to me too. 28 days with the Pfizer is still acceptable but Walgreens reservation system is a little funky in that it won't let you look to reschedule anything until you're already AT 21 days.

I just looked on CVS site and selected I only needed a second dose and was able to find a reservation at exactly 21 days.

aliceismad

I do want this to end as I want to get back to traveling outside of my country. There is parts of this that I would love to see stay forever. The big one is physical distancing as I love my space.
I agree that the space is nice. I hate grocery shopping, for instance, and would prefer to keep picking up groceries if I can. I will be happy for other people to feel normal again, feel safe at their jobs again, see their families again, have their kids go back to school, etc. I got my first dose of the vaccine and will be happy to get to travel again. But I'm definitely part of the small subset of people who are enjoying working from home without the inane water cooler talk and office politics.

I realize I've been very lucky to be able to basically work from home for the past year and have a flexible schedule to help my kiddo with virtual school as needed. But I would be content to never go to the office again. I've gained about 90 minutes day by cutting out my commute. I can be at home when my kiddo gets out of school. I'm much more productive because there are fewer interruptions and no noise going on around me, but my closest teammates and I collaborate as much, if not more, than we did in the office because it's so very easy to send messages back and forth, share screens, etc. I'm healthier because I can prepare food at home and have healthy snacks instead of taking frozen meals and eating out. I can hang out with my pets and take them for walks during my break. I can work out during my lunch break without feeling like I have to shower after to avoid bothering my workmates. I can work standing up. I can work outside on my porch.

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to get a vaccine despite being in the "general public" last round. My doctor's office and most other health systems that I checked were still weeks out, but other places like our country health department had open appointments even a day before. Unfortunately I don't think the advertising and coordination is as good as it could be. The vaccine finder that I know many people were using only lists about half the places I was checking.

HarperRose

The country had a slight increase in cases so is now at 19.52 cases per 100,000. Florida stayed at 25. Michigan is at 67, NJ at 48 and NY is out of the 40's and down to 39. On the good side 12 states are in single digits and 3 including Texas are at 10.

60's 1 state
50's. 0 states
40's 1 state
30's. 7 states
20's. 11 states
10's. 19 states
1's. 12 states

31 states are lower than the national average of 19.52. The top 9 states have 41.1% of the country's new cases. In otherwords the other 41 states and the DC have 58.9% of the country's cases.
We'll get a clearer look today once the numbers are reported. The weekend (and holiday) always skew the numbers lower. All the numbers bounce back on Tuesdays.

dreday3

Yes there is a small part of me that wants this to continue almost forever. It's mainly due to all those who have been whining and complaining this whole time about masks and social distancing. It's mainly to spite those people. It's been a year, you know the restrictions so stop whining about it.

A small part of you wants this to go on forever to spite people? Okay....

Funny, the first thing I want to see go is the physical distancing/capacity restrictions and I this say mainly in regards to going to Disney in October - I don't want to wait in a 60 minute line just to get into the Mexico Pavilion! :D

LittleBuford

For goodness’ sake, everyone wants the pandemic to end. We may disagree on what the months ahead are going to look like, but there’s no reason (other than stoking further division) to doubt that we are all on the side of wanting this awful moment to be behind us.

LittleBuford

Well, it seems I’ll have to eat my own words. Why would anyone want this to carry on just to spite others?

Chip Chipperson

Our governor's favorite metric is "test positivity rate," which is even worse and for the same reason. It drives me absolutely insane.

None of the other waves of cases have come when the majority of seniors, including the vast majority of 75+, have been fully vaccinated.

In this instance, X does not cause Y, but they are both the result of common cause Z. We don't take off masks and return to normal BECAUSE cases are falling. We take off masks and return to normal AND cases are falling because the high risk population is vaccinated.

In NJ, hospitalizations for people ages 20-29 rose 31% in March and 48% for people ages 40-49. Seniors getting vaccinated hasn't resulted in hospitalizations decreasing. Statewide, hospitalizations increased 28% over the 2 weeks ending 3/31. Protecting the seniors is great, but people are under the false assumption that they're not at risk for serious cases if they're not in their 70's and that's just not true. The current hospitalization numbers are better than the first 2 waves in NJ but are still trending in the wrong direction because people here just don't want to believe that their actions have consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom