Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So with maybe only half the population and no kids yet getting a vaccination, what could this mean in terms of returning to normalcy?

Outside of kids not having an op to get the vaccination yet, will the rest of us have to suffer with a non normal life because of others decisions to not be as protected? That’s my concern

Could be a normal/semi-normal summer...leading into a spike/precaution fall.

A lot of worry about that scenario

I think 35ish -% have had one shot...21% full vaccinated (adults)

The fear is the knucklers will continue to be their own doctors and the vaccines will flatline in the 50 or 60% range

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Monday 3 states were up. Wednesday 7....today 10

Nobody wants to hear it...but it’s not smooth sailing yet.
I’m looking at longer term trends. I posted the Israel numbers a few pages back. 3 weeks ago there were people here losing their mind saying the numbers in Israel looked terrible and had plateaued. Their little blip reversed course and they are back to full downward. I’m not saying we can’t be at the beginning of a 3rd wave but just that it‘s way too soon to know yet. The general trend is still downward for the national numbers. Let’s see how it looks in 2 or 3 weeks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m looking at longer term trends. I posted the Israel numbers a few pages back. 3 weeks ago there were people here losing their mind saying the numbers in Israel looked terrible and had plateaued. Their little blip reversed course and they are back to full downward. I’m not saying we can’t be at the beginning of a 3rd wave but just that it‘s way too soon to know yet. The general trend is still downward for the national numbers. Let’s see how it looks in 2 or 3 weeks.

I’m not predicting any trend reversal...just pointing out that we have been wrong about most everything...except the epidemiologists. They have used trendlines to give ranges. Which is all anyone can do and they’ve been appropriate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So with maybe only half the population and no kids yet getting a vaccination, what could this mean in terms of returning to normalcy?

Outside of kids not having an op to get the vaccination yet, will the rest of us have to suffer with a non normal life because of others decisions to not be as protected? That’s my concern
Could be a problem. Vaccine hesitancy is the biggest roadblock to us getting a return to normal. It will be a tragedy if we have enough vaccine doses for every eligible American come May 15th but only 50-60% of people have gotten it. In good news 67% of people 65+ have gotten at least 1 shot. In a handful of states they are still only doing 75+ and in many states it’s still difficult to get appointments. That number could easily get into the 75-80% range nationally. That group is more likely to want the vaccine than younger people, but it’s still a good sign that we are near 70% on the first group eligible.

JoeCamel

Could be a problem. Vaccine hesitancy is the biggest roadblock to us getting a return to normal. It will be a tragedy if we have enough vaccine doses for every eligible American come May 15th but only 50-60% of people have gotten it. In good news 67% of people 65+ have gotten at least 1 shot. In a handful of states they are still only doing 75+ and in many states it’s still difficult to get appointments. That number could easily get into the 75-80% range nationally. That group is more likely to want the vaccine than younger people, but it’s still a good sign that we are near 70% on the first group eligible.
That is when they go door to door. It is already happening in minority communities here and some of the teams are offering on the spot vaccines. When someone shows up at your house you might say what the heck and say go ahead, all the impediments are gone and its private, that should get more done.

hopemax

The writing is on the wall, that people are going to do nothing. The school situation, and states lifting restrictions show that we've reached the point where anything government does will be fighting a losing battle. Some states will hold out until we reach the point where vaccines are available to anyone as a walkup. Then whatever happens happens. I think this will translate into most people going back to normal, but a quarter-ish of people being suspicious and distrustful which will have ramifications in the recovery phase.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That is when they go door to door. It is already happening in minority communities here and some of the teams are offering on the spot vaccines. When someone shows up at your house you might say what the heck and say go ahead, all the impediments are gone and its private, that should get more done.
Agreed. I saw in some states they had allocated a portion of the JnJ doses for mobile vaccine units. Basically a van that drove into certain areas and vaccinated anyone that wanted it. No questions asked. We are fast approaching the switch from push to pull where the supply exceeds demand. Governors and local leaders so far have been judged on how efficient they were at getting vaccination sites setup but we are going to see a switch to judging them on how effective they are at getting the rest of the people vaccinated.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Could be a normal/semi-normal summer...leading into a spike/precaution fall.

A lot of worry about that scenario

I think 35ish -% have had one shot...21% full vaccinated (adults)

The fear is the knucklers will continue to be their own doctors and the vaccines will flatline in the 50 or 60% range
@GoofGoof is really gonna spike or surge by Fall or Winter? I'm worried about that. Is going to back to normal soon for good?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
@GoofGoof is really gonna spike or surge by Fall or Winter? I'm worried about that. Is going to back to normal soon for good?
Who knows, it could go either way, but nothing to worry about either way. All we can do is continue to do our part: wear a mask, distance, wash our hands and get the vaccine when we are eligible. If most people do those things we will likely avoid another wave and get back to normal life.

correcaminos

You could use a disinfecting wipe after you touched it?

For people that care (I don't use the handrails) you could use sanitizer?

Yeah, warm ones - tough reminder of what went before

I can honestly say I have never heard of "New Jersey style" pizza anywhere in the world. Y'all are cray cray
Wiping after touching doesn't help me. It's the touching during that I loathe because of touching after other hot hands. I just don't like it, but I do it. I don't routinely carry wipes or santizer tbh. Would rather wash hands, but would love it if I could skip this all together from here on out.

DisneyCane

I saw these things on restroom doors in town restaurants. Sorry I'm too uncoordinated to stand on one foot and pull the door with my other foot. :eek:
I saw those at a McDonald's somewhere in South Dakota a few years ago and thought it was the greatest thing ever. They are very easy to use. I hate public restrooms with inward opening doors that require you to grab a handle to get out.

JoeCamel

I saw those at a McDonald's somewhere in South Dakota a few years ago and thought it was the greatest thing ever. They are very easy to use. I hate public restrooms with inward opening doors that require you to grab a handle to get out.
Paper towels and a trash can by the door. Natural to have a wad in your hand just pull the door open. Most places don't get that so no can. Often a few by the door.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

tenor.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I just heard some disturbing sound bites about vaccine resistance (you really don’t want to know)

Lilofan

Who knows, it could go either way, but nothing to worry about either way. All we can do is continue to do our part: wear a mask, distance, wash our hands and get the vaccine when we are eligible. If most people do those things we will likely avoid another wave and get back to normal life.
I maybe too cautious but after my second Moderna shot in mid Feb, I continue to mask up, social distance and the whole nine yards. I'm not going to let my guard down. But I will take what I had to go through with Moderna second shot side effects instead of contacting Covid anyday.

James J

In the Parks
No
I maybe too cautious but after my second Moderna shot in mid Feb, I continue to mask up, social distance and the whole nine yards. I'm not going to let my guard down. But I will take what I had to go through with Moderna second shot side effects instead of contacting Covid anyday.
Not too cautious at all, that's absolutely the right thing to be doing at the moment.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am very cautious. Once I get my vaccine, I probably will only start doing things that other people are already comfortable doing with out a vaccine.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You should do those things. A time is coming eventually where we won’t need to do those things but we’re not even close to being there yet. There’s no short cut, we have to follow through all the way until the very end. The better we contain cases now the lower the starting point for cases to come down from and the faster the vaccines do their thing and get us back to normal. If cases do spike and surge now that only delays the return to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom