Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Big difference as:
1 -- It's a mandatory touch point. A conscientious guest could largely avoid most bare handed touches. It's not that hard to get through a day at WDW without many touches.
2 -- It's thousands of people per day touching the exact same tiny spot.

You would have to be a serious germ-a-phobe to go a whole day without touching anything in the parks. The average person probably doesn't even realize how many times they touch things during a day in the park.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right, but (similarly deadly) * (more cases) = (more deaths). Or at least should. Btu there could be many other differences: demographics, medical care, etc.

I saw an article that correlated fatality rate per country with average BMI and there was a decent correlation. It's at least a hypothesis as to why the virus has not struck Africa and Asia as hard as the US/Europe/Latin America. Asians and Africans tend to be skinnier.
Yes, totally agree. The variant could account for their higher cases per capita but not less deaths. Not sure on testing level either. It’s possible they test more and as a result show more positive cases. Lots of factors.

MaryJaneP

You would have to be a serious germ-a-phobe to go a whole day without touching anything in the parks. The average person probably doesn't even realize how many times they touch things during a day in the park.
It might be somewhat informative to sprinkle black-light sensitive powder on various touch-points in a park as an experiment. A different color per "land" could reveal at an exit black-light station not only who touched stuff and what lands they visited but also how effective or ineffective they were if they visited a restroom and supposedly did the 20 second handwash routine as opposed to the usual "splash and dash" technique. This might highlight areas where WDW could strengthen cleaning/disinfecting efforts.

Tom P.

Neither am I. I did a google search and didn’t find any source to back up your claim. Since you can’t easily find it either, I’m taking that as you have no source.
Let me see if I can help.

There have been two large studies, one by The Mayo Clinic and one in Israel, on whether or not people who have been vaccinated are actually protected from infection and transmission, or whether they can still get the virus and just be asymptomatic, thus potentially still spreading it to others. Both studies have shown that the former is the case, that the vaccine not only prevents symptoms but is actually effective in preventing infection and spread.

Here are links to a couple of news articles which have covered the studies. The first relates to the study in Israel. The second to the study by The Mayo Clinic.

hopemax

Two of the virologists/ ID Epi, I follow just released a paper talking about asymptomatic transmission

In their paper they say "The prevalence of symptomless cases is not precisely established. Early studies reported that asymptomatic cases accounted for 30 to 80% of infections (3), but more recent data point to a rate of asymptomatic cases between 17 and 30%"

TrainsOfDisney

Two of the virologists I follow just released a paper talking about asymptomatic transmission

In their paper they say "The prevalence of symptomless cases is not precisely established. Early studies reported that asymptomatic cases accounted for 30 to 80% of infections (3), but more recent data point to a rate of asymptomatic cases between 17 and 30%"
Thank you!

MaryJaneP

Not according to this January 2021 Journal of the American Medical Association article.

"Meaning The findings of this study suggest that the identification and isolation of persons with symptomatic COVID-19 alone will not control the ongoing spread of SARS-CoV-2."

While that study looks at asymptomatic transmission, hanging life and death decisions on "may"s, however desirable, leaves a huge uncertainty over the transmissible nature of either asymptomatic and/or vaccinated people.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 53 new reported deaths, along with 1 Non-Florida Resident death.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.09.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.17.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.17.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 3.09.26 PM.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So it seems like recent studies are indicating (a) that asymptomatic spread generally may account for less infections than we thought and (b) vaccinated people may not be able to spread the virus. If both of those things are true, that would be great news!

With the amount of spread this virus has had it's hard to believe that non-symptomatic people (either asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic) aren't a big driver of infection. One of the reasons the first SARS virus was brought under control was that people weren't significant infectious until they were very ill.

mmascari

If this new announcement doesn't come with nuance that it only applies when masks are worn and not in situations where masks are off, such as while eating, I will eat this post. Probably with some hot sauce.

Physical distancing​

Core principle for physical distancing: Establish school policies and implement structural interventions to promote physical distance between people.

• Between students in classrooms
    • In elementary schools, students should be at least 3 feet apart.1
    • In middle schools and high schools, students should be at least 3 feet apart in areas of low, moderate, or substantial community transmission. In areas of high community transmission, middle and high school students should be 6 feet apart if cohorting is not possible.1,2, 4-6
  • Maintain 6 feet of distance in the following settings:
    • Between adults (teachers and staff), and between adults and students, at all times in the school building. Several studies have found that transmission between staff is more common than transmission between students and staff, and among students, in schools.1
    • When masks cannot be worn, such as when eating.
    • During activities when increased exhalation occurs, such as singing, shouting, band, or sports and exercise. Move these activities outdoors or to large, well-ventilated space, when possible.
    • In common areas such as school lobbies and auditoriums.
I'm going to assume I'm safe and don't need to eat the post.

I didn't expect the age distinctions. The other ones all make sense, since those things are different mitigations instead of distance. The community transmission distinction makes sense too, since that's the threat level.

Any facility that can meet the same guidelines should be able to follow them, not just schools.

Those age distinctions make that a harder proposition. But, something like an art studio, sewing studio could all use the same. A grocery store for only pre-teens.

It would be nice if there was a guideline defined for adults that also supported reducing the distance. Something short of a hazmat suit.

No restaurant comparison though, that would be harder to argue should be 3 feet based on this change.

seascape

Numbers are out - there were 53 new reported deaths, along with 1 Non-Florida Resident death.

View attachment 540635View attachment 540637View attachment 540636View attachment 540638
Good news for me today, is I now have 2 Pfizer shots and in 2 weeks will meet the CDC definition of fully vaccinated. Further, based on the numbers above Forida is down to an average of 4622 cases per day which still comes to 21.3 cases a day using 2020 numbers or 20.8 using 2021 estimated population. I am looking forward to the actual census numbers next month so we can all know the real cases per 100,000.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm cheering for you in particular, NJ. Mainly because I want to spend some time in Ocean City later this summer.

Just don’t eat that crappy manco manco

Good news for me today, is I now have 2 Pfizer shots and in 2 weeks will meet the CDC definition of fully vaccinated. Further, based on the numbers above Forida is down to an average of 4622 cases per day which still comes to 21.3 cases a day using 2020 numbers or 20.8 using 2021 estimated population. I am looking forward to the actual census numbers next month so we can all know the real cases per 100,000.

That’s 2.5 times the original target for flattening the “curve”

Florida isn’t as bright as it claims it is...really ever...on anything.

correcaminos

For me it's an ick factor. When the touchpoint is warm and sweaty from the person(s) before me it's gross. I hate them and I'm not a germaphobe, but I get icked out like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom