Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaughingGravy

But as noted... all the data we have of the efficacy of the vaccines was performed on the original strain of the virus. We now have at least three different, far more contagious variants circulating in the country, and at least one will likely be the dominant variant by the end of April. We don't have in vivo data on how well the current vaccines stack up against these variants in terms of reduction in symptomatic cases, hospitalizations, deaths or virulence, but we have at least some in vitro data to suggest that they may not be as effective.

So, unless we really want to risk going right back to square one YET AGAIN, perhaps continuing to observe precautions for now might be more than warrante
That would be a good idea, but people will people, presuming "rights", "personal decisions", and "beliefs". That last one is probably the most dangerous.

havoc315

is Brazil is still working on a vaccine to stop variants?

Let's put it this way -- All the vaccine makers are studying the responsiveness to the variants and most are developing a booster mechanism for variants.

Right now -- There is no reason to believe the existing vaccines won't work against the variants. It's still early. The vaccines may be less effective against certain variants, but so far, there is no reason to believe they won't work.

There is evidence that naturally acquired immunity is ineffective for long-term protection against some of the new variants.

hopemax

It's been 36 minutes since I got the Washington Post alert and 34 minutes since this post.

Where's the link to the actual CDC release of the guideline with all the nuance details left out of the story headlines?

That's the breaking news topic I come to this discussion for. Who's slacking? ;) :cool:
This is not the guidance, but a reasoning document.

Heppenheimer

Let's put it this way -- All the vaccine makers are studying the responsiveness to the variants and most are developing a booster mechanism for variants.

Right now -- There is no reason to believe the existing vaccines won't work against the variants. It's still early. The vaccines may be less effective against certain variants, but so far, there is no reason to believe they won't work.

There is evidence that naturally acquired immunity is ineffective for long-term protection against some of the new variants.
I wonder if we'll get an official retraction from Dr. Scott Atlas.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
CDC changed recommendations for schools to three feet. They noted that transmission between staff members is still more common, and therefore continue to recommend 6 feet between adults..

So I don't expect any change to WDW social distancing as a result of this new recommendation.
They are removing distancing on rides already without any need for a change to CDC guidelines and I think that will continue. Just like the airlines have done. Airlines require zero feet of distancing (with masks) and there have been no known outbreaks from air travel. You can see where taking one study and changing the rules can open Pandora’s box. It’s clear to me that this change is taking something that’s highly desired (opening all schools) and making a change to make that possible. I’m ok with that, but it’s a slippery slope when other people see other things as highly desirable to bring back.

DCBaker

Premium Member

MIAMI, March 19, 2021 – "This summer, travelers can trade in virtual travel experiences for their long-awaited vacations and cruise in The Bahamas and Mexico with Royal Caribbean International. The global cruise line has announced a summer lineup of 7-night cruises on board Adventure of the Seas, setting sail this June from new homeport Nassau, The Bahamas. Vacationers now have the chance to island-hop and relish the adventures they have missed, including the first series of two back-to-back days on Perfect Day at CocoCay, Royal Caribbean’s game-changing private island destination in The Bahamas, and quality time exploring Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas and Cozumel, Mexico.

Travelers looking ahead to their summer vacations can book their roundtrip cruise as soon as Wednesday, March 24 and set sail starting June 12. The new itineraries departing through August, which will sail with vaccinated crew, will be available to adult guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and those under the age of 18 with negative test results."

“We are excited to get back to delivering memorable vacations in the Caribbean, gradually and safely. The vaccines are clearly a game changer for all of us, and with the number of vaccinations and their impact growing rapidly, we believe starting with cruises for vaccinated adult guests and crew is the right choice. As we move forward, we expect this requirement and other measures will inevitably evolve over time,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “The opportunity to homeport in The Bahamas is a testament to the tremendous partners the government and the people of the island nation have been to us for more than 50 years. We are grateful for the confidence that they have in us and our commitment to a healthy and happy return to sailing.”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's a flip side to this, though. In the first article I read about the Rand-Fauci clash, it was reported that one of the senators said they wore a mask to "give comfort to others." I believe Rand made reference to that comment. That kind of statement has to stop because all it does is trigger people. Masks should be used for one purpose only - to stop the spread of the virus - and their use should be based on science. Everything Fauci said made sense to me; the comment about giving comfort to others did not.

A leader giving an indoor dinner party after telling others not to do so is hypocritical and should cause people to get upset. And I believe people would get on board with a statement that, until most people are vaccinated, everyone must social distance and wear masks because enforcement would otherwise not be possible. Enforcement is a valid reason. But grandstanding is useless, and it goes both ways. Officials wearing masks when they are nowhere near another person is silly; I would rather have them make a brief statement as to why the circumstances do not require it.
I agree on all of this except for the last sentence. I think there’s a lot of value in having leaders follow the rules they expect the public to follow. We need people to keep masking for now even if they are vaccinated. We need to make it a little longer. If Joe Biden stopped wearing a mask now because he’s vaccinated it would replace “Fauci said no masks in March 2020” as the rally cry of the anti-mask people.

havoc315

They are removing distancing on rides already without any need for a change to CDC guidelines and I think that will continue. Just like the airlines have done. Airlines require zero feet of distancing (with masks) and there have been no known outbreaks from air travel. You can see where taking one study and changing the rules can open Pandora’s box. It’s clear to me that this change is taking something that’s highly desired (opening all schools) and making a change to make that possible. I’m ok with that, but it’s a slippery slope when other people see other things as highly desirable to bring back.

Agreed. No official announcement.. they will just gradually reduce the distancing. At first, with plexiglass. But eventually, fill more and more rows, with or without plexiglass.

DCBaker

Premium Member
It's been 36 minutes since I got the Washington Post alert and 34 minutes since this post.

Where's the link to the actual CDC release of the guideline with all the nuance details left out of the story headlines?

That's the breaking news topic I come to this discussion for. Who's slacking? ;) :cool:

Here it is -

Direct links -

JoeCamel

The only ones wearing masks perhaps will be some of the wrestlers.
25000 a night and runs two nights. Same capacity for the superbowl but unclear if any seats will be on the field. I suspect the stands only

A note on the WrestleMania Ticketmaster page said that seating would be in pods of one to six people, and that pods must be purchased in their entirety and can not be split. Face coverings must be worn unless otherwise exempted by law, the note said.

Prices for tickets range from $35-$2,500.

MIAMI, March 19, 2021 – "This summer, travelers can trade in virtual travel experiences for their long-awaited vacations and cruise in The Bahamas and Mexico with Royal Caribbean International. The global cruise line has announced a summer lineup of 7-night cruises on board Adventure of the Seas, setting sail this June from new homeport Nassau, The Bahamas. Vacationers now have the chance to island-hop and relish the adventures they have missed, including the first series of two back-to-back days on Perfect Day at CocoCay, Royal Caribbean’s game-changing private island destination in The Bahamas, and quality time exploring Grand Bahama Island, The Bahamas and Cozumel, Mexico.

Travelers looking ahead to their summer vacations can book their roundtrip cruise as soon as Wednesday, March 24 and set sail starting June 12. The new itineraries departing through August, which will sail with vaccinated crew, will be available to adult guests who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and those under the age of 18 with negative test results."

“We are excited to get back to delivering memorable vacations in the Caribbean, gradually and safely. The vaccines are clearly a game changer for all of us, and with the number of vaccinations and their impact growing rapidly, we believe starting with cruises for vaccinated adult guests and crew is the right choice. As we move forward, we expect this requirement and other measures will inevitably evolve over time,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean International. “The opportunity to homeport in The Bahamas is a testament to the tremendous partners the government and the people of the island nation have been to us for more than 50 years. We are grateful for the confidence that they have in us and our commitment to a healthy and happy return to sailing.”

Oh joy, July in the Bahamas! I wonder if they will discount the first few sailings to get people onboard? If half price I go solo!

DisneyCane

Several articles posted over the past few months in this very thread by other posters. Feel free to search through.
Doesn't this directly contradict much of the prior science that asymptomatic transmission was the primary cause of the pandemic? Not even sure the mask argument is even about incoming infections alone. Both directions seem to be in play here.
No. Early on they were guessing that the primary cause was asymptomatic transmission. Over time it was determined that it was presymptomatic transmission that was the main driver. Therefore, somebody who never develops any symptoms is not likely to be a spreader.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just an update on Israel. 49% of the population fully vaccinated and cases are on the steady decline. In reference to variants, the UK variant is currently dominant there with around 80% of cases being from that mutation. Stick with the plan: wear a mask, distance, avoid large groups, get vaccinated and start planning that July 4th BBQ 💥⭐🎉🎊

137E09D1-8759-4E85-8319-E343A72D1A0B.png

DCBaker

Premium Member
"As vaccinations rise and COVID-19 cases slowly decrease, the Walt Disney Co. is gradually bringing workers back with a phased reopening of its U.S. offices after the July 4 weekend, a source tells Variety.

Staffers were informed of the news via an internal video memo; only a fraction of the company’s employees will return to the office at first.

Disney is the latest media conglomerate to lay out its plans for a return to professional normalcy after a year of largely working from home during the coronavirus pandemic, though the new normal will look quite different for most."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. No official announcement.. they will just gradually reduce the distancing. At first, with plexiglass. But eventually, fill more and more rows, with or without plexiglass.

People often ask when Disney will go back to normal. I think a lot of that is going to be just like this, very small changes over time and very few really big changes.

havoc315

Just an update on Israel. 49% of the population fully vaccinated and cases are on the steady decline. In reference to variants, the UK variant is currently dominant there with around 80% of cases being from that mutation. Stick with the plan: wear a mask, distance, avoid large groups, get vaccinated and start planning that July 4th BBQ 💥⭐🎉🎊

View attachment 540614

Israel is doing great. It hopefully shows us where we can be in another 6-8 weeks.

The UK variant appears more transmissible than the Wuhan variant, but no less responsive to vaccines.
The variants with E484K drop-off are currently causing a bit more concern in NYC ICUs.

Kevin_W

But as noted... all the data we have of the efficacy of the vaccines was performed on the original strain of the virus.
I know you are aware of this (perhaps I'm just being pendantic), but there have been more than one strain of the virus since close to the beginning. Last year, we were talking about the strain from Wuhan and the strain from Italy. Here's an article from last August talking about 6 different strains of the virus.

So I don't think it's accurate to say the efficacy was from just 1 form of the virus, maybe just earlier forms of the virus.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

View attachment 540614
Is UK variant will not become dominant in USA because vaccines is stopping them? Is there will be not another surge or spike anymore in USA?

SamusAranX

There was a pop-up clinic at a Community Health Center in Clermont - they had a very low turnout for eligible recipients and started taking people who were waiting in the waste avoidance line. They had one in Winter Garden on Tuesday and had a similar turnout (which is why a bunch of non-eligible people showed up to wait!)

Thanks! That's not far from me! Is that a one time thing, or is it something they do daily?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Israel is doing great. It hopefully shows us where we can be in another 6-8 weeks.

The UK variant appears more transmissible than the Wuhan variant, but no less responsive to vaccines.
The variants with E484K drop-off are currently causing a bit more concern in NYC ICUs.
I haven’t seen any studies showing that the vaccines are any less effective vs the NY variant. Is there some evidence of that? Are we seeing large numbers of vaccinated people getting sick in NY now? Wouldn’t that be the case if the vaccines didn’t work against the variant. I haven’t seen that reported and the NY variant is pretty common in the NYC area. I would assume if it was happening widespread that we would be hearing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom