Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Rand Paul and his don't thread on me crowd have been against the science since day one, now he is after Fauci again and trying to school him on the science. I get it, he and millions others are frustrated, tired and want to move on, but we really don't know the extent that the variants will bring. Like you said, mask up and be responsible until we are really in the clear.
And these variants, which Fauci was trying to explain, are starting to sound more and more scary. A recent article (https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...318_MSCPEDIT&uac=263100MZ&impID=3257584&faf=1) noted that the antibodies induced by the current vaccines are considerably less effective at neutralizing at least two of the variant strains than the original wild type. The big caveats are that these were only in vitro studies, and that vaccines promote more than just antibody responses. We still don't have real world data on the effects of these strains in people who are fully vaccinated, but this just demonstrates the vital importance of maintaining on-going precautions.

Note that the headline of the article I linked is a little more alarmist than the actual contents.

And yeah, Rand Paul... as a physician, you should know much better.

Last edited:

mmascari

If the NY Yankees and Mets can do it why can't Disney? For opening day the stadiums will sell 20% of their seating capacity and fans must show proof of vaccination or negative Covid test for their opening day game to be allowed to enter.
Has any more information been released on how someone proves they’re vaccinated? There was a blurb about an app earlier, but nothing about providing proof to get the app, just marketing buzzwords.

Are they still requiring masks too? At 20% capacity, I would assume there’s plenty of distance, unless they’re packing everyone in the lower sections. Kind of makes the vaccine/test redundant if you’re not eliminating other mitigations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Has any more information been released on how someone proves they’re vaccinated? There was a blurb about an app earlier, but nothing about providing proof to get the app, just marketing buzzwords.

Are they still requiring masks too? At 20% capacity, I would assume there’s plenty of distance, unless they’re packing everyone in the lower sections. Kind of makes the vaccine/test redundant if you’re not eliminating other mitigations.
I think you just show that you changed your Facebook status to vaccinated ;)

DCBaker

Premium Member
In florida? where is that thing?

There was a pop-up clinic at a Community Health Center in Clermont - they had a very low turnout for eligible recipients and started taking people who were waiting in the waste avoidance line. They had one in Winter Garden on Tuesday and had a similar turnout (which is why a bunch of non-eligible people showed up to wait!)

Kevin_W

And these variants, which Fauci was trying to explain, are starting to sound more and more scary. A recent article (https://www.medscape.com/viewarticl...318_MSCPEDIT&uac=263100MZ&impID=3257584&faf=1) noted that the antibodies induced by the current vaccines are considerably less effective at neutralizing at least two of the variant strains than the original wild type. The big caveats are that these were only in vitro studies, and that vaccines promote more than just antibody responses. We still don't have real world data on the effects of these strains in people who are fully vaccinated, but this just demonstrates the vital importance of maintaining on-going precautions.

Note that the headline of the article I linked is a little more alarmist than the actual contents.

And yeah, Rand Paul... as a physician, you should know much better.
In other bad vaccine news:

Although, again South aAfrica has flattened down at <10% of the cases of it's January peak even without the vaccine.

Kevin_W

I know @DisneyCane has posted about the virus rates in Florda LTC facilties. Ohio's governor just shared some data: there were 70 cases in LTC facilities this week, compared to 157 cases last week and 2800 cases/week at the peak.

So while the state wide case rate has declined 85% from the peak, the LTC rate has declined 97.5%. That's a pretty strong data point for vaccine efficacy.

Also, Ohio hasn't reported a virus fatality in nearly a week. Given that 93% of deaths so far have been age 60+ and vaccine are complete for over 1/3 of that age group, I'm sure that is helping.

GimpYancIent

Yes the Yankees will have plenty of room to spread their 20%.
1616114359393.png

JoeCamel

I know @DisneyCane has posted about the virus rates in Florda LTC facilties. Ohio's governor just shared some data: there were 70 cases in LTC facilities this week, compared to 157 cases last week and 2800 cases/week at the peak.

So while the state wide case rate has declined 85% from the peak, the LTC rate has declined 97.5%. That's a pretty strong data point for vaccine efficacy.

Also, Ohio hasn't reported a virus fatality in nearly a week. Given that 93% of deaths so far have been age 60+ and vaccine are complete for over 1/3 of that age group, I'm sure that is helping.
The death rate is outstanding! We are still plugging along at ~80 a day or so :(

Crunchie9

If the NY Yankees and Mets can do it why can't Disney? For opening day the stadiums will sell 20% of their seating capacity and fans must show proof of vaccination or negative Covid test for their opening day game to be allowed to enter.
As a shareholder I really really really don’t want them to cut off their leg and isolate upwards of 30% of their market.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Really good on fatalities. PA is doing much better too with a few days in the single digits but we haven’t had a zero day yet.

hopemax

So interesting commentary about the MA School Study that is leading to the 3' vs 6' policy, on my EpiTwitter. Basically, many think it was a poor study that is being used to justify a policy change that people desperately want. The conclusion may be true, but they relied on self-reporting based on district policies, and only cases officially reported to the state (and we know schools have been caught playing games about this) and have so many caveats to their data collection that it doesn't have the confidence levels that you would want when using it to decide policy recommendations for an entire country. I took a look at the study and there are two large paragraphs of disclaimers that I don't think would pass WDWmagic's rigorous study-standards ;) if the conclusion would have said that 6' was better.

Think about how much crap gets thrown toward the mask effectiveness studies, and other distancing studies about how well it duplicates an actual exposure situation vs a lab setup? But for this, everyone is all "study says it's safe," without actually looking at the details to see if it was a well-designed study. I don't have kids, so I don't have a dog in this race. But if we demand good studies, and good science, shouldn't we want to make sure that is what happened when the conclusion is something people want to hear?

seascape

I am off this morning to get my 2nd shot so I don't have much time. The country had a slight improvement yesterday to an average of 54,729 new cases a day or 16.5 per 100,000. Florida stayed at 21 cases per 100,000 with an average of 4495 a day, 20.7. NJ increased to 43 but NY and RI dropped 1 to 35 and 34 respectively.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
This month goes crazy, there will may or not be another surge or spike cause lifting restrictions early, people needs more vaccinating faster in USA, variants may dominants by end of March or early April. We are never get back to normal by July 4th or Fall/Winter. I want masks and social distancing go away soon so I will enjoy summer this year. Will concerts, events, etc will return by Fall/Winter? Will there will be back to normal by July or Fall? is NJ will getting people vaccinating faster by July and lose masks and social distancing by July so they will get back to normal?

JoeCamel

This month goes crazy, there will may or not be another surge or spike cause lifting restrictions early, people needs more vaccinating faster in USA, variants may dominants by end of March or early April. We are never get back to normal by July 4th or Fall/Winter. I want masks and social distancing go away soon so I will enjoy summer this year. Will concerts, events, etc will return by Fall/Winter? Will there will be back to normal by July or Fall? is NJ will getting people vaccinating faster by July and lose masks and social distancing by July so they will get back to normal?
Wrestlemania next month at Ray Jay in Tampa

CatesMom

There's a drive-thru covid testing pop-up tent facility nearby that texts you the results in a few minutes. Seems like a viable alternative to proving vaccination, especially if person cannot be vaccinated. Yes, there is a cost. Add it to the cost of the ticket and consider the ticketholder lucky to attend a game while, simultaneously, knowing the ticketholder and everyone around them is either vaccinated or has tested negative.
My daughter's (Pre-K to 8) school is planning to host one of these quick-test events before the students return from Spring Break. Not mandatory, so it will be interesting to see how the turn out goes.

ABQ

Rand Paul and his don't thread on me crowd have been against the science since day one, now he is after Fauci again and trying to school him on the science. I get it, he and millions others are frustrated, tired and want to move on, but we really don't know the extent that the variants will bring. Like you said, mask up and be responsible until we are really in the clear.
I tried to watch that entire exchange objectively and I'm not sure I see where Paul was against science. In fact, I saw him repeatedly ask Fauci to explain what science or study has shown that someone who has recovered from Covid or has been fully vaccinated against Covid has become re-infected with the virus and why that person should be required to wear a mask? Fauci hypothesized that some new variant may still infect that person. True as that may be, one of thousand things could infect someone, but conjecture is not science.

Mark52479

So the state of Florida has now lowered the age to 50 and over for anyone who wants the vaccine.

Reading an article in todays local paper and after just listening to the Governor's press conference it is a little concerning.

When the state opened it up to 60 just last week there was really no demand they are saying. Somewhere around 50-60% of people in the 60 age group wanted it.

Their internal numbers are showing people below 40 years old and younger, that drops all the way down to around 40% of that age group will get it.

I dont now how we get to 80% nationwide if this trends in other state.

I am thinking 60-65%% nationwide now will probably be where we end up.

DisneyDebRob

I’m asking this because I really don’t know the reason and in my head it makes sense doing. Would love to know the other side from anyone.
So we are 2 months away for the most part, maybe a bit longer in some places, shorter then others in some places for the end of the school year. Now believe me, I feel for the kids that need to be back in that environment.. also feel for the parents who have been changing their lives the last year for home schooling and all the virtual stuff. Here’s the question.. why with so little time left in this year are we pushing to get the schools open for maybe a few days.. for maybe a few days for a few kids. Is a month or two of going in and out really going to help? Why not wait until August-September, the new year, when we will have so much more under control, vaccines widely administered,etc..then attack it with a good plan? I mean just this week 3 schools in PA that just opened 2 weeks ago are closed again for deep cleaning for 2 weeks with outbreaks. Please convince me why we can’t wait just a bit longer when I don’t believe 2 months of who knows what in trying to open schools won’t do much of anything but probably more confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom