Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Let's hope it's a number way lower than 95%. Otherwise, it's going to be a rough ride.

Thank you. I'm not just some crazy person making stuff up, but it's got a real basis. Always good to know oneself isn't losing it, at least not about this.

This just highlights how poor the information is that comes out with the guidelines. Plus how extra poor the reporting of that information is. In the beginning, it was kind of obvious, prevent all kinds of interactions to stop infected people from passing the virus on, keep yourself safe and don't give it to someone else. But, now, the guidance has two conflicting messages at the individual level. First, get the vaccine it'll protect you and you probably cannot give it to someone else. But, also, still prevent all kinds of interactions with anyone you cannot be sure isn't infected, well maybe just 1 person at a time.

That leaves us speculating on all kinds of stuff. Like, if the first is good, why does someone need to do the second? And, if someone still needs to do the second, what's the point of getting the first at the individual level. What's the reason for the single household exception? Is that exception creating risk to goal the guideline is supporting? Presumably, the exception creates very little extra risk for a very large value reward and that's why it's worth having, but we have no idea. If we knew the reasons, it would be possible to determine the added risk to expanding it and how far it could be expanded or why not, guidance about those impacts. (Obviously at public health level, the point of getting the vaccine is to end the pandemic.) If they published the reasons behind the guidance, people would be able to understand why the guidance matters. Something like "this guidance is to achieve X goal". Then, we could debate if those goals had value or not.

At a high level, some of this is more marketing related that real informative too. Things like the 100 days of masking, or 100 million shots in 100 days. I don't think those values were chosen for actual goals. As many many pages here have pointed out, 100 days may not end all mask, and 100 million shots was "to aggressive on the first day, but really a way to small goal by day 3". I think these were more like slogans and jingles. 100 in 100 is good marketing. It's easy to repeat and sounds like a sales pitch. We may debate their value as real metrics, but I don't think they were ever intended to be the real metric, just a marketing slogan.

We're missing key information surrounding the guidelines. Then we all color our views based on both our guessing of the unstated goals, our thoughts on if those goals aren't reached, and our desires for what we want. With different unstated goals, we end up talking past each other.

Its like watching a drop to close ride warrior debate with a parent of 3 kids under 5 the best strategy for a magic kingdom day. The first doesn't understand why anyone would leave the park at noon for 4 hours, a swim, and a nap. While the second doesn't understand how anyone could spend 12, 16, or more hours in a row inside the park. :cool:
The "why" has always been muddled. Without getting into the "they lied" v. "changing science" debate, I remember seeing a newscast early on where we were being told that it's not necessary to wear face masks. Behind the newscasters a large screen was showing scenes from China, Italy, etc. where everyone was wearing masks. I remember thinking at the time that we're not physiologically different, so was the difference in advice based on our scientists knowing more than these other countries about the virus and how it spread? a belief that the virus wouldn't spread here? wanting to avoid mask-hoarding on the same scale as toilet paper and cleaning supplies? We weren't told why. Then a few weeks later our surgeon general was on TV showing people how to make a mask out of a handkerchief and two rubber bands. I was fine with the new message, but disappointed in what appeared to be the earlier, unexplained manipulation.

The CDC guidelines seem clear on telling people what to do, but you are correct that they don't explain why. I would have loved it if Biden came out on day 1 and just took "why" off the table for awhile. He could have said something like "The vaccine has just started rolling out, this virus has acted in unpredictable ways and we don't know what will happen with variants, case numbers, etc. Get the vaccine as soon as it's available to you and continue with current mitigation for the next 100 days even if things are going better than expected. At that time, we will have a much better idea of how many people have been vaccinated and what is going on with the virus to the point where we can reassess our guidelines." I think people do better with short term goals, and the 100 days would have accomplished that. Just my thoughts.

ABQ

Desantis of FL cannot be so foolish to not recognize that Tourism is the #1 industry in FL. Vaccine passports with visitors coming from all over the world to visit the Sunshine State is necessary.
Is your assumption that someone from Japan, for example, would be hesitant to visit Florida in the future because they don't require a vaccine passport? Or that the feds won't allow foreign visitors to FL because they don't require a vaccine passport? Just not sure I'm following why some are upset with his stance on them?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well some interesting news coming out of Press conference right now with the Governor of Florida. @GoofGoof you talk about this a lot.

Governor just said "Vaccine Passports at a state level will NOT happen in Florida, and if Private entities try to do it the state will try to fight it"

hmmmm this is going to get ugly.............
Yeah, not a shock. I hate to say this, but I fear when we hit May/June FL is going to be in the bottom half of states for percent of population vaccinated. When the Governor has consistently downplayed Covid and implied its only an issue for 65+ it’s hard to get people to then want to be vaccinated. Aside from the public health issues and needless deaths I hope that doesn‘t also stall things re-opening fully, especially WDW. As I’ve said from the start of this the economy doesn’t work when a large portion of people don’t participate. If enough people don’t get vaccinated and cases stay higher it’s going to hurt the economy, especially tourism.
Wonder if he will also fight vaccine requirements for cruise lines sailing from Florida?
Yeah, that’s a problem. Without vaccines the industry dies, but if your political position is covid was no big deal it’s hard to then support requiring vaccines. Double edged sword.

GimpYancIent

Yeah, not a shock. I hate to say this, but I fear when we hit May/June FL is going to be in the bottom half of states for percent of population vaccinated. When the Governor has consistently downplayed Covid and implied its only an issue for 65+ it’s hard to get people to then want to be vaccinated. Aside from the public health issues and needless deaths I hope that doesn‘t also stall things re-opening fully, especially WDW. As I’ve said from the start of this the economy doesn’t work when a large portion of people don’t participate. If enough people don’t get vaccinated and cases stay higher it’s going to hurt the economy, especially tourism.

Yeah, that’s a problem. Without vaccines the industry dies, but if your political position is covid was no big deal it’s hard to then support requiring vaccines. Double edged sword.
Vaccine Passports are not going to stimulate anti-vaccine people to go get vaccinated. The points of departure and entry where the vaccine passports (if they are ever implemented) could be checked are way too few to be effective when the overall travel picture is looked at. Borders are actually fairly porous. That said, the responsible, reasonable citizens of the world will follow the rules and be considerate of others but it only takes a few irresponsible, insensitive and self serving people to spread the illness.

lazyboy97o

Wonder if he will also fight vaccine requirements for cruise lines sailing from Florida?
I imagine that might be more of a federal issue and the state would get no say.
Have any Covid vaccines been approved by the FDA for school aged children? Until then, no self inflicted lawsuit will take place.
Why does that make a material difference? Why is it okay for organizations to require other vaccines but not COVID-19 vaccines?
The "why" has always been muddled. Without getting into the "they lied" v. "changing science" debate, I remember seeing a newscast early on where we were being told that it's not necessary to wear face masks. Behind the newscasters a large screen was showing scenes from China, Italy, etc. where everyone was wearing masks. I remember thinking at the time that we're not physiologically different, so was the difference in advice based on our scientists knowing more than these other countries about the virus and how it spread? a belief that the virus wouldn't spread here? wanting to avoid mask-hoarding on the same scale as toilet paper and cleaning supplies? We weren't told why. Then a few weeks later our surgeon general was on TV showing people how to make a mask out of a handkerchief and two rubber bands. I was fine with the new message, but disappointed in what appeared to be the earlier, unexplained manipulation.
We were told why at the time masks were being discouraged. The view was that masks prevent spread not protect the wearer. What changed is the realization that people are contagious without/before presenting with symptoms.

Patcheslee

3rd day in a row of new cases in our county, none from LTC facilities at least, but 12 of the 15 are students from the High School. We haven’t even had spring break yet. Glad mine is in middle school at least no new ones there for months now :(

HarperRose

Vaccine Passports are not going to stimulate anti-vaccine people to go get vaccinated. The points of departure and entry where the vaccine passports (if they are ever implemented) could be checked are way too few to be effective when the overall travel picture is looked at. Borders are actually fairly porous. That said, the responsible, reasonable citizens of the world will follow the rules and be considerate of others but it only takes a few irresponsible, insensitive and self serving people to spread the illness.
For cruises, it would be simple to implement a required vaccine to sail. During check-in at the port, if you can't provide proof, you don't get on the ship. Easy peasy.

ABQ

Why does that make a material difference? Why is it okay for organizations to require other vaccines but not COVID-19 vaccines?
Because it will be used as a point of contention for all the anti vaccine folks. Those other vaccines have FDA approval, so they are not in the same class, at this point. Don't look at me, I have taken both doses of the Moderna shot, I'm just putting it out there that these will be points of contention.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Vaccine passports will never work in this country for anything other than possibly international travel including cruises with international ports. That being said, we also need to be careful not to put the message out there that vaccines aren’t necessary for everyone. It’s also a slippery slope for a Governor to come out and so forcefully reject vaccine passports because it could make the vaccines even more politicized. It could lead to people resisting the vaccine because of the political narrative that one side is attempting to force them on people and the other is opposed to that. I can’t understand how these vaccines aren’t bi-partisan and embraced by everyone but that seems to be a direction we may be going down. Really not good.

Chi84

Premium Member
We were told why at the time masks were being discouraged. The view was that masks prevent spread not protect the wearer. What changed is the realization that people are contagious without/before presenting with symptoms.
I guess I'm surprised that our scientists were behind all those other countries in finding that out. Maybe the other countries were just being more cautious, or maybe the supply of masks was not an issue there. There's no question, though, that at the time were were told masks were unnecessary, they were in widespread use in other countries.

GimpYancIent

For cruises, it would be simple to implement a required vaccine to sail. During check-in at the port, if you can't provide proof, you don't get on the ship. Easy peasy.
In the case of cruises it would be wise to require the presentation of a record of all vaccinations in addition to a temperature check prior to boarding. The floating Petri dishes had issues w disease spread well before COVID ever came on scene. Bon Voyage!

ABQ

Vaccine passports will never work in this country for anything other than possibly international travel including cruises with international ports. That being said, we also need to be careful not to put the message out there that vaccines aren’t necessary for everyone. It’s also a slippery slope for a Governor to come out and so forcefully reject vaccine passports because it could make the vaccines even more politicized. It could lead to people resisting the vaccine because of the political narrative that one side is attempting to force them on people and the other is opposed to that. I can’t understand how these vaccines aren’t bi-partisan and embraced by everyone but that seems to be a direction we may be going down. Really not good.
It's a fine line for this scenario between the carrot and the stick, rewarding those who got the vaccine and saying they will get a passport that allows for this and that vs punishing those who don't get the vaccine and telling them they can't go out and play. Not sure myself which would work better. Tough to say that Desantis has been anything but a proponent of the vaccine though, so I'm not sure I buy into anything he says about the passport issue leading to those hesitant on getting a vaccine to outright choose to not to.

Mark52479

I am more concerned honestly with the stupid Florida State Legislature than I am about Ron.

They hold the cards. I had this discussion last week with a well known Florida attorney down here in South Florida. (lets also say he is not a Desantis fan)

If the Florida state legislature passes a law saying "Florida entities can not discriminate and require vaccines" that's it, its over. Private property or not, Disney is doing business under a Florida entity they will not be allowed to have vaccine passports.

Like I said before this is going to get EXTREMELY UGLY and messy.

MaryJaneP

Does anyone else find it amazing that even though more information, recently uncovered, may change perspectives and advice, as it does in every other area of our existence, that some need to cling to outdated and subsequently disfavored advice? Thankfully the CDC, WHO, and WDW try to keep up-to-date even if sometimes they take a slower, less rash, and long-term outlook.

GimpYancIent

Does anyone else find it amazing that even though more information, recently uncovered, may change perspectives and advice, as it does in every other area of our existence, that some need to cling to outdated and subsequently disfavored advice? Thankfully the CDC, WHO, and WDW try to keep up-to-date even if the sometimes if they take a slower, less rash, and long-term outlook.
Very good presentation until you mention the WHO.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone else find it amazing that even though more information, recently uncovered, may change perspectives and advice, as it does in every other area of our existence, that some need to cling to outdated and subsequently disfavored advice? Thankfully the CDC, WHO, and WDW try to keep up-to-date even if the sometimes if they take a slower, less rash, and long-term outlook.

There are people who aren't interested in the facts, they have a certain point of view in their head and will seek out things that support it, and attack things that don't.

lazyboy97o

I guess I'm surprised that our scientists were behind all those other countries in finding that out. Maybe the other countries were just being more cautious, or maybe the supply of masks was not an issue there. There's no question, though, that at the time were were told masks were unnecessary, they were in widespread use in other countries.
Mask wearing in response to respiratory illness was already a thing in other countries. There were places like hospitals and doctors offices that required it in this country, even in the Deep South. Heck, go watch Season 2, Episode 5 of Schitt’s Creek, “Bob’s Bagels” and you’ll see one of the main characters wearing a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom