Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

Yesterday was a bad day. NJ increased back to 42 cases per 100,000, NY is at 36 and RI at 35. Michigan and Delaware are at 25. Florida stayed at 21 but a tiny fraction lower than yesterday.

Hopefully today will be better. The countries average of 55,001 a day is average of 16.6 a day. Not a horrible number but not where we want to go.

Heppenheimer

I don't think I've ever even heard any of those quotes attributed to Walt. Walt was many things, but I don't think he was known particularly for coining witticisms. If anything, he was more a straight-talker.

And while we're at it, the company marquee is an extremely stylized departure from his actual signature, which looked more like this:

Walt_Disney's_Wonderful_World_of_Color.jpg

And now, we return you to your regularly scheduled COVID-19 discussion. The spread of these variants combined with COVID fatigue is starting to worry me.

Kevin_W

A year ago, I thought things would be back to normal by July 2020. I was looking at the Univ of Washington model, which showed essentially no cases or hospitalizations by then. Which probably makes that model the worst model ever made by anyone 🤦‍♂️

But hope springs eternal, so I find myself dreaming about a mask-free July 2021! :)

Yeah, I had pretty high hopes that our Memorial Day 2020 trip was going to happen as planned based on that same model.

JoeCamel

A year ago, I thought things would be back to normal by July 2020. I was looking at the Univ of Washington model, which showed essentially no cases or hospitalizations by then. Which probably makes that model the worst model ever made by anyone 🤦‍♂️

But hope springs eternal, so I find myself dreaming about a mask-free July 2021! :)
That model made some assumptions, chief was that we would take measures to limit the spread. We half assed that

mmascari

If we dream of 95% of the population receiving the vaccine, can we do it? What will be needed to safely achieve a mask-free WDW?
Let's hope it's a number way lower than 95%. Otherwise, it's going to be a rough ride.

In the words of someone in the field: (Though he works more with birds)
Matt Koci, a virologist and immunologist:

One key point he does not really address is that the selection pressure is greater as there are more vaccinated, while when the amount of virus is great there is more chances of mutations. A mutation whose only advantage is that it can infect the vaccinated will not have a evolutionary advantage if it isn't likely to infect someone who is vaccinated. So the risk when there is few vaccinated is lower because a mutation is less likely to run into the vaccinated vs unvaccinated, and it is low when there are lots of vaccinated but little virus around. The transition from the first state to the second has the higher risk of a mutated virus finding a vaccinated host for selection bias to work. So shorter that transition time is the better.
Thank you. I'm not just some crazy person making stuff up, but it's got a real basis. Always good to know oneself isn't losing it, at least not about this.

This just highlights how poor the information is that comes out with the guidelines. Plus how extra poor the reporting of that information is. In the beginning, it was kind of obvious, prevent all kinds of interactions to stop infected people from passing the virus on, keep yourself safe and don't give it to someone else. But, now, the guidance has two conflicting messages at the individual level. First, get the vaccine it'll protect you and you probably cannot give it to someone else. But, also, still prevent all kinds of interactions with anyone you cannot be sure isn't infected, well maybe just 1 person at a time.

That leaves us speculating on all kinds of stuff. Like, if the first is good, why does someone need to do the second? And, if someone still needs to do the second, what's the point of getting the first at the individual level. What's the reason for the single household exception? Is that exception creating risk to goal the guideline is supporting? Presumably, the exception creates very little extra risk for a very large value reward and that's why it's worth having, but we have no idea. If we knew the reasons, it would be possible to determine the added risk to expanding it and how far it could be expanded or why not, guidance about those impacts. (Obviously at public health level, the point of getting the vaccine is to end the pandemic.) If they published the reasons behind the guidance, people would be able to understand why the guidance matters. Something like "this guidance is to achieve X goal". Then, we could debate if those goals had value or not.

At a high level, some of this is more marketing related that real informative too. Things like the 100 days of masking, or 100 million shots in 100 days. I don't think those values were chosen for actual goals. As many many pages here have pointed out, 100 days may not end all mask, and 100 million shots was "to aggressive on the first day, but really a way to small goal by day 3". I think these were more like slogans and jingles. 100 in 100 is good marketing. It's easy to repeat and sounds like a sales pitch. We may debate their value as real metrics, but I don't think they were ever intended to be the real metric, just a marketing slogan.

We're missing key information surrounding the guidelines. Then we all color our views based on both our guessing of the unstated goals, our thoughts on if those goals aren't reached, and our desires for what we want. With different unstated goals, we end up talking past each other.

Its like watching a drop to close ride warrior debate with a parent of 3 kids under 5 the best strategy for a magic kingdom day. The first doesn't understand why anyone would leave the park at noon for 4 hours, a swim, and a nap. While the second doesn't understand how anyone could spend 12, 16, or more hours in a row inside the park. :cool:

HarperRose

Yesterday was a bad day. NJ increased back to 42 cases per 100,000, NY is at 36 and RI at 35. Michigan and Delaware are at 25. Florida stayed at 21 but a tiny fraction lower than yesterday.

Hopefully today will be better. The countries average of 55,001 a day is average of 16.6 a day. Not a horrible number but not where we want to go.
Expect it to increase after yesterday/last night.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
If we dream of 95% of the population receiving the vaccine, can we do it? What will be needed to safely achieve a mask-free WDW?

I would think over 50% for adults and it have been available for anyone (except younger kids as they won’t probably start vax until fall) for a few months or so, then it would be up to each individual and family to live life how they wish. There are going to be many not get it but the rest shouldn’t suffer because of their choices or lack there of

but I wonder...how will kids not being vaccinated play into when CDC and WDW may remove mask mandates? Could we see WDW mask free by October?

Kevin_W

Its like watching a drop to close ride warrior debate with a parent of 3 kids under 5 the best strategy for a magic kingdom day. The first doesn't understand why anyone would leave the park at noon for 4 hours, a swim, and a nap. While the second doesn't understand how anyone could spend 12, 16, or more hours in a row inside the park. :cool:
Well, Disney fixed that last argument by having parks open for only 10 hours. :D

I agree on the rest of the thoughts and I think the changing messaging and unclear reasoning is why, for the large part, people are mostly ignoring the CDC on a personal level and doing what they feel is best. And obviously, those feelings lead to a very wide gamut of behaviours.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well some interesting news coming out of Press conference right now with the Governor of Florida. @GoofGoof you talk about this a lot.

Governor just said "Vaccine Passports at a state level will NOT happen in Florida, and if Private entities try to do it the state will try to fight it"

hmmmm this is going to get ugly.............
Ron's going to be suing himself...

Polkadotdress

I would think over 50% for adults and it have been available for anyone (except younger kids as they won’t probably start vax until fall) for a few months or so, then it would be up to each individual and family to live life how they wish. There are going to be many not get it but the rest shouldn’t suffer because of their choices or lack there of.
But that's just the thing...the rest WILL suffer because of a lack of action by others. Allowing people to be vaccine-free ensures that the virus will mutate with a risk of becoming a vaccine-resistant virus, putting us back at square one.

Lilofan

Well some interesting news coming out of Press conference right now with the Governor of Florida. @GoofGoof you talk about this a lot.

Governor just said "Vaccine Passports at a state level will NOT happen in Florida, and if Private entities try to do it the state will try to fight it"

hmmmm this is going to get ugly.............
Desantis of FL cannot be so foolish to not recognize that Tourism is the #1 industry in FL. Vaccine passports with visitors coming from all over the world to visit the Sunshine State is necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom