Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Sadly...it’s really not. Someone posted that polling up thread last week.

Ethnic/cultural differences do play a big factor in vaccine acceptance/resistance. But amongst the largest demographic...it lines up with politics.
Good luck with this one ;)
(Edit: it was quite a few giving articles and stats, and still that was not enough to convince)

Have a Magical day.
You too!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Quote from the attached article from Dr Fauci:

While appearing on CNN's State of the Union, Fauci was asked to clarify the goal set by President Joe Biden that Americans would be able to safely host backyard get-togethers for the summer's biggest holiday. He expressed confidence that current vaccination trends made such gatherings a more likely scenario, telling Tapper: "If by the time we get to the Fourth of July, with the rollout of the vaccine, we get the level of infection so low—I'm not going to be able to tell you exactly what the specific guidelines of the (CDC) are, but I can tell you for sure (guidelines) will be much more liberal than they are right now about what you can do."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sadly...it’s really not. Someone posted that polling up thread last week.

Ethnic/cultural differences do play a big factor in vaccine acceptance/resistance. But amongst the largest demographic...it lines up with politics.
  • Partisan differences, which have long characterized views about the outbreak, are increasingly seen in vaccine intent. Democrats are now 27 percentage points more likely than Republicans to say they plan to get, or have already received, a coronavirus vaccine (83% to 56%). This gap is wider than those seen at multiple points in 2020.

Polling has a margin of error and there is still time for people to change their minds, but a 27% difference is not just bad polling or statistical noise. These results are consistent with almost every poll run including FoxNews and several other conservative leaning shops. Recently Fauci has implored President Trump to come out publicly and strongly advocate for his supporters to get the vaccine. Maybe these polls are wrong and maybe there’s no political bias in vaccine acceptance, but if that’s the case he has wasted a few minutes of time and a press release. If however the polling is accurate it very well could make the difference between reaching herd immunity and a full return to normal this summer and being stuck in Covid limbo with not enough people vaccinated.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
  • Partisan differences, which have long characterized views about the outbreak, are increasingly seen in vaccine intent. Democrats are now 27 percentage points more likely than Republicans to say they plan to get, or have already received, a coronavirus vaccine (83% to 56%). This gap is wider than those seen at multiple points in 2020.

Polling has a margin of error and there is still time for people to change their minds, but a 27% difference is not just bad polling or statistical noise. These results are consistent with almost every poll run including FoxNews and several other conservative leaning shops. Recently Fauci has implored President Trump to come out publicly and strongly advocate for his supporters to get the vaccine. Maybe these polls are wrong and maybe there’s no political bias in vaccine acceptance, but if that’s the case he has wasted a few minutes of time and a press release. If however the polling is accurate it very well could make the difference between reaching herd immunity and a full return to normal this summer and being stuck in Covid limbo with not enough people vaccinated.

Is the another surge is really gonna happen or not by next month or May?

Jedijax719

Personally, I believe in having those who have been fully vaccinated (emphasis vaccinated, not confirmed to be immune) carry ID cards to prove it.

Problem is that with 95% effectiveness for Moderna and Pfizer and 76% for J&J, there will still be those who have gone through the regimen who may not be immunized. However, if those who WERE vaccinated are around mostly people who were also vaccinated, then their chances of being immunized becomes almost 100% (maybe 99.9%). That's the key.

No way places like Disney World can only accept vaccinated people. But maybe we will get to a point where ONLY the unvaccinated are required to wear masks?

ABQ

The goal was always to stop the spread...which was not limited to “high risk and age”. Anyone can carry, spread it, and kill grandma.

Hence contact based plans.

This is just so redundant. If you want to repeat politically tinged Dogma...at least quote stuff that had basic understanding...not the stuff specifically designed to sell Wilfred Brimley diabetes supply ads.
Yes, the goal was to stop the spread....but that's not the end of it, the reason the goal was to stop the spread was to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system. The most likely to end up hospitalized are the elderly and those with underlaying conditions. The high risk folks. So though anyone can spread it, the idiot frat boys in Duke are less likely to burden the healthcare system than the same idiot's grandmother.

ABQ

Yeah, maybe Trump should blast it out on Twitter that everyone should get vaccinated. That would be a great way to spread the word. ;) :banghead: Oddly, anecdotal data polling of friends and family, 100% of republican men in my circle want or have taken the vaccine, but only 25% of republican women want to. Not sure why the hesitancy among the women.

Duke B-Ball is out of the NCAA tournament after a player tested positive. Their season is over.
They were out because of their record. Like Virginia, they had positive case during ACC tourney. They would have gone if selected. Virginia was selected and is going to the NCAA tourney.

James J

In the Parks
No
No way places like Disney World can only accept vaccinated people. But maybe we will get to a point where ONLY the unvaccinated are required to wear masks?
How would that get policed though? In the case of WDW, you're not going to get CM's asking maskless people for proof of vaccination once they're inside a park.

tpac24

Yeah, maybe Trump should blast it out on Twitter that everyone should get vaccinated. That would be a great way to spread the word. ;) :banghead: Oddly, anecdotal data polling of friends and family, 100% of republican men in my circle want or have taken the vaccine, but only 25% of republican women want to. Not sure why the hesitancy among the women.
I don't know maybe the infertility speculations have them on edge. That isn't a concern for me because well that ship has sailed but it a cause of some concern for my daughter. I think it is to soon for them to tell either way .

Reactions: ABQ

correcaminos

Instead of claiming he had anything to do with all the vaccines, he could promote. It has shown to work. Hesitancy often has to do with misinformation and mistrust. So far I have had various ranges of people hesitant. We need to reach each on its own for their own reasons. They will vary, but finding out underlying worries will truly help.

correcaminos

I don't know maybe the infertility speculations have them on edge. That isn't a concern for me because well that ship has sailed but it a cause of some concern for my daughter. I think it is to soon for them to tell either way .
That's also been refuted. But possibly started as a conspiracy idea and ran. So much wrong info out there, it's hard to combat it all. (Sorry for weird punctuation - edited)

Last edited:

correcaminos

Personally, I believe in having those who have been fully vaccinated (emphasis vaccinated, not confirmed to be immune) carry ID cards to prove it.

Problem is that with 95% effectiveness for Moderna and Pfizer and 76% for J&J, there will still be those who have gone through the regimen who may not be immunized. However, if those who WERE vaccinated are around mostly people who were also vaccinated, then their chances of being immunized becomes almost 100% (maybe 99.9%). That's the key.

Issue with this is policing would be hard. We'd need quick ways to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know it’s purely anecdotal but I only know 1 person in my circle of friends and family who is a Republican and has no interest in the vaccine and she is a teacher so already eligible. She’s not a traditional MAGA Trump supporter or highly political so I doubt he would change her mind if he said to get it. I do think there’s a good chance that it’s more geographic and/or urban vs rural than just Rep vs Dem. In my area which is suburban to a large city there doesn’t appear to be a big disparity by political party. I’m not sure if it’s maybe income level, urban living or other factors at play.

In polling women are less likely than men to want the vaccine, but it’s not a significant number. I’m not sure anyone knows why.

LaughingGravy

Here we are. Over a year later since the lockdown.
Every time there is a plateau, or some other good news, like higher vaccine availability is coming(not here yet, but coming next month or weeks away), and even opening up capacity ( which I don't agree with until the numbers are lower, but businesses are hurting and I get that, so open up slowly, but for heavens sake keep the mask and distancing mandates), a lot of people take that as a sign to:
  • Not worry about it, ignore mask and or/distancing rules still in place ( increased capacity does not negate distancing and mask rules/common sense when we now know how this is spread).
  • Further justify not even an intent to get an available vaccine because others will get the vaccine, planning on being part of the 20%-30% who never get vaccinated
  • Have "moral objections" to the source of the vaccine. Yes, I put that in quotes intended for the hypocrites who selectively pull that out while ignoring many other moral or religious issues that don't suit them either in the past or at the moment.
  • Wear a mask loosely, not properly fitting to do the job and only a single layer.
  • Not sanitizing or washing hands when in contact with things where you should be. Many did it in the beginning, but people get complacent.

It's been over a year.
For those who fit any or more of the above points, for those still objecting on the mask front, including those who rip off the mask the second they walk outside of a requiring store ( or not even all the way out of the store, or exposing their nose whenever possible, not even waiting until they get back in their car), this will continue and you are part of the problem. The rest of us are not.

Here in NJ, one of the hardest hit states at the beginning, we had beautiful weather this past weekend, and people everywhere were gathering at local little league games, on the streets, in parking lots, parks, walking, etc. with no distancing or masks.

In less than two weeks, our covid numbers and deaths will go up yet again. I'm hoping for a nice July 4th, but it's not going to happen unless we get everybody to cooperate.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

I kind of wish he would just stay silent on the matter (well, I wish he would stay silent on everything and just fade away). Simply because he doesn't seem capable of saying anything that isn't a self-serving distortion. Ideally, he would put out a simple endorsement and encourage everyone to receive the vaccination as soon as they are eligible. But I think we all know he just isn't wired for something magnanimous or altruistic like that.

Maybe FOMO will provide the necessary push, kind of like the reason why people were lining up for flu shots a few years ago when it was reported that there was a shortage.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I don’t know how Disney could ever actually enforce a masks only for the unvaccinated rule, but that doesn’t mean they won’t do that. What I think is highly likely is that many employers will make that their rule, including Disney for workers. Employees can come back to work at an office or at a bar or at a factory or at WDW and no longer need to wear a mask if they get vaccinated. If you aren’t vaccinated you still need to wear a mask. An employer can absolutely legally ask you for proof of vaccination. Many people falsely think that HIPPA laws make it illegal for an employer to ask that, but that’s not true. HIPPA only prevents doctors and pharmacies from sharing your medical records without your permission. I think it would be a powerful tool to get people who are hesitant to get the vaccine to get one. If you have to wear a mask for a while longer without it most people would just get the vaccine.

For Disney I would expect them to require CMs to get the vaccine and if they don’t want to then they will either be shifted to non-customer facing roles or asked to continue wearing a mask. For guests it’s possible at some point that they make their rule that you need to wear a mask unless you are vaccinated. They could require you to answer a yes/no question on vaccination when buying a park ticket or booking a hotel room and then just layout the rule. People would be on the honor system to comply. It would be a legal CYA. If someone started an outbreak Disney could point to the rule and be at least partially covered. I don’t see Disney ever actively trying to enforce a mask rule only on unvaccinated people.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I kind of wish he would just stay silent on the matter (well, I wish he would stay silent on everything and just fade away). Simply because he doesn't seem capable of saying anything that isn't a self-serving distortion. Ideally, he would put out a simple endorsement and encourage everyone to receive the vaccination as soon as they are eligible. But I think we all know he just isn't wired for something magnanimous or altruistic like that.

Maybe FOMO will provide the necessary push, kind of like the reason why people were lining up for flu shots a few years ago when it was reported that there was a shortage.
If there are people who really care what he says and will act based on it I am absolutely fine with him distorting the facts, claiming credit for himself or making off color remarks about the Kung flu or China virus. If that gets people in to get vaccinated that’s all I care about. Call it the Trump vaccine, build a statue to him, give him full credit for ending the pandemic. Whatever it takes.

Looks like Europe is having a difficult time with providing vaccines. England seems to be doing the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom