Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

I'm sure they do. But look at how people are panicking RIGHT NOW. We're just at the beginning stages of the curve right now. If your average Joe Schmoe had access to those numbers, it would be far, far worse.

In all seriousness, what do you think causes more panic-
Information?
or
A statement of “100,000 people are infected”, without any information to back that up?

21stamps

Just out of curiosity, say every test was reported to the government (we know this isn't the case from today's Trump speech) and they published the numbers. What is it that you so passionately feel will change by that?

To let the American people actually see Information that we should be seeing.
There are zero cases in my county, there are zero cases in the county just south of me, there is zero cases in the county where I work. How many people have been tested here, in those 3 counties? That should not be hidden information.

RobWDW1971

The data that shows that this is all an overreaction and all of the experts are wrong.
Here are the latest numbers consolidated from the WHO/CDC data. Currently on the planet Earth there are ~96K active cases, of which ~90% are mild meaning no hospitalization is required. Of the closed cases, ~90% fully recovered, leaving only ~7K deaths from this virus on the entire planet.

Those are the facts, I look at that and say this is an overreaction based on similar levels of fatalities happening around the world on a daily basis. You may look at that and say OMG, 7K people have died from a virus on a planet of nearly 8 billion people. But those are the numbers.

(Note all numbers are directional as accuracy from each country varies, but it is the only data anybody including the WHO has at this point)

Screen Shot 2020-03-16 at 7.14.29 PM.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To let the American people actually see Information that we should be seeing.
There are zero cases in my county, there are zero cases in the county just south of me, there is zero cases in the county where I work. How many people have been tested here, in those 3 counties? That should not be hidden information.
If you really want to know that reach out to the county and ask. Reach out to a local reporter and ask. Nobody here has access to that type of info.

rowrbazzle

Yea, my 2yr old daughter is allergic to dairy. She drinks Silk soy milk but not a store around us has any, even good ole amazon. We've been trying for days it's crazy. My wifes getting worried that if things go into further lockdown we won't have enough. This whole hording nonsense is ridiculous.

We did flax milk and rice milk at different times for our son. The rice milk wasn't in the refrigerator section so it might be overlooked by a lot of folks. We've also had almond milk that doesn't have to be refrigerated before you open it. If all else fails, water and vitamins?

I hope you get what you need.

Lora Baines Bradley

This could really damage Disney’s reputation. It pains me to say it, but they should have closed without any fanfare. The party and fireworks sent the wrong message.

I honestly agree. did they learn nothing from disneyland’s closing??? it was a stupid idea and i say that as a CP who had friends go to MK last night. i understand why CPs went ngl, they’re upset and not really thinking but honestly their negligence is going to hurt others.

21stamps

West Virginia has 0 positive. They tested 41 people. That’s the only state right now with 0 cases.

You seem to want someone to provide you some facts that will support your theory. Just because you (someone on a Disney forum) don’t have that information doesn’t mean it exists and they are hiding it from you for some reason. You dismiss what the government is saying and what experts say and what independent doctors say because maybe they aren’t experts on this virus but you somehow assume you are. I know nothing myself. I had high school biology that’s the extent of my medical knowledge. I rely on people who specialize in these things. When every doctor, epidemiologist and expert is basically saying the same thing I have a hard time believing they are either all wrong or colluding together. I will pose to you the same question as the other guy, why are there no reputable sources saying this is all an overreaction? Why aren’t doctors who work in the hospitals disputing the claims of the shortage of ICU beds or ventilators. If that was exaggerated someone would be saying it. I’m perfectly willing to listen to an alternate opinion. Nobody outside of a handful of people here seem to think that way.

I’ll answer with this,
We have someone posting on social media that toilet paper is running out and then you have an entire country go out and buy up all the toilet paper.

That was a grossly negligent and irresponsible statement to make. Until 100,000 people in Ohio are confirmed positive, that number is complete bull.

Exactly. So don’t you see why we would want some information to know where such a number is coming from you?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here are the latest numbers consolidated from the WHO/CDC data. Currently on the planet Earth there are ~96K active cases, of which ~90% are mild meaning no hospitalization is required. Of the closed cases, ~90% fully recovered, leaving only ~7K deaths from this virus on the entire planet.

Those are the facts, I look at that and say this is an overreaction based on similar levels of fatalities happening around the world on a daily basis. You may look at that and say OMG, 7K people have died from a virus on a planet of nearly 8 billion people. But those are the numbers.

(Note all numbers are directional as accuracy from each country varies, but it is the only data anybody including the WHO has at this point)

View attachment 456754
This thing isn’t over by a long shot. Most of the fear is based on projecting spread. Maybe the projections are way under and maybe they are way over. In January if you told most people the projection for the virus would be that it would be in 100+ countries and have over 180K confirmed cases the same people that don’t believe any of the projections today would say they are overblown.

RobWDW1971

There should be a simple list such as this-

Palm Beach County
405 tested
18 positive
3 asymptotic
8 mild
5 severe
2 critical
And current active cases and total recovered. The media keeps reporting the cumulative number, which by definition, will go up every single day. I'm more interested in who currently has it, is it mild or severe, and for those resolved, did they fully recover. That gives you the sense of what we're dealing with here.

21stamps

And current active cases and total recovered. The media keeps reporting the cumulative number, which by definition, will go up every single day. I'm more interested in who currently has it, is it mild or severe, and for those resolved, did they fully recover. That gives you the sense of what we're dealing with here.

Absolutely agree.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’ll answer with this,
We have someone posting on social media that toilet paper is running out and then you have an entire country go out and buy up all the toilet paper.
I don’t see how that’s relevant. These are medical doctors and experts on infectious disease making projections not some idiot on Facebook.

I do agree with you on one thing...I think your governor may be a moron ;). That 100,000 number he quoted was taken way out of context. The original statement which came from an actual medical expert was something along the lines of if we do nothing it could end up with 100,000 people in the state infected. The media took that and ran with it. I don’t trust any of the politicians either, but just because that number is out of context doesn’t mean every other person giving their medically backed opinion on this is wrong too.

EvilChameleon

I'm sure they do. But look at how people are panicking RIGHT NOW. We're just at the beginning stages of the curve right now. If your average Joe Schmoe had access to those numbers, it would be far, far worse.

I hope by now the average Joe realizes the number will skyrocket soon. So 5 digit figures shouldn't panic anybody. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if we close in on a quarter of a million cases when all is said and done here in the States.

ImperfectPixie

I’ll answer with this,

Exactly. So don’t you see why we would want some information to know where such a number is coming from you?
She was extrapolating. As an official, she should know better. Really...please check out this map by Google. It's got the whole world and if you zoom in on a particular state, you can see more information by county. I haven't had a chance to really click around it a ton, but there is a lot of data there.

The map linked above doesn't include severity, but it does include active cases, cases recovered, active quarantines, etc (although I'm not sure how accurate any of the numbers are).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I had pneumonia and still couldn’t get tested. More are coming but I think we are still a few days away from that everywhere, or at least most places
Did they do a chest x-ray that showed the ground glass signature?

DCBaker

Premium Member

Clinical data for the US cases has yet to even be released - what needs to be released is - average age, how many are serious, how many critical and what pre-conditions those patients had (thank you for routinely calling for this Dr Jen Ashton.).

ImperfectPixie

I hope by now the average Joe realizes the number will skyrocket soon. So 5 digit figures shouldn't panic anybody. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if we close in on a quarter of a million cases when all is said and done here in the States.
People are losing their minds and shopping as if they'll be locked in their houses for six months.

RobWDW1971

This thing isn’t over by a long shot. Most of the fear is based on projecting spread. Maybe the projections are way under and maybe they are way over. In January if you told most people the projection for the virus would be that it would be in 100+ countries and have over 180K confirmed cases the same people that don’t believe any of the projections today would say they are overblown.

Nobody is saying it is over, I am giving you the numbers as of right now.

7K dead on earth - total. The cumulative total of people that have ever had it is interesting, but the important numbers are who fully recovered and what is the fatality rate. Let's use far extremes to make a point - if 50 million people had it and nobody died, they just had a bad fever and cough, would you think it's a crisis?

The Swine Flu in the US had 22 million infected - let me pause to say that again - it had 22 million people infected and 4,000 deaths in the US. It's about who is impacted, the fatality rate, and severity.

To me, it's about setting expectations upfront. If the government came out and said "We have a new flu, it's more contagious than influenza, a few million people will get infected, and about 2% are going to die, so let's protect those that are most vulnerable, our elderly and those with these pre-existing conditions", we would have gone about our lives. But for some bizarre reason, in almost all countries there was this concept that this virus would never come to their country and they were going to "contain it". It's just the wrong goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom