Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

I think I can say with some confidence that we will reach herd immunity before the 50th. Disney probably is itching to loosen restrictions before then.

Not sure how confident I’d be in that. But I do think it’s very possible.

And I’m also totally positive that restrictions will be loosened before them. We already know a socially distanced FOTLK is coming back over the summer.

But it’s telling that the 50th Anniversary promotional videos still show people on masks. WDW expects masks will still be in place, at least at the start of the 50th.

mmascari

You can’t fool customs because they get scanned. Which WDW could do just as easily.
Not the same thing. People give up all kinds of privacy and rights to travel internationally. Some because of the destination and some because of the “border zone”. Going to WDW isn’t same, at least for domestic guests.

But that’s besides the point. You may as well as be saying, “bars don’t check IDs... police don’t check drivers licenses... since they might get faked.”

I recall a year ago, people telling me WDW wouldn’t do temp checks since they aren’t 100% reliable.

That’s not what I said at all, but a pointless absolute comparison. The value of the special treatment matters. Along with the risk of it being misused. Low value, low risk, a simple card works. Nobody is concerned about a fake library card. High value, low risk, fakes start to show up. People want the value, and since it’s low risk, the checking probably isn’t able to spot them. It’s not worth the effort with low risk. Low value, high risk stuff will be harder to fake, but nobody is probably trying. A WDW get special access because you’re vaccinated without needing to take precautions, is high value and high risk. It’s going to need something complex. So, now we can do a TSA Precheck style authentication that the vaccine card isn’t a fake, otherwise we're just granting authenticated “proof” to fake people. And then the back end to track it all. International travelers are likely to go to the trouble and customs is likely to have the infrastructure. Even a cruise ship might, especially if they already work with customs and can get them to do the hard parts. But, how many WDW guests don't even have a passport.

A temp check isn’t the same. It doesn’t grant anything extra. It only finds obviously sick people to exclude. Missing people is no big deal, they’re already treating everyone with mitigation anyway.

havoc315

Not the same thing. People give up all kinds of privacy and rights to travel internationally. Some because of the destination and some because of the “border zone”. Going to WDW isn’t same, at least for domestic guests.

That’s not what I said at all, but a pointless absolute comparison. The value of the special treatment matters. Along with the risk of it being misused. Low value, low risk, a simple card works. Nobody is concerned about a fake library card. High value, low risk, fakes start to show up. People want the value, and since it’s low risk, the checking probably isn’t able to spot them. It’s not worth the effort with low risk. Low value, high risk stuff will be harder to fake, but nobody is probably trying. A WDW get special access because you’re vaccinated without needing to take precautions, is high value and high risk. It’s going to need something complex. So, now we can do a TSA Precheck style authentication that the vaccine card isn’t a fake, otherwise we're just granting authenticated “proof” to fake people. And then the back end to track it all. International travelers are likely to go to the trouble and customs is likely to have the infrastructure. Even a cruise ship might, especially if they already work with customs and can get them to do the hard parts. But, how many WDW guests don't even have a passport.

A temp check isn’t the same. It doesn’t grant anything extra. It only finds obviously sick people to exclude. Missing people is no big deal, they’re already treating everyone with mitigation anyway.

Israel is requiring a vaccine passport to go into a gym.

Each country is different. But somehow, I think is Israel can require vaccine passports to go to the gym, it’s certainly possible to see vaccine passports required to enter concerts, movie theaters, and theme parks.
And no, I don’t think there will be thousands of people forging vaccine passports, hacking Federal databases, risking jail sentences, in order to get into WDW.

Flugell

As an interested party from over the pond I am interested in reading all your ideas but have many questions that haven’t been addressed, as far as I can tell!
1. The USA has not yet approved the Astra Zeneca virus- so would proof of that vaccination count?
2. The same question applies to the Russian and Chinese vaccines.
3. Walt Disney WORLD is a global destination so once it opens again, how will WDW and Florida in general ensure that people have followed all regulations if not mandated?
4. I imagine that it would be impractical for WDW to ban visitors from certain overseas countries whilst allowing others in. Travel bans would help but by rerouting flights it would make it harder to establish absolutely the country of origin.
5. Will these factors not mean that social distancing and masks are likely to remain in place till the WORLD pandemic is more under control?

I’m not advocating that this should be the case but interested in opinions as the discussion so far seems limited to the residents of the USA.

havoc315

As an interested party from over the pond I am interested in reading all your ideas but have many questions that haven’t been addressed, as far as I can tell!
1. The USA has not yet approved the Astra Zeneca virus- so would proof of that vaccination count?
2. The same question applies to the Russian and Chinese vaccines.
3. Walt Disney WORLD is a global destination so once it opens again, how will WDW and Florida in general ensure that people have followed all regulations if not mandated?
4. I imagine that it would be impractical for WDW to ban visitors from certain overseas countries whilst allowing others in. Travel bans would help but by rerouting flights it would make it harder to establish absolutely the country of origin.
5. Will these factors not mean that social distancing and masks are likely to remain in place till the WORLD pandemic is more under control?

I’m not advocating that this should be the case but interested in opinions as the discussion so far seems limited to the residents of the USA.

International visitors won’t be an issue for WDW to address directly. As the US will likely require vaccination for global entry.
So which vaccines to accept will be a decision for the US government, not for WDW.

DisneyDebRob

Nobody doesn't include the argument being made by the poster I replied to.

If the vaccine is available to anybody who wants it and proves out to be as effective (especially in preventing serious illness or death) as it looks and 30% of people choose not to be vaccinated, I don't really care how much community spread there is. I'm not going to do anything to try and protect people who choose not to be vaccinated. We don't "mitigate" against the flu and there is rampant community spread of it every year. It just causes a lower percentage of the infected to require hospitalization or die than COVID-19. If the vaccine makes the vaccinated get similar levels of illness from COVID-19 as they would from the flu why would "mitigation" be required?
The flu is not rampant this year. 98% less. Thank you masks.

havoc315

Masking I’m fine with.

but shutting down large events, limiting capacity, and asking people to stay home (social distancing protocols); for a few months every year? Yeah, that’s not gonna happen

Actually agree here.

More common masking may be a long term change coming out of Covid.
But normal flu seasons aren’t going to turn into social distancing.

havoc315

Missed that. What was the number of that post?
I posted an article saying we will be in masks for several more months.
The response to my article in 54437 disagreed with the article and said we’d be getting rid of restrictions 3/21..

Darkprime

Actually agree here.

More common masking may be a long term change coming out of Covid.
But normal flu seasons aren’t going to turn into social distancing.

That's what I'm thinking to. More common masking In every day life, We saw similar changes in Asia after Sars. You don't hear them complaining about wearing a mask in daily life. Many of them do it because they want to. More options to work from home if your sick. Having the option to work from home during the winter months would be nice to. We shouldn't social distance anymore than we need to beyond this pandemic. Its not healthy. That's no way of living. The human race wasn't designed as a species to stay inside months on end. Its not natural. There's going to be an entire generation who grew up during COVID and all they know is social distancing and working from home an entire generation that has absolutely no social skills etc. Once restrictions are lifted they are going to struggle with basic human interaction due to lack of development. Not good.

Stitch826

Masking I’m fine with.

but shutting down large events, limiting capacity, and asking people to stay home (social distancing protocols); for a few months every year? Yeah, that’s not gonna happen
I think a small percentage of people will continue wearing masks, especially during winter flu seasons. However, the vast majority of people will throw them away when restrictions are lifted and/or they receive the vaccines.

havoc315

That’s not what @DisneyCane said in that post. Maybe less talking and more careful reading . . .
read the post and read the context of what he was responding to.

Me: expert says we need masks for a few more months.
Him: No, that’s wrong, things will start changing 3/21

Now, as I’ve said all along — things are already changing. They will continue to change. But masks and some level of social distancing will be in place in mass gatherings for some time.. likely at least until the fall.
So let’s clear up any confusion:
Do you agree or disagree that WDW will have masking requirements and a level of social distancing until we basically reach herd immunity, hopefully by late summer or fall?
Or do you think masking and social distancing will/should be gone before the late summer?

Chi84

Premium Member
read the post and read the context of what he was responding to.

Me: expert says we need masks for a few more months.
Him: No, that’s wrong, things will start changing 3/21

Now, as I’ve said all along — things are already changing. They will continue to change. But masks and some level of social distancing will be in place in mass gatherings for some time.. likely at least until the fall.
So let’s clear up any confusion:
Do you agree or disagree that WDW will have masking requirements and a level of social distancing until we basically reach herd immunity, hopefully by late summer or fall?
Or do you think masking and social distancing will/should be gone before the late summer?
I agree with the advice given to @helenabear in post #54,436. Lord knows it took me long enough

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom