Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

Nobody saying mitigation efforts will continue longer is making this argument.

Every post about continued mitigation is specifically about this point.

There is no direct relationship between the vaccine on stopping mitigations. Either when enough is available or when an individual gets vaccinated.

The relationship is when community spread is reduced enough, then mitigation efforts can be reduced and stopped.

Enough vaccine distribution should cause community spread to drop, which will then allow mitigation to stop.
Nobody doesn't include the argument being made by the poster I replied to.

If the vaccine is available to anybody who wants it and proves out to be as effective (especially in preventing serious illness or death) as it looks and 30% of people choose not to be vaccinated, I don't really care how much community spread there is. I'm not going to do anything to try and protect people who choose not to be vaccinated. We don't "mitigate" against the flu and there is rampant community spread of it every year. It just causes a lower percentage of the infected to require hospitalization or die than COVID-19. If the vaccine makes the vaccinated get similar levels of illness from COVID-19 as they would from the flu why would "mitigation" be required?

DC0703

“People” haven’t been doing that in the USA this entire time.
This describes most of my extended family. They had big BBQs in the summer and big indoor parties in the winter. When we decline to attend, they imply we're paranoid. To quote my brother in law "Most people are living their lives like normal. I'm sure there a few people out there avoiding parties like you guys, but most people think COVID's not that big of a deal."

Based on my experiences, it seems to align with political bubbles sadly, which is why vaccine adherence will be a challenge.

Patcheslee

You realize some areas are not this restricted now, right?
I wish things weren't so restricted right now for us. DD12s first time doing a school sport, swim. I haven't met the coach, or had any communication except this is the practice schedule, nothing about uniforms, etc. Still no spectators at meets either, but basketball, football, wrestling were all allowed at least 1 parent. Kinda bummed I'm missing it and frustrated the popular sports were allowed a different standard. Hoping the county metric going down changes that.

Chi84

Premium Member
The Federal level is critical — WDW has already shown they follow the CDC guidelines, not the state restrictions.
What do you believe can be done at the Federal level, apart from public transportation and federal property? Or do you just mean the CDC should set out guidelines and hope the states will adopt them?

havoc315

Nobody doesn't include the argument being made by the poster I replied to.

If the vaccine is available to anybody who wants it and proves out to be as effective (especially in preventing serious illness or death) as it looks and 30% of people choose not to be vaccinated, I don't really care how much community spread there is. I'm not going to do anything to try and protect people who choose not to be vaccinated. We don't "mitigate" against the flu and there is rampant community spread of it every year. It just causes a lower percentage of the infected to require hospitalization or die than COVID-19. If the vaccine makes the vaccinated get similar levels of illness from COVID-19 as they would from the flu why would "mitigation" be required?

That misses the point. If there is still large community spread, then even vaccinated individuals are in danger. reduced danger, but still dangerous.

If a rollercoaster went from injuring 50% of riders down to 5% of riders, you still wouldn’t ride it. You’d wait for the injury rate to drop to 00.0001%.

Sufficient levels of vaccination (we don’t yet know if that’s 60%.. 75%.. 90%) will get rid of virtually all community spread of Covid. That won’t just make vaccinated people 90% safer... it will make them 99.9999% safer.

Whether sufficient levels of people will get voluntarily vaccinated... I suspect it will become fairly compulsory. Possibly Proof of vaccination will be required to board an airplane. It will be required by employers. Heard rumors WDW is going to require guests to provide proof of vaccination at some point.

(and can’t believe... I still have to say this: Covid is not the flu).

havoc315

What do you believe can be done at the Federal level, apart from public transportation and federal property? Or do you just mean the CDC should set out guidelines and hope the states will adopt them?

WDW has been following CDC guidelines and has indicated they will continue to do so.
... and in terms of Federally regulated transportation, requirements for vaccination to board a flight would impact a huge percentage of WDW guests. (Educated guess, around 50% of WDW guests arrive by plane).

Tom P.

That misses the point. If there is still large community spread, then even vaccinated individuals are in danger. reduced danger, but still dangerous.

If a rollercoaster went from injuring 50% of riders down to 5% of riders, you still wouldn’t ride it. You’d wait for the injury rate to drop to 00.0001%.

Sufficient levels of vaccination (we don’t yet know if that’s 60%.. 75%.. 90%) will get rid of virtually all community spread of Covid. That won’t just make vaccinated people 90% safer... it will make them 99.9999% safer.

Whether sufficient levels of people will get voluntarily vaccinated... I suspect it will become fairly compulsory. Possibly Proof of vaccination will be required to board an airplane. It will be required by employers. Heard rumors WDW is going to require guests to provide proof of vaccination at some point.

(and can’t believe... I still have to say this: Covid is not the flu).
Covid is also not the black death. You are WAY overestimating people's concern about Covid. By like 1000%. You're right that the vaccine does not provide 100% protection. But it's damn near 100% protection from serious illness or death. And the new studies coming out also show that it actually prevents infection and prevents you from spreading Covid. There was one study I recently referenced from The Mayo Clinic and another that came out today from Israel. The data is building up on just how effective this vaccine is.

Vaccinated people are not going to continue to wear masks, socially distance, and restrict their lifestyles because there is still a slight chance of someone giving Covid to them. People just do not have that level of concern that the risk has to literally be 0 for them to resume their normal life.

Tom P.

I’m not expecting it to happen but I certainly wouldn’t say there is no chance.
Disney is not going to take on the financial or logistical burden that it would entail, nor the negative PR that would ensure. But, perhaps most importantly, they would be scared to death of the legal liability when someone gets Covid after Disney claims to be screening everyone for vaccination. No, I don't think there is any chance at all of Disney doing this.

havoc315

Covid is also not the black death. You are WAY overestimating people's concern about Covid. By like 1000%. You're right that the vaccine does not provide 100% protection. But it's damn near 100% protection from serious illness or death. And the new studies coming out also show that it actually prevents infection and prevents you from spreading Covid. There was one study I recently referenced from The Mayo Clinic and another that came out today from Israel. The data is building up on just how effective this vaccine is.

Vaccinated people are not going to continue to wear masks, socially distance, and restrict their lifestyles because there is still a slight chance of someone giving Covid to them. People just do not have that level of concern that the risk has to literally be 0 for them to resume their normal life.

Well... they will wear the masks if they want to visit WDW.. or enter other businesses where they continue to be required.

correcaminos

And I wouldn’t recommend WDW open a theme park in Afghanistan. How is polio doing in the US where we have vaccinated to herd immunity?

There has not been a case of polio in the US since 1979.

The mumps article is the exact evidence why you can’t have vaccine alone. Vaccine works great if you have a widely vaccinated public and low levels of disease. Then outbreaks remain small and controlled. But first, you need to get to the point of low disease levels.
Holy smokes are you just arguing for the sake of arguing to prove an invalid point? That wasn't even directed at you. Not really here to discuss with someone who just likes to pick fights to try to prove a point.

correcaminos

I wish things weren't so restricted right now for us. DD12s first time doing a school sport, swim. I haven't met the coach, or had any communication except this is the practice schedule, nothing about uniforms, etc. Still no spectators at meets either, but basketball, football, wrestling were all allowed at least 1 parent. Kinda bummed I'm missing it and frustrated the popular sports were allowed a different standard. Hoping the county metric going down changes that.
Better than what we have with the arts. We've been canceled for going on a year now.

havoc315

Disney is not going to take on the financial or logistical burden that it would entail, nor the negative PR that would ensure. But, perhaps most importantly, they would be scared to death of the legal liability when someone gets Covid after Disney claims to be screening everyone for vaccination. No, I don't think there is any chance at all of Disney doing this.

I’d say it’s leas likely they will do it. But the PR would be a reason to do it.

Logistically, it’s far easier than the temp checks they are doing: just show your vaccination passport.

And PR-wise, it’s a huge win. It’s a way to assure the public they are safe. Especially if kids can’t get the vaccine. so it’s a great PR message — “you can safely bring your family to WDW because we require all adults to be vaccinated.”
Huge win for their customer base.

havoc315

Holy smokes are you just arguing for the sake of arguing to prove an invalid point? That wasn't even directed at you. Not really here to discuss with someone who just likes to pick fights to try to prove a point.

I’m not here to pick fights. You are free to ignore my posts.

Lilofan

Tourism companies , private and public companies ( ie airlines ) country airports are already discussing this topic. It is something called a vaccine passport. I have successfully recovered from my second Moderna shot after a rough 23 hours in bed due to side effects. In my possession is what I consider as gold. It is the CDC card that shows I have been vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine. I was advised that this is the proof to show authorities. I will be making copies of this card, saving a pic on my phone and putting the original in a safe place.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Both the company and individuals have proven they are willing to do far more than the naysayers thought.

As Chapek himself is saying he has no doubt that there will be social distancing and masking at Disney for the rest of the year.

You have much more faith in the general population then I do. We knew everything we needed to know to prevent a huge spike over the holidays and yet we ended up with the worst level of new cases and deaths we have had so far.

havoc315

You have much more faith in the general population then I do. We knew everything we needed to know to prevent a huge spike over the holidays and yet we ended up with the worst level of new cases and deaths we have had so far.

I have faith that Chapek isn’t lying when he says masks and social distancing will be required for the rest of the year.

There seems to be widespread belief in this thread that there will be some insurrection at WDW forcing Chapek to go back on his statements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom