Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVCakaCarlF

Hey DVCer,

this is a social, highly communicable disease and what you do or don't do can adversely affect others.

It's all of our business at this point.

Oh and nice job of completely missing the intention and benign message of the original topic maker for your own defensive posturing.
I didn’t miss the point...if the OP wants to tell people what to do, they handle some push back.

I’m not walking around coughing, sneezing, and yelling in people’s face...I’m not engaging in harmful behavior.

I do have a problem when people feel like they need to “help” the authorities enforce the law, when it is not their place to do so.

I was at WDW till Sunday, and I don’t need someone telling me to leave because they feel like they’re trapped.

ImperfectPixie

If this post is too off topic I’ll remove it...just ask...

Is anyone else extremely bothered by how much Amazon will profit off this situation?

I’ve been personally boycotting Amazon for over a year.. understanding that I’m not making much of a dent, but still doing what I can to support local and brick & mortar stores.
As if Amazon trucks weren’t already neighborhood mainstays, there’s going to be even more now.
That is true. I just hope people shop other places besides Amazon during this time, at least in addition to. All stores should go to free shipping right now.
People in our town are encouraging small businesses to offer delivery, have set up groups for crafters who can no longer earn a living at craft fairs...all in all our community is pulling together very nicely. (One landlord announced that he's waiving rent for all of his tenants for the month of April.) I am, however, glad Amazon is a thing...helps with limiting the number of people out in public if they know they can get their vitamins or whatever shipped to their house for free.

ETA: There is a smattering of people who are still scoffing and pretending all the school closures etc. are unnecessary.

21stamps

Ok I’m off to buy a bunch of security cameras.. I think the crazies probably haven’t descended on Best Buy, so those should still be in stock.

21stamps

People in our town are encouraging small businesses to offer delivery, have set up groups for crafters who can no longer earn a living at craft fairs...all in all our community is pulling together very nicely. (One landlord announced that he's waiving rent for all of his tenants for the month of April.) I am, however, glad Amazon is a thing...helps with limiting the number of people out in public if they know they can get their vitamins or whatever shipped to their house for free.

This is the best thing I’ve read all day. ❤️

esskay

Gotta say Amazon's been a life saver here (UK).

People have got nuts at the supermarkets, buying the most random of items. I popped in on the way home from work and all I wanted was 2 bottles of almond milk and some breakfast bars....all gone!

Hop on Amazon and I've got a months supply coming tomorrow. Just in time for lock down.

ImperfectPixie

Gotta say Amazon's been a life saver here (UK).

People have got nuts at the supermarkets, buying the most random of items. All I wanted was 2 bottles of almond milk and some breakfast bars....all gone!

Hop on Amazon and I've got a months supply coming tomorrow. Just in time for lock down.
Yeah...the supermarket I went to today looked like we're in the middle of a literal war. The meat section was totally wiped out except for a few weird types that I wouldn't even begin to know how to cook; dry goods, canned goods - decimated. Half-and-half section was empty, but interestingly whole milk was fully stocked. The panic shopping is continuing, and with the president and governor of our state both asking that people ease up on extreme food shopping, but it just isn't happening, and that is very bad.

hopemax

If this post is too off topic I’ll remove it...just ask...

Is anyone else extremely bothered by how much Amazon will profit off this situation?

I’ve been personally boycotting Amazon for over a year.. understanding that I’m not making much of a dent, but still doing what I can to support local and brick & mortar stores.
As if Amazon trucks weren’t already neighborhood mainstays, there’s going to be even more now.
Nope. I’m old enough where Amazon IS my local small business. I still remember my Dad’s excitement when he was telling me about this online book place, and how he put his order in in the morning and it was in his mailbox when he got home. Costco is also another local business. Yes, I grew up in Washington. Do I love everything they do, no, but we would be up a creek right now without their services.

Rimmit

The state lab in MA processed ~400 tests overnight. 6 new positives today.

That is great!!! We live in the dark ages here in rural KY. The state takes 4 days. We are investigating maybe using LabCorp or possibly Mayo as they can supposedly get us results in 1-2 days. Still after that before it can be confirmed you have to send another sample to the state for final confirmation. We should know about private test options by tomorrow as the private labs are now hopping onboard because the government is gonna pay for it so they all want a piece of that pie.

easyrowrdw

The other reason to be tested is that in case you're a carrier who has none or mild symptoms, you can quarantine yourself and not spread the disease to loved ones and others.

But if you have no or just mild symptoms, then you probably don't think you need to be tested. But even if you do, they're probably not going to test you because you don't have severe symptoms. It's a vicious cycle, catch-22, no-win situation...or something like that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah...the supermarket I went to today looked like we're in the middle of a literal war. The meat section was totally wiped out except for a few weird types that I wouldn't even begin to know how to cook; dry goods, canned goods - decimated. Half-and-half section was empty, but interestingly whole milk was fully stocked. The panic shopping is continuing, and with the president and governor of our state both asking that people ease up on extreme food shopping, but it just isn't happening, and that is very bad.
My local chain store only had the beyond meat. When even that tuff is sold out it’s time to panic ;)

We have a local grocery store with no online or delivery service. They had everything stocked. I soaked my wife down with hand sanitizer and sent her in. That reminds me, it’s been 8 hours now...I can let her back in the house now;)

Rimmit

But if you have no or just mild symptoms, then you probably don't think you need to be tested. But even if you do, they're probably not going to test you because you don't have severe symptoms. It's a vicious cycle, catch-22, no-win situation...or something like that.

We aren’t even allowed to test in my hospital if you are flu negative unless you have significant symptoms and a significant travel history or known contact. Otherwise we just say go home and self quarantine for 14 days.

ELG13

That’s incredibly fast. At our hospital it is taking us 4 days to get a Covid test result back.

I work for a hospital in KY, and maybe our state is just painfully slow. Where do you live?
Florida in the panhandle. We have labcore and quest diagnostics. I know for sure one of those, possibly both, are approved covid-19 testing sites.

WDW862

"
Representatives of the Union and Walt Disney World Management team discussed the following items covering the time period until March 31, 2020. As this is a fluid situation, the parties are committed to continuing discussions about future changes to Union members at Walt Disney World. Here is what we know so far:

For the week of March 15-March 21, Full-Time and Part-Time Cast will be paid for all straight time scheduled hours that they do not work up to 40 hours.

If you are not scheduled for the time period of March 22 through March 31, Full-Time and Part-Time Cast will be paid based upon an average of hours paid during a time period to be determined*, up to 40 hours. For Full-Time, the minimum hours paid will be 32 hours.

Cast Members will be paid their statused rate of pay. For example, a statused Coordinator will be paid the $1.50 premium while relief Coordinators will not.
Tipped Cast Members will be paid the “Vacation Rate” they normally receive while on paid time off.
All hours paid during this time period will count towards eligibility for FT status.
The Company has committed that no Full-Time Cast Member will lose their Healthcare benefits.
The Company has committed to grant any unpaid Leave of Absence requested by a Cast Member.
Remember to check your schedule on the HUB on a regular basis as this situation will be changing from day-to-day. You can also utilize the Company Emergency Hotlines for operational updates. As we learn more information, we will provide information.
Contact your Local Union for more information. Stay strong and United. We are all in this together.
*As soon as this time period is determined, we will provide an update.
"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom