Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The incoming Biden administration said they'd be revoking that last minute Trump administration lifting of the ban as soon as it was announced days before the inauguration.

I'm surprised it wasn't rescinded in the first batch of Executive Orders.

Perhaps, unlike the previous administration, they're taking the time for the lawyers to draft and go over the EOs so that they're not immediately struck down by a court.

The lifting of the ban wasn't going to go into effect until tomorrow, so there was no reason to rush it out day one.

DisneyDebRob

Yea, real slow considering Moderna has been available for less than 4 weeks and availability for the 65+ general population only started 3 weeks ago. At least Ron Desantis was intelligent enough to prioritize the most at risk population over young grocery store workers or the number of 65+ with their first shot would be far lower.

No, it doesn't extrapolate like that. There are around 3.5 million seniors left to go. As of the latest report, 451,000 first doses were given 1/10-1/16. They have been ramping up capacity to give shots so this capacity is higher now. There should easily be the ability to give 500,000 first doses a week now and likely more but using 500,000 would mean 7 weeks. That calculates to being able to give first doses to the entire the 65+ population by 3/14 and allow the next phase to begin 6 weeks earlier than your extrapolation.

The mayor of Broward County sent an email on 1/15 where he stated that he expected that all seniors 65+ who wanted the vaccine should be able to get one (assuming he meant first dose) in 5-7 weeks which the high end would be a week earlier than my estimate. This all assumes doses are available.
Sorry buddy.. I stopped reading right after the sentence “ at least Ron desantis was intelligent enough “.Oh boy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If I get the vaccine by September, I'll be surprised. I don't envy the folks trying to piece this mess together.
The 65+ members of my wife’s family from Long Island are all getting their first shots on Tuesday. They got appointments at a church. Pretty random stuff, but it’s moving forward. I think you’ll get in before Sept, but it’s gonna be a while.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The logistics say the country should be fully vaccinated by July 1 if we use all the vaccines. Why would anyone deny scientific facts. The EU is already using AstraZeneca and we should too. The CDC is not working in the interest of US Citizens by not approving it on an emergency basis. The new Administration should follow the lead of the Obama Administration which approved the Ebola vaccine prior to completing stage 3 testing and approve AstraZeneca's vaccine today.

Mistakes were made in the AstraZeneca trial which resulted in some odd data. It is totally understandable that the US would want to do an independent review of the study data which AstraZeneca has yet to provide. Also, the CDC does not approve vaccines, that's up to the FDA.

Lilofan

I think you’re being too pessimistic. In order for that to be true no other vaccines can be approved and there is a serious delay in production of Pfizer and Moderna. The General Public will get their shot this summer.
At least the many that will be waiting outside on line will have warmer weather.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I can’t say what’s going on everywhere in the country, but where I live we have the capacity to do many more vaccinations a day. We just need the shots. They haven’t even fully rolled out pharmacies or opened a second mass vaccination site because with the sites they have they are using up all the shots they get and each week they end on empty until the next batch comes in.

Same on this side of the Delaware as well...

I live 1 mile from a much ballyhooed “mega site”...

The parking lot is empty most of the day...and always afternoon.

Gotta have a product to “sell”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Mistakes were made in the AstraZeneca trial which resulted in some odd data. It is totally understandable that the US would want to do an independent review of the study data which AstraZeneca has yet to provide. Also, the CDC does not approve vaccines, that's up to the FDA.
Agreed. If/when AstraZeneca gets approved it will be based solely on the US trial that’s not done yet. When they submit for EUA they will go through the same process everyone else did with the results of that trial. The other trials where the errors happened shouldn‘t be considered. We have to keep the science consistent and transparent. We should not approve the vaccine just because others have. That would kill confidence in the process.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My 75+ dad got his today. It was not the easiest to get the shot for him, but we got it finally. Disney with refreshes and redials had me prepped. What I would like to see is making it easier for those who do need help to even get an appointment. This is a real struggle for many.

Finally? That just shows how we are looking at the situation/scale. He ended up being near the front of the line.

I’m happy for him and you 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. If/when AstraZeneca gets approved it will be based solely on the US trial that’s not done yet. When they submit for EUA they will go through the same process everyone else did with the results of that trial. The other trials where the errors happened shouldn‘t be considered. We have to keep the science consistent and transparent. We should not approve the vaccine just because others have. That would kill confidence in the process.

So what you’re saying is: the “warp drive” was broken on that one?

It’s a shame too...more cooperation may have eased the process and increased supply more quickly.

Heppenheimer

My mom, who meets Pennsylvania's age criteria, got her first dose yesterday. One of her friends told her that a residential home for women with developmental disabilities had extra doses available and they were offering them first-come, first-served. She registered online, and was contacted within an hour for an appointment that day. She has an appointment to return for her second dose.

Although I'm glad my mom was able to get her vaccine, the fact that she received it through what was essentially an insider tip tells me that the roll-out in PA hasn't been ideal.

Up here in Vermont, our state-run sites are beginning for those over 75 this week. I live in an area with a pretty low population, even for Vermont, but the number of doses I see allotted for our local sites are depressingly low.

Last edited:

pixie225

The 65+ members of my wife’s family from Long Island are all getting their first shots on Tuesday. They got appointments at a church. Pretty random stuff, but it’s moving forward. I think you’ll get in before Sept, but it’s gonna be a while.
Hope they get it. My aunt was supposed to get her shot tomorrow (Tuesday) at a church in Hempstead. Got a call last night that it was cancelled because they ran out of vaccine and she has to re-schedule, which was a pain in the butt last time. Terrible.

correcaminos

Finally? That just shows how we are looking at the situation/scale. He ended up being near the front of the line.

I’m happy for him and you 👍🏻
You misunderstand what I mean by finally. I'm talking how hard the process was to find him a shot. I had appointments canceled on me with no reason only to have the slot remain available. Spent hours refreshing and looking and worrying others would cancel without cause. Also on multiple no show lists to be called. That's the finally - finally done spending ours on this for him. Both my MIL and my dad took literal hours to get signed up. That's not good for those who have no ability to spend the hours looking.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I think you’re being too pessimistic. In order for that to be true no other vaccines can be approved and there is a serious delay in production of Pfizer and Moderna. The General Public will get their shot this summer.

If I learned anything from post #1 of this thread back in nothing-happening-here February 2020, talk is cheap:

For starters, I'm a hypochondriac who lives and works in NYC. Already, we're off to a good start (and I fit the stereotype). Even with every precaution, even with assurances in print that there are no confirmed cases in the city, I'm getting a little worse for wear with each passing day. This is also crimping my desire to travel. Especially to metropolitan areas (which strike me as obviously a little more prone to spreading the virus). And if I had a trip coming up for Disney, I wonder if I'd think twice. In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

Life is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. Violence, accidents, transportation mishaps. But I'm wondering when (not if) the coronavirus is going to hit to the point that it affects travel and, more specifically, WDW. Does Disney have plans in place beyond limiting hours and laying off performers?

My 82 year-old father is scheduled to get his first shot in May. And he's a triple threat! Elderly, pre-existing condition, and is still working in the NYC public school system (though on that last point, he's been solely working remotely and on a part-time basis).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My mom, who meets Pennsylvania's age criteria, got her first dose yesterday. One of her friends told her that a residential home for women with developmental disabilities had extra doses available and they were offering them first-come, first-served. She registered online, and was contacted within an hour for an appointment that day. She has an appointment to return for her second dose.

Although I'm glad my mom was able to get her vaccine, the fact that she received it through what was essentially an insider tip tells me that the roll-out in PA hasn't been ideal.

Up here in Vermont, our state-run sites are beginning for those over 75 this week. I live in an area with a pretty low population, even for Vermont, but the number of doses I see allotted for our local sites are depressingly low.
It seems to be that way most places. Lots of who you know and getting the information ahead of the masses.

Patcheslee

States are saying that they're running out, yet, they have still to deliver half the doses given to them.
They only schedule what they know will get both doses. So if a county is told only 50 doses a day delivery they have to hold enough back for the 2nd dose =25 people with appointments. They are "running out" of being able to schedule more people because the county has not been allocated more.
My step-dads first dose isn't scheduled until Feb 20th, both his doses in essence already accounted for in Indiana.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hope they get it. My aunt was supposed to get her shot tomorrow (Tuesday) at a church in Hempstead. Got a call last night that it was cancelled because they ran out of vaccine and she has to re-schedule, which was a pain in the butt last time. Terrible.
They are north and east of there, but the same thing could happen. It’s all a crap shoot at this point. You just have to hope the stars align and you get your chance. That’s why nobody should pass it up if eligible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom