Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustincohle

I don’t know if the goalposts ever moved. He’s been saying a return to normalcy by the fall for months now. I didn’t take his comments as saying there would be no change in 3 months, but I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think things will be back to normal by May 1. There will likely be a gradual reduction in Covid restrictions and depending on vaccine rollout by May 1 it may very well be that cases have dropped to the point where a lot of restrictions are gone. I don’t think all restrictions. Kids most likely won’t be approved for a vaccine by May 1 so schools won’t be back to normal...I’m praying for that for the fall start of the next school year. At a place like WDW I don’t think all restrictions are gone by then. I think some will be and capacity will be up but probably not full.
Are kids getting the vaccine in the US? I don't think they will at all in the UK - as I understand it the odds of them having any issues, let alone serious ones, from Covid are extremely low (near enough nil), but schools are closed because they can still pass the virus onto adults who could then suffer. Once those adults (not just teachers but parents as well) are vaccinated, there should be no issues with schools reopening.

Tom P.

Question:

Why risk any of that nonsense?
Because right now, at this moment, where we are is that states cannot guarantee the availability of a second dose on a specific date to a specific person. The supply chain just isn't functioning well enough for that to happen. Hopefully that gets rectified soon, but that's where we are right now.

So the choice is to either forgo getting the first dose entirely until such time as a guarantee can be provided on the second dose, or get the first dose with the hope that you'll be able to get the second one on time or at least within a few weeks of on time. Right now, if I a person eligible to receive the vaccine, I would choose the latter.

sullyinMT

Are kids getting the vaccine in the US? I don't think they will at all in the UK - as I understand it the odds of them having any issues, let alone serious ones, from Covid are extremely low (near enough nil), but schools are closed because they can still pass the virus onto adults who could then suffer. Once those adults (not just teachers but parents as well) are vaccinated, there should be no issues with schools reopening.
We're expecting Pfizer data sometime this early summer/late spring (12+), and Moderna is enrolling the same age group now. Once available to him, my oldest (13) will be vaccinated. The brilliant research minds at Cincinnati Children's P&G Research Center are expecting younger age trials to start as adolescent data rolls in, though the low age stop has not been determined. It's as you said, not to prevent childhood infection so much (though ~200 US kids have died, and there are some trends in youth hospitalizations worth watching) as it is to aid in tamping down infection and limiting mutation.

Heppenheimer

No, it isn't approved yet for anyone less than 16 years old. Depending on the state, a tiny number of 16+ teenagers may qualify for the next priority group, but the actual numbers who have probably received even one dose at this point are probably miniscule.

HarperRose

I am happy to share that yesterday evening whilst picking up a few things from the grocery store, I won the lottery and got one of those extra doses. Moderna.
I can report that overnight I had terrible sweats, and this morning I woke up with a fever of 100. My arm hurts soooo bad, I am starting to get a massive, MASSIVE headache, and I think some gastric issues. But its all worth it.
Did you have Covid previously, where it would cause your immune system to possibly go into overdrive? Or was this your second dose?

Regardless, I hope you're feeling better.

sullyinMT

Because right now, at this moment, where we are is that states cannot guarantee the availability of a second dose on a specific date to a specific person. The supply chain just isn't functioning well enough for that to happen. Hopefully that gets rectified soon, but that's where we are right now.

So the choice is to either forgo getting the first dose entirely until such time as a guarantee can be provided on the second dose, or get the first dose with the hope that you'll be able to get the second one on time or at least within a few weeks of on time. Right now, if I a person eligible to receive the vaccine, I would choose the latter.
I see what you're trying to say, but the vaccines achieved that incredible effectiveness by following a protocol. Deviate from it too much, and you really play with fire in losing effectiveness. There were early signs of success in Israel, but a number of "delayed" second dose recipients have been infected.

The other side of the coin, while frustrating, is to have a lower number of correctly vaccinated people by cancelling or postponing first shot patients when shipments fall short. The second dose should be scheduled either before or when you show up for your first appointment, best case scenario.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Not much of a choice...

You complete the cycles per specs and wait for more.

This is all the same nonsense as the last 11 months...do things the right way and stop trying to “rig” anything.

That means be smart, don’t ease the precautions...and stay the hell out the magic kingdom.

Same spot as last week, month, season, admin, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No, it isn't approved yet for anyone less than 16 years old. Depending on the state, a tiny number of 16+ teenagers may qualify for the next priority group, but the actual numbers who have probably received even one dose at this point are probably miniscule.

I’m all for the research and preparations...but I for one couldn’t care less about children vaccines at this point in time.

That’s like skiing down the mountain before you get off the lift

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Amazon held off on purpose simply because the Trump Admin would have welcomed it. If Amazon thought the Trump Admin would have rejected it, that would have been mainstream media gold.
Trump was given an opportunity to turn his optics around with COVID. But he chose to blame and minimize. I feel like he was essentially a wartime president in his last year but fumbled before it even began. Not surprising but if he'd actually lead, he would have gained my respect.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Trump was given an opportunity to turn his optics around with COVID. But he chose to blame and minimize. I feel like he was essentially a wartime president in his last year but fumbled before it even began. Not surprising but if he'd actually lead, he would have gained my respect.

Two gigantic mistakes were made in the last year...Yuge.

And honestly they both were caused by the same problem: narcissism

Animal_Kingdom_09

Doesn‘t impact real snow birds then. When they say rental agreement I wonder how long that has to be. If someone rents a house for 2 weeks or a month does that count or does it have to be a multi-month rental?

When you look at the statute (ironically they use the medical marijuana residency statute), the stay must be for at least 31 days. A rental agreement for that length of time would work, although that would require you to be here for about 2 months - 31 days to get the first shot and then another 21-28 days for the second shot.

The law also allows an affidavit from a resident for a person who is staying with someone here and not actually renting a place. For example, my mom is staying with us for several months this year and she is covered by our residency.

Florida is not trying to block out snowbirds - the governor is trying to stop vaccine tourism, both international and nearby states. International is the big one, though. South America (Argentina, primarily) and Canada seem to be the sources. The US vaccine tourism stopped when all of the states went to 65+.

People will still find a way around it, but this is about the best that can be done short of restricting it to people with Florida driver's licenses only.

SamusAranX

Playing the voice of reason?

Sure...I’ll go with that.
As long as “wounded authoritarian” goes away...we can all just get along...

What’s new with wdw and covid?
...right...have to get serious as travels bleeds out on the floor.

And the wheel spins
No. I’ve made it extremely clear I’m not a political person and I loathe politics. I recognize there will be limited references to in this thread per leeway by @The Mom but it frequently devolves into way worse. Because of both “sides”.

anyway I like you and your posts for the most part. My senile rant is over 🥲🤪

SamusAranX

Samus, this isn't any comment on you but it's a little late to suggest this here. There are more volumes in this thread of the fight you refer to than Ernest Hemingway had autobiographies. There's no turning back now...
Yeah I know. My efforts are probably futile. There’s very few corners of the internet I can get away from stupid politics and I have a forlorn hope this can stay one of them. 😂

Lilofan

When you look at the statute (ironically they use the medical marijuana residency statute), the stay must be for at least 31 days. A rental agreement for that length of time would work, although that would require you to be here for about 2 months - 31 days to get the first shot and then another 21-28 days for the second shot.

The law also allows an affidavit from a resident for a person who is staying with someone here and not actually renting a place. For example, my mom is staying with us for several months this year and she is covered by our residency.

Florida is not trying to block out snowbirds - the governor is trying to stop vaccine tourism, both international and nearby states. International is the big one, though. South America (Argentina, primarily) and Canada seem to be the sources. The US vaccine tourism stopped when all of the states went to 65+.

People will still find a way around it, but this is about the best that can be done short of restricting it to people with Florida driver's licenses only.
It has to be frustrating for some when the FL Governor advised the state was vaccinating residents and others but now changes the story to restrict vaccines to FL residents.

Patcheslee

Just as a general question can the Defense production act force other pharmaceutical companies not producing the vaccine to give up a portion of their ingredients shared by the vaccine? There's a Lannett Co. plant in town but they don't produce the vaccine. The sister plant in NY produces liquid medication.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No. I’ve made it extremely clear I’m not a political person and I loathe politics. I recognize there will be limited references to in this thread per leeway by @The Mom but it frequently devolves into way worse. Because of both “sides”.

anyway I like you and your posts for the most part. My senile rant is over 🥲🤪

To be clear: I agree with you. I don’t battle on the politics threads.

My interest here is this: travel/economy/covid/disney

That’s a tangled knot...none are fixed until they all are.

...but I don’t want to hear “feelings” or “healing” from the wrong group. No sir, that’s not gonna play 😉

Best to leave that alone and call the bomb squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom