Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

So what are you claiming, that Bezos wanted people not to get vaccinated just to make Trump look bad? I think a more reasonable assumption would be that Amazon waited to find a receptive audience. Tump doesn't seem to have a team put together to where Amazon could even begin to help and Trump personally hates Bezos.
Amazon held off on purpose simply because the Trump Admin would have welcomed it. If Amazon thought the Trump Admin would have rejected it, that would have been mainstream media gold.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If Amazon offered help to the Trump Admin and they rejected it, it would have been all over the mainstream media for sure..
You do you...Trump lost a free and fair election and is yesterday‘s news. There’s a whole lot that could have happened differently since the start of this pandemic that would have likely resulted in a less tragic situation but there’s not much we can do to change that now. All we can do is look forward to what actually can be done now. If Amazon can help I’m certainly not opposed to it. History will look back on this pandemic when it’s all over and decide who made mistakes and who did things right. There will be a time for that, but right now the focus is on getting to the finish line.

carolina_yankee

So now the goalposts have moved and we need enough people vaccinated for herd immunity before we approach a "degree of normality?"

How about a "degree of normality" in 3 months when the vast majority of people 65+ are vaccinated and 80% of the deaths cease?

Nobody will convince me that Fauci isn't on some kind of power trip which just got worse since Biden made him more important.

I'm not sure the goalposts have been moved, or maybe it's just been my own assumptions. I've always assumed we will have a "degree of normalcy" when stats are at a level to say so. My own assumption has been that something approaching herd immunity will be the time when that happens. The nature of the virus is such that transmission needs to be virtually unlikely before we can stop taking precautions.

I also think a "degree of normalcy" will be a steady dial-up. When numbers justify it, travel becomes easier and capacity restrictions are reduced. As numbers continue to justify it, we'll be able to take off masks and gather closer together.

It might be helpful if Fauci described what a "degree of normalcy" actually is.

In your case, I read you as wanting to make sure the elderly are protected out of the belief that COVID isn't that big of a deal for young, healthier people. I don't see that. I see COVID is very dangerous for everyone because I have seen very healthy people get completely taken down by this disease in my congregation, and I have seen nearly terminal, fragile elderly people beat the darn thing off and go and die of whatever was going to get them a few months later.

I also think we need to have a degree of humility about the unknowns, including the variants we are learning about. At the very least, some variants are more contagious, which only increases the need for current precautions. It *may* be the case that a couple of variants could also be somewhat resistant to the vaccine. South Africa's already appears to be resistant to current antibody treatments. This isn't a crisis, but if it happens, the vaccines have to be somewhat re-tooled.

There are so many variables, that I really don't think anyone can say with certainly when a "degree of normalcy" will come. We can only have educated assumptions based on existing data, recognizing that the data will change, sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

Regarding Power Trip, I can only say that, from where I sit, Fauci has generally been bang on with his estimates. A year ago, he was saying a vaccine in 12 - 18 months. He has also been warning about infections and deaths. Well, here we are, right on both counts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So now the goalposts have moved and we need enough people vaccinated for herd immunity before we approach a "degree of normality?"

How about a "degree of normality" in 3 months when the vast majority of people 65+ are vaccinated and 80% of the deaths cease?

Nobody will convince me that Fauci isn't on some kind of power trip which just got worse since Biden made him more important.
I don’t know if the goalposts ever moved. He’s been saying a return to normalcy by the fall for months now. I didn’t take his comments as saying there would be no change in 3 months, but I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think things will be back to normal by May 1. There will likely be a gradual reduction in Covid restrictions and depending on vaccine rollout by May 1 it may very well be that cases have dropped to the point where a lot of restrictions are gone. I don’t think all restrictions. Kids most likely won’t be approved for a vaccine by May 1 so schools won’t be back to normal...I’m praying for that for the fall start of the next school year. At a place like WDW I don’t think all restrictions are gone by then. I think some will be and capacity will be up but probably not full.

lazyboy97o

Which part is questionable? Trump repeatedly made his disdain for Bezos, Amazon and The Washington Post well known. The lack of a federal vaccine distribution plan was been widely reported. And now, as I type this, I heard some new new, that Amazon is saying that they did offer help with vaccine distribution before this week.

GimpYancIent

I don’t know if the goalposts ever moved. He’s been saying a return to normalcy by the fall for months now. I didn’t take his comments as saying there would be no change in 3 months, but I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think things will be back to normal by May 1. There will likely be a gradual reduction in Covid restrictions and depending on vaccine rollout by May 1 it may very well be that cases have dropped to the point where a lot of restrictions are gone. I don’t think all restrictions. Kids most likely won’t be approved for a vaccine by May 1 so schools won’t be back to normal...I’m praying for that for the fall start of the next school year. At a place like WDW I don’t think all restrictions are gone by then. I think some will be and capacity will be up but probably not full.
Yea sure. The term "normal" means what? Restrictions will ease as time passes and conditions improve, but, a return to things as they were pre-COVID19/ Don't hold your breath.

SamusAranX

Not to mention, if you think the 45th President would have ever entertained receiving help and giving Bezos a bunch of good PR and govt cash when he had on multiple occasions expressed his hatred of Amazon and his desire to to destroy it, I have some oceanfront property in Nevada you might be interested in.
I’m interested. Been trying to acquire oceanfront property for years

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Which part is questionable? Trump repeatedly made his disdain for Bezos, Amazon and The Washington Post well known. The lack of a federal vaccine distribution plan was been widely reported. And now, as I type this, I heard some new new, that Amazon is saying that they did offer help with vaccine distribution before this week.
So to summarize...Amazon offered help in 2020, Amazon was told the States are responsible for the vaccine not the federal government, Amazon reached out to each governor individually. So you are telling me the conspiracy theory that Amazon waited until Biden took office to offer help isn’t true...shocking :cool:

Kevin_W

Surely the U.S. has the capability of "opening" plants to manufacture more vaccine, if the government would fund it. There are plenty of vacant facilities that could be used. NY converted places into making ventilators when needed, as did other states. This, imho, should be a top priority - especially since Pfizer is a U.S./NY-based company.

I work in the specialty chemical industry, so have some familiarity with this. Converting a facility fro chemical manufacture is a non-trivial task. It's not just the money, but it takes a long time. Pharmaceuticals are another level beyond that because of all the GMP protocols in place. Ventilators and masks are a piece of cake in comparison.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yea sure. The term "normal" means what? Restrictions will ease as time passes and conditions improve, but, a return to things as they were pre-COVID19/ Don't hold your breath.
Yeah, it depends on what you talk about. Things like gyms or indoor dining could likely be back by May if the vaccine rollout is good, but those things were back most places in the summer/fall without a vaccine. I wouldn’t expect masks to be gone by May. It’s all relative to what you consider is needed to be considered normal. If I can go to WDW and most of the missing stuff is back but I still have to wear a mask is that enough of a return to “normal”. For some people yes, for others no.

GimpYancIent

After Katrina Lt. General Russel Honere made the very quotable statement "Don't get stuck on stupid". AMAZON has been in all along but just did not make the BIG announcement. Suddenly its breaking news. Too many getting in each others way attempting to achieve the goal of getting the vaccine to the end recipient.

lazyboy97o

After Katrina Lt. General Russel Honere made the very quotable statement "Don't get stuck on stupid". AMAZON has been in all along but just did not make the BIG announcement. Suddenly its breaking news. Too many getting in each others way attempting to achieve the goal of getting the vaccine to the end recipient.
What you are describing is a conspiracy, that Amazon was involved all along but everyone involved agreed to stay quiet and then lie about when the work started.

sullyinMT

We're really getting hung up on Amazon without seeing the full picture. While they could have definitely provided early data support, early distribution was done strictly through hospitals and LTC facilities that have their own data management, however imperfect.

If Amazon would have received preferential distribution to their 800k employees before our most frail population (LTC), who aren't able to live an independent life regardless of age, that would have stunk to the high heavens. Remember the (temporary) outrage when the financial players tried to classify themselves as essential. I don't fault them for waiting until now to ask about a start to immunizing their own at all.

I don't doubt for a second Amazon brass (probably not Bezos personally) reached out at the same time agreements were reached with pharmacy chains and logistics operators. AWS at a minimum should have been taken up on the offer, at the very least to scale up systems already in place and get ready for the massive vaccination waves about to start. Amazon's distribution logistics simply don't reach the furthest rural channels yet the way FedEx and UPS do, but I'm sure they could help in their larger site areas where their trucks are delivering.

Very soon, Atrium Health, Honeywell, and the Carolina Panthers' ownership group are going to be trialing a partnership mass vaccination clinic in Charlotte. I think I saw it was to occur at the race track. It has the backing of the NC governor, and if it works they plan to share their model with others. Honeywell is ready to offer their data tracking services to others, I'm sure in some similar way to what Amazon could do.

pixie225

I just want a vaccination. The chances of my family and myself getting one before May here in NY is slight - even with 3 of us having pretty severe pre-existing conditions - none due to our lifestyle/choices. Guess we will be cancelling our Disneyworld trip (5/1) for the 4th time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom