Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

It has to be frustrating for some when the FL Governor advised the state was vaccinating residents and others but now changes the story to restrict vaccines to FL residents.
I don't think he ever said anything about others. Early on in the process I remember him answering a reporter's question and said that people who reside in FL for a good part of the year (i.e. "snowbirds") would be fine but that people couldn't just come to FL to get vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Are kids getting the vaccine in the US? I don't think they will at all in the UK - as I understand it the odds of them having any issues, let alone serious ones, from Covid are extremely low (near enough nil), but schools are closed because they can still pass the virus onto adults who could then suffer. Once those adults (not just teachers but parents as well) are vaccinated, there should be no issues with schools reopening.
In the US several hundred children have died from Covid so maybe not a huge problem...as long as they weren’t your kid :(. Outside of death there are children being hospitalized and there are potential longer term impacts we are only starting to learn about. I have kids and would 100% definitely get them vaccinated as soon as eligible. Why would anyone not? My kids get a flu shot every year too and the flu is much less likely to have long term health impacts for them and the risks are well known. I don’t know why the UK would not allow kids to ever get the vaccine. Seems like a very short sighted plan.

In the US kids under 18 make up about 25% of the population. If we have any hope of reaching herd immunity we can’t leave 25% of the population out unless we are going to get nearly 100% of adults vaccinated. If we exclude all children and get 80% of adults to get the vaccine that’s only 60% of the total population and that doesn‘t take into account that the vaccine isn’t 100% effective. At 90% efficacy that means less than 55% of the population immune from the vaccine. At that level we don’t reach herd immunity and a full return to normal.

Pfizer is running a trial now for kids down to 12. Results are expected in a few months and they said they would start a trial for kids 5-11 after that trial ends so it’s possible by the summer and before the start of the next school year all school aged kids would be eligible. Kids 12 and up should definitely be vaccinated which will allow high schools at least to open without restrictions.

Animal_Kingdom_09

It has to be frustrating for some when the FL Governor advised the state was vaccinating residents and others but now changes the story to restrict vaccines to FL residents.

Well, I suppose that it is frustrating to non-Floridians who are not snowbirds. As a resident, it does not really affect me. Until the vaccine supply catches up to the demand, somebody is always going to be unhappy. I don't think any state is actively pushing vaccine tourism.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Well, I suppose that it is frustrating to non-Floridians who are not snowbirds. As a resident, it does not really affect me. Until the vaccine supply catches up to the demand, somebody is always going to be unhappy. I don't think any state is actively pushing vaccine tourism.

[DELETED] Oops, reading comprehension deficiency for me, as usual.

Last edited:

Lilofan

That's correct. Vaccine tourism is a catchy phrase. There is no secret that there are wealthy tourists from South America that come to South Florida as an example to vacation and live during the winter time in condos and homes. If they apply and receive appts to get vaccinated and provided some evidence of FL residence then good for them to get a vaccine shot.

Lilofan

I don't think he ever said anything about others. Early on in the process I remember him answering a reporter's question and said that people who reside in FL for a good part of the year (i.e. "snowbirds") would be fine but that people couldn't just come to FL to get vaccinated.
Looks like his idea did not filter down to the vaccination nurses.

oceanbreeze77

Did you have Covid previously, where it would cause your immune system to possibly go into overdrive? Or was this your second dose?

Regardless, I hope you're feeling better.
No covid. First dose. And I wouldn't say my symptoms were severe as they are gone now, still have arm soreness and a bit of fatigue, but everything else resolved. I definitely had more symptoms than others, but they were manageable. I have nurse friends who were knocked down for days.

Disstevefan1

The administration. The administration. The administration. HarperRose was talking about the government. You know the government? Heard of it? Was Amazon elected Commander-in-Chief in 2016?
Oh I though we were discussing why Amazon held off announcing their plan to help distribution of the vaccine till Jan 20th.

oceanbreeze77

Polkadotdress

At the 12/22 press conference re: the announcement of adding +65 in FL, he was specifically asked the following:

“For snowbird season, are full-time residents going to have priority over people that might live elsewhere than here?”

He was unable to provide an answer, and the question caught him off guard. My husband and I were both watching the presser, and weren’t surprised that he hadn’t thought his decision all the way through.

Lilofan

At the 12/22 press conference re: the announcement of adding +65 in FL, he was specifically asked the following:

“For snowbird season, are full-time residents going to have priority over people that might live elsewhere than here?”

He was unable to provide an answer, and the question caught him off guard. My husband and I were both watching the presser, and weren’t surprised that he hadn’t thought his decision all the way through.
That's means in plain English - No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom