Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Who was claiming it’s getting better ? C’mon America, pull yourselves together.

View attachment 522783
America is a big place, Covid is surging in the south and west. California, is still a huge driver of National numbers. The northeast is showing signs of peaking (hospitalizations appear to be flattening) and the Midwest continues to downtrend. It’s better in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin.

It also goes without saying that I strongly suspect “the UK variant” originated here, we just aren’t testing enough to know. I strongly suspect it’s what is making California and the south bad now.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't think anyone? A couple weeks ago it looked like hospitalizations might be plateauing, but alas they continue to climb. The midwest has actually decreased int he past month, but that has been single-handedly offset by California's increase. There is a lot of fear that is due to the "new strain" and will spread our way and make things worse (again) before they get better.

People should be starting to get immunity in the coming few weeks from vaccines. Even though initall rollout in December is small it is targeted a the right people so hopefully that makes a difference.
I was told by someone on these very boards it was getting better just last week. Sadly over here (a smaller place) were resigned to the fact that vaccine roll out won’t make a huge difference until the summer.

If the new variant gets rampant over there good luck. It’s spread like wildfire over here.

Touchdown

I don’t “think it” I know it. Just look back at the Covid tracking projects post from 1/5 for their last region update. As for Wisconsin, we are better here is the latest data on cases and hospitalizations from the Wisconsin Hospital administration’s Covid dashboard:

A06DD6AB-3A7D-45FB-A273-969802BA9396.jpeg
Now I don’t know if the recent flattening is our new floor (I hope not) or a wobble caused by the post holiday testing delay and the holiday delay in discharges to nursing homes (which trust me is real) but we are much better off now then we were 1-2 months ago.

Stick to the facts, they tend to point you in the right direction.

Disstevefan1

So if FL's numbers are increasing so rapidly, I wonder if there is any chance WDW pulls back their capacity cap? They've milked the Holiday Season for all they can and the next chance of coming close to current capacity won't be until Spring Break/Easter. PR could go either way imo, but seems like it could be a good move, especially if current bookings/park reservations are closer to 30% anyway.
Simply put, they will not...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t “think it” I know it. Just look back at the Covid tracking projects post from 1/5 for their last region update. As for Wisconsin, we are better here is the latest data on cases and hospitalizations from the Wisconsin Hospital administration’s Covid dashboard:

View attachment 522790Now I don’t know if the recent flattening is our new floor (I hope not) or a wobble caused by the post holiday testing delay and the holiday delay in discharges to nursing homes (which trust me is real) but we are much better off now then we were 1-2 months ago.

Stick to the facts, they tend to point you in the right direction.

Why would anyone start now??

Heppenheimer

Check CDC and other sites. They don't know if you are immune but checking on it. Best bet assume you aren't immune and keep up the same procedure with distancing and cleaning.
Very much agree. As well as maintaining the same precautions even after vaccination, since the jury is still out on the question if it completely prevents the recipient from spreading the virus.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
America is a big place, Covid is surging in the south and west. California, is still a huge driver of National numbers. The northeast is showing signs of peaking (hospitalizations appear to be flattening) and the Midwest continues to downtrend. It’s better in my neck of the woods in Wisconsin.

It also goes without saying that I strongly suspect “the UK variant” originated here, we just aren’t testing enough to know. I strongly suspect it’s what is making California and the south bad now.

This virus reminds me of an incident where A house I bought developed fleas after some basement pets vacated...

It’s pretty simple: it will continue to surge...unless the cycle is broken.

Everytime an “area” has “started to get better”...they loosen restrictions and “open up” more and the spike returns. Nonsense like high school wrestling and bars. Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.

Fleas can’t be “mostly controlled” or “numbers are low”...they continue to come back in force until you kill the eggs. The cycle is gone then.

You can’t “mostly” be successful and the mentality is still whacked in the US.

Vaccinations will take this down...but considering the hospital situation is worse now than the unknown period last spring...and they’ve learned to treat over time...that gives little to no faith that we are really in control of this.

Last edited:

rangerbob

Very much agree. As well as maintaining the same precautions even after vaccination, since the jury is still out on the question if it completely prevents the recipient from spreading the virus.
I hope they are telling the people that are getting the vaccine that they need to follow the same precautions even though they have the vaccine. I'm in one of the study groups and we were told to keep up with the precautions even if you think you had the vaccine.

Heppenheimer

I hope they are telling the people that are getting the vaccine that they need to follow the same precautions even though they have the vaccine. I'm in one of the study groups and we were told to keep up with the precautions even if you think you had the vaccine.
I can only speak for my hospital, but yes, the messaging was very clear when I received my first dose... maintain the same precautions as before.

Heppenheimer

This virus reminds me of an incident where A house I bought developed fleas after some basement pets vacated...

It’s pretty simple: it will continue to surge...unless the cycle is broken.

Everytime an “area” has “started to get better”...they loosen restrictions and “open up” more and the spike returns. Nonsense like high school wrestling and bars. Stupid is as stupid does, Forrest.

Fleas can’t be “mostly controlled” or “numbers are low”...they continue to come back in force until you kill the eggs. The cycle is gone then.

You can’t “mostly” be successful and the mentality is still whacked in the US.

Vaccinations will take this down...but considering the hospital situation is worse now that the unknown period last spring...and they’ve learned to treat over time...that gives little to no faith that we are really in control of this.
Speaking of stupid is as stupid does, if your faith in humanity couldn't be lower...

Since I received my first dose of the vaccine, I've gone to two of our local ski resorts. Both have closed their indoor dining facilities and bars due to COVID (and unlike European resorts, they don't have outdoor bars). Apparently, the thought of skiing without alcohol is too much to bear for some people. I've never seen so many idiots actively boozing it up on the lifts and slopes. And after a few hours, the results of the elevated BAC were apparent. I've never felt so unsafe skiing, even with the extremely low numbers that were out those days.

Touchdown

Well most of the people are healthcare workers currently, so they should know. However, once it has been two weeks since my second shot I will very much start doing things I haven’t done in nearly 11 months:

-I’m going to go back to just wearing a surgical mask outside the Covid ward instead of the N95 mask I wear now (surgical masks are what my hospital currently recommends)
-I’m going to eat lunch in my team room, potentially with other people there instead of eating alone in an empty room
-I’m going to start going into stores other then grocery stores again
-I’m going to eat at a restaurant
-I’m going to fly on a plane
-I’m going to Disney World
-I’m also going to see more of my family members

Things I will continue to do:
-Wear a mask in public places
-Follow any guidelines required of me by governments or private entities
-I’m going to continue to vigorously wash/sanitize my hands before eating or touching my face

There will be a 94% risk reduction in me getting Covid and a near zero chance of me getting severe Covid. It is not right nor reasonable to ask me to continue to take the severe precautions I have taken since this started. I’m not going to go back to normal fully yet, but I’m turning the dial that way. I’ve managed to work in an extremely dangerous environment and not get Covid.

More to the point, I also feel broadcasting the differences between pre and post vaccinated me is a public service message I think will help the drive to convince others to get vaccinated, but I also know there is a selfish component to it. At this point, after this year I don’t really care though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well most of the people are healthcare workers currently, so they should know. However, once it has been two weeks since my second shot I will very much start doing things I haven’t done in nearly 11 months:

-I’m going to go back to just wearing a surgical mask outside the Covid ward instead of the N95 mask I wear now (surgical masks are what my hospital currently recommends)
-I’m going to eat lunch in my team room, potentially with other people there instead of eating alone in an empty room

-I’m going to continue to vigorously wash/sanitize my hands before eating or touching my face

There will be a 94% risk reduction in me getting Covid and a near zero chance of me getting severe Covid. It is not right nor reasonable to ask me to continue to take the severe precautions I have taken since this started. I’m not going to go back to normal fully yet, but I’m turning the dial that way. I’ve managed to work in an extremely dangerous environment and not get Covid.

More to the point, I also feel broadcasting the differences between pre and post vaccinated me is a public service message I think will help the drive to convince others to get vaccinated, but I also know there is a selfish component to it. At this point, after this year I don’t really care though.
What about you carrying it and passing it to others ?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking of stupid is as stupid does, if your faith in humanity couldn't be lower...

Since I received my first dose of the vaccine, I've gone to two of our local ski resorts. Both have closed their indoor dining facilities and bars due to COVID (and unlike European resorts, they don't have outdoor bars). Apparently, the thought of skiing without alcohol is too much to bear for some people. I've never seen so many idiots actively boozing it up on the lifts and slopes. And after a few hours, the results of the elevated BAC were apparent. I've never felt so unsafe skiing, even with the extremely low numbers that were out those days.

Yeah...I’m in the seat behind you on space mountain on this one 👍🏻

Wait...what am I saying? Neither of us are dumb enough to go on space mountain right now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You’ve fallen, Anakin...

There is no evidence that you can “do what you want” after vaccination because you can still contract and spread and give it to others. Because you have less of a chance of ending up on a ventilator...doesn’t fix the community problem.

You need to wait. No wonder Fauci is hoarse...no one is listening.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You’ve fallen, Anakin...

There is no evidence that you can “do what you want” after vaccination because you can still contract and spread and give it to others. Because you have less of a chance of ending up on a ventilator...doesn’t fix the community problem.

You need to wait. No wonder Fauci is horse...no one is listening.
Just today a paper was published regarding the potential risk of those vaccinated thinking they can let their guard down in the short term

Touchdown

What about you carrying it and passing it to others ?

I realize that we currently have no definitive proof that the vaccines do this, however, every vaccine in the history of vaccines has either severely limited or eliminated the ability to pass the disease to others, including the most virulent virus known to man (measles.)

It also makes sense if you know what your immune system does, it limits the ability of the virus to replicate inside of you, if it can’t replicate then it can’t make you sick and prevents you from spewing out large quantities of the virus in the air. Just because it isn’t studied doesn’t mean Covid is somehow special in that regard. If it is, then this virus may be the end of humanity because if it doesn’t limit spread then herd immunity won’t happen, people will continue to get sick who don’t have it and more worrisome, the virus will continue to replicate in large numbers such that it will continue to mutate and eventually become resistant to the vaccine.

God help us if thats true, but I don’t think it will be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom