Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

No, Boris idea is what Tallica and DisneyCane were suggesting. Just let everyone get infected and not close anything down. Let sports and concerts go on, get everyone infected and try to isolate the vulnerable people.

Thanks for clarifying. In fairness to him (and I'm no fan), it's the experts advising the government, rather than the government itself, that have promoted such an approach. Quite why these experts are so out of step with their counterparts elsewhere is unclear, and they are facing intense criticism within the UK, including from the medical and scientific communities.

DisneyDebRob

This is just PA (on PA dept of health website):

COVID-19 Testing in Pennsylvania*

Persons Under Investigation (PUIs)NegativePendingPositive
* Table last updated at 12:00 p.m. on 3/15/2020

Sadly we have only tested 446 people in total.

Here’s the positive cases by county (I live in Montgomery)

• Counties impacted to date include:
    • Allegheny (3)
    • Bucks (4)
    • Chester (2)
    • Cumberland (5)
    • Delaware (7)
    • Lehigh (1)
    • Luzerne (1)
    • Monroe (6)
    • Montgomery (24)
    • Northampton (1)
    • Philadelphia (6)
    • Pike (1)
    • Washington (1)
    • Wayne (1)
Bucks here

21stamps

US Navy sailor tests positive.

New Orleans shutting down restaurants.

Las Vegas resorts shutting down.

State of Bahamas has first coronavirus person.

I cancelled a Vegas girls trip a couple of days ago, not because of the virus, but because I had been ill and didn’t want to be on the plane ride to risk relapse. It was a tough decision and one that took a week to decide.. but wow, glad I did. I would have been there this morning.

LittleBuford

It's a legitimate approach and is something that I advocated but once the media and public step in it's unworkable.

Once March Madness and the NBA, NHL, MLB were cancelled we lost the opportunity to try that approach because that approach relies on carrying on as usual and not shutting down life.

It's an approach that risks hundreds of thousands of British lives. As a Brit living in the US, I'm very concerned about it.

21stamps

I think it's a shock and trauma. To have all entertainment options taken away, poof over two weeks with no end in site. People are getting in a catatonic state where they are just trying to pretend it's not happening or that they will wake up from it.

I think even kids are at this point. My son understands that all of his sports are canceled, but then he’ll say “I think we’ll be back next week. We won’t stay canceled.” Or the polar opposite when he’ll just get sad and say “Mom, do you think this spring is totally ruined? It feels like it.”

My heart breaks for kids right now. From kindergarten to seniors, especially 8th graders and seniors.. what a bad time for them.

Thelazer

I think it's a shock and trauma. To have all entertainment options taken away, poof over two weeks with no end in site. People are getting in a catatonic state where they are just trying to pretend it's not happening or that they will wake up from it.

People are DEF in denial here.
Once it's announced that this will go longer than 2 weeks, it might wake up folks.

The fact that the CP was let go, should be telling everyone what they need to know here.

LittleBuford

But that's what Tallica and DisneyKane are proposing.
And it's not without merit because the economic cost (losing job, losing house, losing saving) and psychological cost (of all sports and entertainment/social options) being taken away can lead to depression/suicide/people going postal. So you have to balance the cost of those lives and the economic cost vs vulnerable people dying.

I think you're being sarcastic, but I've read so many posts on here today that I've lost the ability to discern much of anything!

hopemax

I live in Colorado, our Department of Health just told residents and visitors to our "high country" counties that they should minimize all social contact. 30% of our cases are in those counties, and local health officials are expecting the mountain resort communites to have "extensive spread." I really would not want to be facing a respiratory virus at 8000-10000 ft elevation.

And since someone was asking for County breakdowns. Here is ours: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...G63Oa1ztz4B4r7xG_wsoC9ucd_ei3--Pz7UD50yQD/pub

MuteSuperstar

There are still plenty of entertainment options at home....more than any time in human history. I understand that this is all an unprecedented shock, but hey people work themselves to the point of exhaustion and go in big debt all to have a nice home. For those who can, it's time to spend some time enjoying that as much as possible. There's no doubt that we are heading into dark economic times though. The actions of the Fed are making that pretty clear.

Prince-1

I'm already resigned to the fact that the Tokyo Olympics, Opening of Nintendo Land and Opening of Beauty and the Beast Castle at Tokyo Disneyland will be cancelled. There's still a sliver of hope but every other big event over the last 4 weeks have been cancelled. March Madness being cancelled was a huge blow to me.

And if the COVID-19 is still raging on then all of those events should be cancelled.

21stamps

I live in Colorado, our Department of Health just told residents and visitors to our "high country" counties that they should minimize all social contact. 30% of our cases are in those counties, and local health officials are expecting the mountain resort communites to have "extensive spread." I really would not want to be facing a respiratory virus at 8000-10000 ft elevation.

And since someone was asking for County breakdowns. Here is ours: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...G63Oa1ztz4B4r7xG_wsoC9ucd_ei3--Pz7UD50yQD/pub

Thank you for posting.. but this is still like the others I’ve read. It doesn’t break down how many were tested per county.

Here’s why I think we all should have that info-

The counties with 0-5, have only 0-5 been tested? Do the counties with higher positives have more completed tests than the ones with lower?

This should be public info available to all.
Without it, the sweeping state wide mandates aren’t making sense.

hopemax

It's really interesting to observe how the public is dealing with this. They are utterly in shock and carrying on as normal denying the real possibility of any threat.

The virus does not discriminate, the outcomes of China and Italy will be similar to the USA, as we took the same or even lesser precautions.

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Pick your current state. People are people, I'm not sure why people expected anything different.

I'm actually shocked (in a good way) by how far we've come in a short period of time. But 330 million people don't exactly move in the same direction easily.

21stamps

It would be one thing if we were fumbling about and Europe had their stuff together. But Europe is in huge trouble so I think it's unfair to blame and finger point. This virus has been something nobody has ever seen before and is just really hard to tackle.

At first it was, oh cute, funny Corona virus that just effects China and Asia, interesting topic of conversation and joking, it will never make it over here. That was basically the attitude.
And now it's here and life has been cancelled.

I think it’s entirely fair for the whole world to criticize China in this situation.

EvilChameleon

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Pick your current state. People are people, I'm not sure why people expected anything different.

I'm actually shocked (in a good way) by how far we've come in a short period of time. But 330 million people don't exactly move in the same direction easily.

Is it possible to be angry, depressed, and accepting all at the same time? Because that's just about where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom