Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 97 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.21.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.21.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.21.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 4.21.16 PM.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member
From a purely selfish perspective, I wouldn't mind seeing buffets disappear from Disney restaurants. Partly because (aside from Boma, which I love) the food is generally just meh. If anyone claims to prefer scrambled eggs and soggy bacon from a buffet over scrambled eggs and bacon made to order then that person is not someone whose judgment should ever be taken seriously. The selfish reason I welcome a switch from buffet to family-style meals is that I get my own special plate of food due to my body's awful inability to process gluten. I generally don't trust the food at a buffet to not be cross-contaminated by other guests who aren't aware of what they're doing as they shovel food onto their plates, so even at Boma I limit myself to an omelet from the omelet station and some of the allergy-friendly waffles and donuts that the server brings me from the kitchen. And that's all before you consider the germs and sticky handles on serving utensils because someone ahead of you had syrup on their hands as they scooped up their food.

I personally like buffets because I am a picky eater so it gives me a change to try things without committing to whole meal of it.

DisneyDebRob

I have no issue with the masks as long as they're not mandated. Right now, even though the vast majority of Americans (likely 92%) do not have COVID, it's important to wear a mask because no one individual can be sure that they aren't asymptomatic carriers and there is no vaccine to prevent infection. When a highly effective vaccine is widely available, I will be 95% sure I don't have and can't transmit the virus - that coupled with the fact that it's highly unlikely I would have it in the first place gives me no reason to wear a mask.

It's going to be up to public and private facilities to decide what to do about mask-wearing. I'll go to the places that no longer require them, and I'm pretty sure I'll have company. If Disney decides to go above and beyond what's necessary with masks, we'll start looking into other places to vacation. Maybe we'll try Universal for the first time if their restrictions are lighter. Who knows? I do like the idea of requiring proof of vaccination - maybe they can give out wristbands.
I’m sure you will have company visiting places that don’t require them. I’m not so sure there will be enough people going to them to keep them in business if any poll I have seen over the last few months have shown. People are saying that they will buy at places that require them and not at others. Maybe that changes in 6 months when many are vaccinated but who knows.
As for Disney, I go back and forth. Have no desire to go while masks are in place but they are doing the right thing. I can see them keeping the masks for a long time until this all blows over, not just that some are getting vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m sure you will have company visiting places that don’t require them. I’m not so sure there will be enough people going to them to keep them in business if any poll I have seen over the last few months have shown. People are saying that they will buy at places that require them and not at others. Maybe that changes in 6 months when many are vaccinated but who knows.
As for Disney, I go back and forth. Have no desire to go while masks are in place but they are doing the right thing. I can see them keeping the masks for a long time until this all blows over, not just that some are getting vaccinated.
I’m thinking distancing on rides goes first, then distancing in queues, then park capacity limits, then either distancing in restaurants or masks last. Masks could also be a phased approach too where they still ask you to still wear one when entering a queue until exiting the ride, on any transport and in indoor spaces (stores, hotel lobbies, etc) but not while walking around outdoors. It’s kinda harder to enforce that, but it’s possible. I think the more people that get vaccinated the harder it’s going to be to require masks because people with the vaccine aren’t going to want to wear masks. The tipping point for Disney may be once the CMs are vaccinated. At that point they aren’t putting workers at risk and anyone without the vaccine could just wait to go or take the risk.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, I agree with what you're saying about the situation right now. Right now, when no one knows whether they could have and transmit COVID and there is no way to prevent yourself from getting infected, masks make sense.

But when a person is vaccinated and knows to the tune of 95% certainty (according to the science) that they do not have, will not transmit and will not get COVID, what is the justification for wearing a mask?

Again, I have no problem with people wearing masks if they do not want to get the vaccine or don't trust it, but that should be up to them. At the point when Walgreen's is distributing the vaccine to everyone who wants it, mask-wearing should become optional. Maybe Disney can set up vaccination stations where people who have had the vaccine can prove it and get a mask exemption wristband. Everyone else can wear masks - I don't care.

As far as what people will do when the vaccine is widely available, the fun part of predicting the future is that everyone is on equal footing. I don't see businesses that drop the mask requirement going out of business or losing customers. In fact, when Disney drops the requirement, my prediction is that they will not be able to handle the number of people waiting to get inside.

dreday3

I dont care how many people are vaccinated, I, and probably many others, are scarred for life. When this is all over I'm probably going to require my own personal bubble to watch fireworks. 😂😂😂

I know you are laughing, but I'm wondering if you are slightly serious.

I wonder if people will bounce right back to normal, or still have lingering fear.

I'm guessing normal will return pretty darn quickly (like it or not) once vaccines really get going.

As for me, the day they tell me I can stop wearing this stupid mask I'm going to run maskless and free through the streets. :D

hopemax

I dont care how many people are vaccinated, I, and probably many others, are scarred for life. When this is all over I'm probably going to require my own personal bubble to watch fireworks. 😂😂😂
I know. My thing when it comes to businesses, is that every time I see about the ways they are trying to skirt mask rules, I ask myself what other health & safety rules has your business been skirting and "if you can get away with it?" Why stop at health and safety? What rules regarding employees is your business skirting?

This was such a simple way for businesses to demonstrate that customers are more than just walking $$$. That employees are more than just ants or worker bees. Instead, we are seeing exactly how many people are totally okay with harming another person as long as it can't be traced back to them.

oceanbreeze77

I know you are laughing, but I'm wondering if you are slightly serious.

I wonder if people will bounce right back to normal, or still have lingering fear.

I'm guessing normal will return pretty darn quickly (like it or not) once vaccines really get going.

As for me, the day they tell me I can stop wearing this stupid mask I'm going to run maskless and free through the streets. :D
I'm slightly serious. Probably not that serious but I could see myself adapting certain protocols in my everyday life. I was pretty much a germaphobe when it came to surfaces pre-corona, so constant sanitizer/wipe usage isn't new to me. But IDK if you'll find me in the center of a large crowd anytime soon. Ill probably also wear my mask in dense areas with crowds for a while post pandemic.

DisneyDebRob

Yes, I agree with what you're saying about the situation right now. Right now, when no one knows whether they could have and transmit COVID and there is no way to prevent yourself from getting infected, masks make sense.

But when a person is vaccinated and knows to the tune of 95% certainty (according to the science) that they do not have, will not transmit and will not get COVID, what is the justification for wearing a mask?

Again, I have no problem with people wearing masks if they do not want to get the vaccine or don't trust it, but that should be up to them. At the point when Walgreen's is distributing the vaccine to everyone who wants it, mask-wearing should become optional. Maybe Disney can set up vaccination stations where people who have had the vaccine can prove it and get a mask exemption wristband. Everyone else can wear masks - I don't care.

As far as what people will do when the vaccine is widely available, the fun part of predicting the future is that everyone is on equal footing. I don't see businesses that drop the mask requirement going out of business or losing customers. In fact, when Disney drops the requirement, my prediction is that they will not be able to handle the number of people waiting to get inside.
I think the justification is that others have no idea whether you got the vaccine or just don’t want to wear a mask. I guess the mask at that time still is to protect others. I can see some people today, not wanting to wear them.. waiting for places to drop the mask policy and go in whether vaccinated or not. We can’t all have ID cards saying we got the shot so that’s why I think it’s going to be awhile until things change. I think businesses.. Disney included are going to be playing things safe for a very long time.
With the national polls saying maybe a little more then half the people will get vaccinated makes it tough for all of us that will get it.

oceanbreeze77

I know. My thing when it comes to businesses, is that every time I see about the ways they are trying to skirt mask rules, I ask myself what other health & safety rules has your business been skirting and "if you can get away with it?" Why stop at health and safety? What rules regarding employees is your business skirting?

This was such a simple way for businesses to demonstrate that customers are more than just walking $$$. That employees are more than just ants or worker bees. Instead, we are seeing exactly how many people are totally okay with harming another person as long as it can't be traced back to them.
EXACTLY.

I will pickup food, or items from places and sometimes the person I'm dealing with will crack a joke like "hahah its no big deal that we aren't following protocol...hahaha" and they say it like I'm in on it or cool with it and its just so annoying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the justification is that others have no idea whether you got the vaccine or just don’t want to wear a mask. I guess the mask at that time still is to protect others. I can see some people today, not wanting to wear them.. waiting for places to drop the mask policy and go in whether vaccinated or not. We can’t all have ID cards saying we got the shot so that’s why I think it’s going to be awhile until things change. I think businesses.. Disney included are going to be playing things safe for a very long time.
With the national polls saying maybe a little more then half the people will get vaccinated makes it tough for all of us that will get it.
I think once the vaccine starts rolling out if we don’t see any major issues the percent vaccinated will grow. In the last major poll that I saw which was before the Pfizer news and just prior to the election we were up to 58% firm yes. Of the 42% that said no almost half said they would get it if they had more information on safety or on effectiveness. I think that gets us to around 80% assuming the vaccine proves safe and effective. Even if that slips to around 2/3 of the population at 95% effective that should be plenty to get to herd immunity.

I think assuming the vaccines continue to be 95% effective, once the vaccine is widely available to anyone who wants it then most restrictions will be lifted everywhere. What purpose would a mask mandate serve if 2/3 of the population is vaccinated and the other third had their shot. At that point the “I’ll take my risk, it’s only the flu“ crowd can put their money where their mouth is and live with the risk if they choose not to get vaccinated. I see no reason Disney keeps any restrictions they absolutely don’t need once they get the CMs vaccinated. If you can’t prove you got sick from a worker and you had a shot at a vaccine I can’t see them being held legally liable or liable in the court of public opinion.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings announced Wednesday that it is again extending its suspension of sailing, this time through March, for most of its scheduled voyages.

The company, which had previously suspended its cruising until Dec. 31, said all of its cruises will be suspended through Feb. 28, with most voyages suspended through March 31."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom