Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I didn't say covid was alleged. I said the pandemic was alleged. The common cold can infect up towards 1 billion people per year. And what does the media primarily focus on? Positives cases, not deaths.

Remember the videos of asian people dropping dead in the streets when the virus started in China? The videos that had people panicking? The videos that had everybody thinking they would be next to drop dead while walking to the subway? Why haven't we seen that anywhere else? Why have no other countries had videos of a man or woman walking the street and collapsing from covid? Because that's not real. But it was shown over and over and over again in the beginning and people got scared. Now they CONSTANTLY talk about positive cases, not deaths and especially not survival rates. Why? Because it doesn't seem as scary to talk about survival.

People won't continually tune in for survival rates. They will however, continue to tune in for updates on how many people have died. They will continually tune in for updates on how they can prevent themselves from dying. I see masks littering the streets every day. The same people who will claim they wear the mask to prevent spreading the disease are the same people discarding their mask in the grocery store parking lot. They are selfish and only care about themselves. A majority of people wearing masks actually think the mask will prevent them from catching covid. They don't wear it because they are trying to protect others.

But yes, I know, comparing covid to the common cold is not allowed.

We are not in a pandemic. Comparisons to other infections and death rates prove it.
Yep...you’re today’s winner

MuteSuperstar

Remember the videos of asian people dropping dead in the streets when the virus started in China? The videos that had people panicking? The videos that had everybody thinking they would be next to drop dead while walking to the subway? Why haven't we seen that anywhere else? Why have no other countries had videos of a man or woman walking the street and collapsing from covid? Because that's not real.

"The people who died after contracting COVID-19 included a Garland woman in her 30s who died on a domestic flight"

No, these cases of sudden death don't seem to be so widespread here (yet), but apparently it does happen.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I'm continuing to hold out hope that many of the things closed right now (nighttime fireworks, live shows, certain stores/restaurants) will be back up and running (if at a somewhat limited/modified capacity) when we go at the end of March. I kind of like the idea of no FP+ as it existed before. Having everyone on the same level playing field when it comes to wait times is refreshing, imo, and also decreases my stress in planning. I've said before, masks are not a deal breaker for us and we will likely wear them even if they're not mandated by WDW (though I think they likely still will be).

Even if things are limited significantly (similar to now), I feel we'll likely go. This will be my othermother's first vacation without my mom (who has dementia and can no longer be cared for at home) and MoeMoe glows every time she talks about going to WDW with us. DD will be almost 17 and wrapping up her junior year of HS, so our time to enjoy family vacations together is likely growing short. DH, DS(almost 15), and DS(13) all LOVE WDW and I think will be tickled to go whenever it is and however it looks, as long as they can ride the rides and eat whatever. 😂

So maybe we spend more time than normal at the resort or at DS. We're still enjoying our vacation and making memories together and that's what is most important to me right now.

That said, if FL looks like it will be unsafe to the point we don't even feel like travelling through the airport is an acceptable risk, we'll have to figure out something else closer to home and put WDW off for another time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that isn't the case.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Remember the videos of asian people dropping dead in the streets when the virus started in China? The videos that had people panicking? The videos that had everybody thinking they would be next to drop dead while walking to the subway? Why haven't we seen that anywhere else?
You know what else we've not seen anywhere else? Families being welded into their homes. People dragged into the street and loaded into boxes in the back of pickup trucks to be taken who-knows-where. Long lines of mourners outside funeral homes that received mass deliveries of urns for deaths that weren't happening (if you believe the CCP).

What I'm getting at is this: Calling this pandemic "alleged" is insulting to those who have been effected by it, either through their work, personal illness, or the illness/death of people closest to them, in addition to all the business that will close their doors forever because of the measures governments AROUND THE WORLD took to try to contain or at least slow the spread of this virus. Additionally, comparing what happened in China then to what is happening in the US and other parts of the world now is not a valid apples to apples comparison.

Early in this we had wildly inaccurate information about how the virus spread (some maybe even intentionally misleading) and no idea how to handle this novel virus. Oh, and remember when the CCP insisted there was no person to person transmission, but Taiwan tried to warn the WHO there was reason to believe it was happening, but they were summarily dismissed because the CCP told them it wasn't happening? Over time and as the virus made it's way to other countries, we started to learn more about how it spreads, behaves, effects those infected, ways to slow transmission, and ultimately treatments that showed some measure of success.

Jrb1979

This. As a solo traveler, I love(d) park hopping. Spend the morning and early afternoon in one park, then hop over to another in the evening. Occasionally I even left the second and went to a third to see the nighttime fireworks or show. If I have a six day trip, the reservation system would limit me to only one day at two of the parks. If a ride is broken down that day, I wouldn’t get to experience it that trip at all. Not to mention what countless others have written here about going to another park just for a restaurant.
I'm sure park hopping will return even if the park reservation system stays. It would be easy to implement. Once you are in your first park you go onto MDE and pick the park you want to hop to. It really isn't such a bad thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s not bad. But it’s more steps added to a formerly care free vacation.

Long ago, kimo sabe
Thats because DL is a locals park. We just pop in for an afternoon or a morning stroll. The vacationers get the whole day (and fastpasses).

Frankly...it’s because wdw travelers can’t say no...so they go along with everything including micromanagement for upsell

lazyboy97o

Thats because DL is a locals park. We just pop in for an afternoon or a morning stroll. The vacationers get the whole day (and fastpasses).
It’s because Disneyland has more hourly capacity. It hasn’t been at the forefront of minimizing attractions per guest per hour for decades. The long waits we are starting to see at Walt Disney World are the result of deliberately suppressing capacity with shell games, namely FastPass but also the many other reservations and up charges . The parks look crowded even with a reduced cap because for years now they have been designed to create crowding.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s because Disneyland has more hourly capacity. It hasn’t been at the forefront of minimizing attractions per guest per hour for decades. The long waits we are starting to see at Walt Disney World are the result of deliberately suppressing capacity with shell games, namely FastPass but also the many other reservations and up charges . The parks look crowded even with a reduced cap because for years now they have been designed to create crowding.
...indeed

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm sure park hopping will return even if the park reservation system stays. It would be easy to implement. Once you are in your first park you go onto MDE and pick the park you want to hop to. It really isn't such a bad thing.
Park hopping is an upcharge millions of guests opt for, I don’t think there‘s any way Disney is going to permanently eliminate something that makes hundreds of millions a year that costs them nothing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1603087078252.png

1603087102075.png

1603087136757.png

BrianLo

Every time we get one of those "It's no worse than the flu!" posts, it might help to review the yearly flu numbers from the CDC:

Even in the worst year recently, we only hit about 60K deaths for the flu. We've already hit almost 4 times that number for COVID this year, not to mention all the "long COVID" (as the after effects are being called), cases. We're still gathering the numbers on these, but the preliminary estimates aren't pretty.

Finally... the common cold kills virtually nobody, so don't even go down that path.

PS- Yes, I would too would like FS+ to be restricted to resort guests.

Just to blow things out even more (which I know you know), 'Influenza' is not even a single entity.

Mortality is spread between at least two, if not three totally different circulating strains. H1N1, H3N2 and Influenza B.

COVID-19 is just one entity being tracked and doesn't include other strains of Coronavirus in its' tally.

The other part no one mentions from your link is that the 60k death year is based on approximately 45million cases of influenza. COVID meanwhile has 220k with only 8million cases. The Pandemic, despite the chatter, is still being kept much more at bay by large scale health protocols. I do think the 1 million deaths without current spread prevention strategies would be a reality in the US.

LittleBuford

Just to blow things out even more (which I know you know), 'Influenza' is not even a single entity.

Mortality is spread between at least two, if not three totally different circulating strains. H1N1, H3N2 and Influenza B.

COVID-19 is just one entity being tracked and doesn't include other strains of Coronavirus in its' tally.
The comparison becomes still more problematic when one bears in mind that we’re dealing with reported deaths in the case of Covid and estimates in the case of the flu:

BrianLo

The comparison becomes still more problematic when one bears in mind that we’re dealing with reported deaths in the case of Covid and estimates in the case of the flu:

I agree. Anyways I am happy the worst case doomsday scenario is not being played out. Sometimes we focus on everything being done wrong, but there is a lot being done right. The Pandemic could be a whole lot worse.

LittleBuford

I agree. Anyways I am happy the worst case doomsday scenario is not being played out. Sometimes we focus on everything being done wrong, but there is a lot being done right. The Pandemic could be a whole lot worse.
Alas, as an expat Brit watching events back home with horror, I don’t have the same optimistic outlook. The pandemic could (and should) have been confronted much more effectively than it has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom