Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They still don't know with certainty exactly how the flu is spread. The only way to really get that kind of specific info would be to somehow get healthy volunteers to be put into various environments with infected people and do a big study to figure out what it takes to actually transmit it.

Since nobody is going to volunteer for that, all they can really do is use hindsight studies to try and figure out how somebody was infected and what type of contact they were in with the person they likely got it from.

The six feet thing comes from historical best practices for airborne disease transmission. I was watching a Netflix documentary about the Challenger accident and while the astronauts were in the pre-mission quarantine, Christa McAuliffe was on a bicycle and told whoever was filming her to stay six feet away because she is in quarantine.

I watched that documentary last week. :)

DisneyCane

We visit often so our park touring style isn't too heavily based on ride count. Strolling to Epcot for a few hours to get some food and adult beverages is a great way to end our day.

The walk from Boardwalk to HS is appx 15-20 minutes (and feels much shorter with a cold beer in hand for the journey😁), so we often head there in the evenings for dinner reservations or just to ride ToT and do some shopping.

We're in the same boat. We like to use Epcot for dining/relaxation and maybe hop on a ride or two. A lot of times we would have FP+ at MK in the afternoon of our arrival day and drove up early for breakfast inside the land.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That is my thinking as well. If you were assuming risk by eating indoors anyway, this really doesn't change that risk tolerance. I have started eating indoors because well, its typically empty and the patios are typically full, so yes I am taking on a certain level of risk but at a certain point I don't think patios are much safer when packed in.
It doesn’t change the risk level. All it does is formalize what most people already knew was likely the case. Eating indoor at a restaurant is higher risk than eating outdoor on its face. Eating indoor in a mostly empty restaurant is most likely less risky than eating outdoor on a packed patio. The details impact the level of risk. If you have the same number of people and the tables spaced the same distance indoor will almost always be more risky than outdoor.

carolina_yankee

for some of us who have been paying attention we will ask the question, "is water wet?"

But for others here is your confirmation ( I have added 2 sources for the "hAhAhA cNn" crowd)

I have trouble understanding how this is news? Hasn't this been the assumption/knowlege for quite some time?

Our diocesan epidemiologists have told churches in our diocese that unmasked readers must be 20 feet away, unmasked singers 30 feet away (unless behind plexiglass), and masked people six feet away.

Our musicians' professional societies have been operating on that understanding for some time and have even developed masks specifically for singers. If people have been following guidance, this news doesn't provoke a change in anything.

Everything consistently seems to come down "mask, distance, wash hands, ventilate well." If we can do that, we can do most things.

Last edited:

carolina_yankee

Less tests reported the last two days, yet the positivity rate remains below 5% anyways. Interesting.

Assuming some sort of pattern to daily fluctuations, I've been comparing to numbers a week ago. 9/13 had more positives, but lower positivity and more testing. 9/20 has slightly lower positives, higher positivity and less testing. That tells me there is more COVID out there on 9/20 than on 9/13, it just didn't get caught.

Mondays also seem to be consistently low report days. By the end of last week, it was clear that weekly positives were up.

sullyinMT

It doesn’t change the risk level. All it does is formalize what most people already knew was likely the case. Eating indoor at a restaurant is higher risk than eating outdoor on its face. Eating indoor in a mostly empty restaurant is most likely less risky than eating outdoor on a packed patio. The details impact the level of risk. If you have the same number of people and the tables spaced the same distance indoor will almost always be more risky than outdoor.
Honest question here regarding dining, as it could change how people feel about the risk of places like Tony’s, Plaza Restaurant or the backside (dining room away from the bar) of Rose&Crown (and I’m sure a few others):

Most of us are familiar with establishments that are indoors in that there are walls and a ceiling. But then the space is adaptable to an al fresco-ish situation with garage door style partitions or massive windows so that diners get more fresh air than a traditional dining room, while still being largely protected from the elements. Is this an “in between” solution, or solidly indoors or out?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Assuming some sort of pattern to daily fluctuations, I've been comparing to numbers a week ago. 9/13 had more positives, but lower positivity and more testing. 9/20 has slightly lower positives, higher positivity and less testing. That tells me there is more COVID out there on 9/20 than on 9/13, it just didn't get caught.

Mondays also seem to be consistently low report days. By the end of last week, it was clear that weekly positives were up.
There’s definitely a weekend dip every week now. I guess that’s a good sign that the speed of getting test results back has gotten better. For a while there with such long delays the weekend dip was basically gone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Honest question here regarding dining, as it could change how people feel about the risk of places like Tony’s, Plaza Restaurant or the backside (dining room away from the bar) of Rose&Crown (and I’m sure a few others):

Most of us are familiar with establishments that are indoors in that there are walls and a ceiling. But then the space is adaptable to an al fresco-ish situation with garage door style partitions or massive windows so that diners get more fresh air than a traditional dining room, while still being largely protected from the elements. Is this an “in between” solution, or solidly indoors or out?
I’m no expert, but logic tells me the more freely circulating the air the better. So if you are outside fresh air is moving in constantly. An indoor location with really good airflow is better than one that‘s closed off. The worst scenario is an indoor location with AC or heat that recirculates the same air.

hopemax

I’m not sure how this updated guidance changes anything for the average person.
According to EpiTwitter, where it might change things is for places like schools and offices, where decision makers have taken the stance to follow CDC guidelines, but to the letter. Their way of handling the two sides calling for their heads for doing too much/not enough. So things like who is a "close contact" in a classroom. Common sense would say anyone in the room for would qualify, but I posted earlier about the school board that considered moving kids every 14 minutes so no kid could be defined as a close contact. Apparently, they weren't the only place that was going to go with that sort of definition. Or places that didn't feel the need to include open windows / proper ventilation. One comment I saw is that too many are using the CDC guidelines, like 6', to determine their stopping points and not a starting point. My additional thought, places need to evaluate their environment and respond accordingly. But we know how those things go.

And now I see the update.

sullyinMT

I’m no expert, but logic tells me the more freely circulating the air the better. So if you are outside fresh air is moving in constantly. An indoor location with really good airflow is better than one that‘s closed off. The worst scenario is an indoor location with AC or heat that recirculates the same air.
I was thinking the same thing, which is also why airlines have made such a big deal about their cabin refresh rates, or whatever the industry term is.

sullyinMT

I'm not sure much will change from this "draft" (hopefully not) because this new information was officially first reported from the CDC yesterday afternoon.
I’m sure we’ll see an update soon, but I’d imagine some disclosure regarding unknown viral load that could lead to infection, or language reinforcing mask compliance. The things that have already been discussed here.
Or some other spin that will cause collective heads to explode 🤯 and keep us guessing.

oceanbreeze77

It is a big deal that the CDC is stating this because for so long we have heard "Well we are going by CDC guidelines." "Lets see what the CDC says" "The CDC actually says this so we are following the rules."

It doesnt matter what everyone assumed, companies, people, and workplaces have been operating based on CDC guidelines.Like someone mentioned on this forum, many have been operating as if it were not an airborne disease, because the CDC never said it was. I think the CDC making it official changes the game a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom