Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Aiborne" has a specific meaning beyond that it merely floats in the air. It means a pathogen can spread independent of hitching a ride on large respiratory secretions.

The term has more meaning for infection control procedures in hospitals than it does for the general population.

Indeed...

DisneyCane

There’s definitely a weekend dip every week now. I guess that’s a good sign that the speed of getting test results back has gotten better. For a while there with such long delays the weekend dip was basically gone.
I don't know about many testing centers but there's one in western palm beach county (can't remember exactly where but south of northlake blvd) that I drove by a while back. It's a county run center and it was closed sat-mon or something like that. I just remember it was closed on the weekend and only open 4 days a week.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't know about many testing centers but there's one in western palm beach county (can't remember exactly where but south of northlake blvd) that I drove by a while back. It's a county run center and it was closed sat-mon or something like that. I just remember it was closed on the weekend and only open 4 days a week.
I know by me they closed the larger drive-thru locations on the weekends at first. They are now completely closed. I think there’s a combination of lack of demand and cost cutting that factors in. If you have symptoms or direct contact with someone sick you can always go to an urgent care or hospital for a test on the weekend if you don’t want to wait.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"If these restrictions fail to bring the R number below one - the point where the epidemic is no longer growing - "then we reserve the right to deploy greater fire power with significantly greater restrictions" he said.

Mr Johnson said: "We will spare no effort in developing vaccines, treatments, new forms of mass-testing but unless we palpably make progress we should assume that the restrictions that I have announced will remain in place for perhaps six months."

Under the new measures:
  • Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence
  • From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue
  • Hospitality venues must close at 22:00 - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders"
  • Office workers are being told to work from home if possible
  • The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from October 1
  • Face coverings must be worn by shop staff, taxi drivers and passengers
  • Customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks, except when seated at a table to eat or drink
  • Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end."
"Mr Johnson said this was "by no means a return to the full lockdown of March", with no general instructions to stay at home. Businesses, schools, colleges and universities will remain open."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"If these restrictions fail to bring the R number below one - the point where the epidemic is no longer growing - "then we reserve the right to deploy greater fire power with significantly greater restrictions" he said.

Mr Johnson said: "We will spare no effort in developing vaccines, treatments, new forms of mass-testing but unless we palpably make progress we should assume that the restrictions that I have announced will remain in place for perhaps six months."

Under the new measures:
  • Penalties for not wearing a mask or gathering in groups of more than six will increase to £200 on the first offence
  • From Thursday, all pubs, bars and restaurants will be restricted to table service only. Takeaways can continue
  • Hospitality venues must close at 22:00 - which means shutting then, not calling for last orders"
  • The planned return of spectators to sports venues will now not go ahead from October 1
  • Customers in indoor hospitality venues will also have to wear masks, except when seated at a table to eat or drink
  • Exemptions to the "rule of six" will be cut back, meaning indoor team sports such as five-a-side football matches will end."
"Mr Johnson said this was "by no means a return to the full lockdown of March", with no general instructions to stay at home. Businesses, schools, colleges and universities will remain open."

Seems like a reasonable response by the government there.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1600785236181.png

1600785263434.png

sullyinMT

Under the new measures:

It all seems reasonable. Mask penalties seem harsh, but some people can’t figure out that a chin strap isn’t an effective prevention, and Americans respond to money.
The shop owner/staff thing kills me. Target employees in face shields only, and convenience store staff just not wearing anything on their face at all. Really some of these businesses should be fined for non compliance.
Don’t know how’s the sports leagues across the pond have fared, but after baseball’s initial learning curve, our teams have figured it out enough to operate safely (and earned Disney some money and time to learn, as well). Don’t see them closing down again here.
Disney continues to be a standard bearer in this regard, imo. And they deserve the credit they’ve been given for following their own rules and guidelines. And hopefully other companies can learn from them and their industry partners that have been successful in the short term.

Heppenheimer

It all seems reasonable. Mask penalties seem harsh, but some people can’t figure out that a chin strap isn’t an effective prevention, and American respond to money.
The shop owner/staff thing kills me. Target employees in face shields only, and convenience store stage just not wearing anything on their face at all. Really some of these businesses should be fined for non compliance.
Don’t know how’s the sports leagues across the pond have fared, but after baseball’s initial learning curve, our teams have figured it out enough to operate safely (and earned Disney some money and time to learn, as well). Don’t see them closing down again here.
Disney continues to be a standard bearer in this regard, imo. And they deserve the credit they’ve been given for following their own rules and guidelines. And hopefully other companies can learn from them and their industry partners that have been successful in the short term.
The delayed Tour de France that just finished tested all their riders twice throughout the 21 day race, and not a single participant tested positive, although the race director and a few team staff members did. So, it seems they mostly managed it.

Although the crowds were much lower than in the past (including the finale in Paris, which was almost empty), what spectators did show up didn't always appear to be following proper social distancing or mask wearing protocols. I don't know nearly enough French to read the news reports on if the Tour was suspected of leading to any localized outbreaks among spectators.

The upcoming Vuelta a Espana will be another trial for COVID-19 control, but at least this race usually doesn't attract the huge crowds drawn to the Tour de France, and holding it in the autumn will likely help limit crowd numbers even further.

GimpYancIent

It all seems reasonable. Mask penalties seem harsh, but some people can’t figure out that a chin strap isn’t an effective prevention, and American respond to money.
The shop owner/staff thing kills me. Target employees in face shields only, and convenience store stage just not wearing anything on their face at all. Really some of these businesses should be fined for non compliance.
Ahh! Now it surfaces. Under the guise of public health and safety it is actually about creating another revenue stream. Oh yea lets make the rules as difficult / confusing to follow as possible so more people find it hard to comply thus make more $ on fines. Yes Disney is doing it right consistent, polite, civil enforcement and simple education.

sullyinMT

Ahh! Now it surfaces. Under the guise of public health and safety it is actually about creating another revenue stream. Oh yea lets make the rules as difficult / confusing to follow as possible so more people find it hard to comply thus make more $ on fines. Yes Disney is doing it right consistent, polite, civil enforcement and simple education.
It’s not about a revenue stream, or control. Same as speeding tickets, people generally respond to $$$. It’s about getting people to actually respond and wear the thing correctly. It’s already pulling on your ears. Why not have it pull on your ears AND protect you?

The temporary revenue stream could be used to pay contact tracers, train them, and improve testing outreach to the areas that still need it. There are plenty of those areas still left in this country. The sooner we get out of this nationally, the sooner life can go back to “normal.”

ETA: Folks Comply at Disney for the same reason, to be honest. They have spent a lot of money to be there, and don’t want to be kicked out. Occasionally, they need a reminder to put it back on after taking a drink or whatever. But, they generally want to do the right thing, for whatever the reason.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not sure what’s allowed and what isn’t anymore. We literally spent pages and pages criticizing the government in FL for not doing enough or acting fast enough so I’m not sure how criticizing the federal response would be any different, but I get that people get so sensitive over just about anything these days so if the mods see this as violating the rules then I would support deleting the posts.

I was making the simple point that I thought the plan laid out by the U.K. government in reaction to their recent surge seemed reasonable and I wish the US had a similar response both in the past and now going forward. I know that nothing will actually change here...that’s part of the problem...again IMHO.
In the general sense, politics involves the regulation of our relationships so we can live together in a society. In my opinion, addressing that type of regulation is almost unavoidable in discussions about this virus. I see a real difference between generally discussing government action/inaction with respect to the virus and discussing partisan politics, political parties and/or specific politicians. It’s the latter that tends to get heated, and that’s best left to the politics forum. I do agree it’s a fine line, though, and you can never tell what will set someone off.

oceanbreeze77

I see a lot of this morning's conversation was removed. I just dont see how that is politics. If someone had pointed out "so and so failed and so and so blah blah blah," that's one thing. This is a thread about coronavirus, and the federal government plays a huge role in that, talking about what has been done/ what could have been done is NOT politics.

mmascari

Without sounding too political, I think (hope) the CDC is starting to realize the politicalization is not helping their credit. Ive noticed a pattern of reality coming out directly from the CDC over the last few weeks (Vaccine info, masks, and now this) a major shift in tone from what we have been witnessing over the last few months.
I don't think the "CDC" as whole is recognizing anything. Federal agencies in general are headed by a political appointee but run by career employees. There's always a push and pull between the two. There have been norms around how differences between the two have been handled in the past. There's even some laws designed to protect career employees from the whims of the political appointees. I think what we're seeing is a change in this balance with things that are only norms no longer holding any power.

We're seeing this fight play out in public.

This has to be a horrible experience for the career employees as they find everything they produce reviewed and scrutinized to see if it matches a political message.

As this plays out, no matter the specific message, that everyone consuming it is trying to figure out if it's a political message or science based is a problem. It will damage the CDC for years.
Outdoor dining in several weeks in NJ would probably require breaking out the winter wear so one doesn't freeze while eating.
Heaters. Lots and lots of heaters. Although, I heard they're in short supply lately as demand has spiked and supply is down.

I think I read someplace that NYC buildings in general have an over abundance of heat. That you can practically leave the windows open all winter and still be hot. A feature that should come in handy this winter.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I see a lot of this morning's conversation was removed. I just dont see how that is politics. If someone had pointed out "so and so failed and so and so blah blah blah," that's one thing. This is a thread about coronavirus, and the federal government plays a huge role in that, talking about what has been done/ what could have been done is NOT politics.

As soon as masks were made a political issue, we'd be blind to deny that it's a BIG part of the discussion. Maybe even a central part. No matter who was in office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom