Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

I will be upset if they don't use the same 2 week schedule going forward until they reopen. Please don't complain about something that hasn't happened. You have friends here who want all oir wonderful cast members taken care of.

Let me ask you a question. If this went on for 2 months and your husband was paid all that time would you be happy with Disney? Do you think your husband would be more likely to stay with Disney? Of course I know the answer and that is why it is in Disney's interest and the stockholders to take care of you and your family. That is what Capitalism is all about. The only way to make money in the long run is to have happy customers and employees.
I’m not being snarky- I genuinely don’t understand your first paragraph/question.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney says they're going to pay their employees during this, yet some people still attack them. It's incredible.

Because some people are smart enough to realize the details matter... not just feel good headlines.

They aren't being attacked -- people are pointing out that the statement doesn't necessarily mean 'whole' or 'as if this wasn't happening'. It can mean people are paid far far less than they normally function with.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A friend who is a server in the parks told me her base is $5.70 and she will get that, and relies HEAVILY on tips.

I think that's slightly less than typical non-tipped WDW CMs given I worked for the mouse back in 1998 and was making $6.35 non-tipped base pay. ;)

If that's true, her paycheck normally assumes a tip credit to bring her up to minimium wage at the least. Disney will have to pay that tip credit out because they aren't getting at least in tips. So they'll get minimum wage at least... but if only that... I presume that's way below their average.

disneygeek90

If that's true, her paycheck normally assumes a tip credit to bring her up to minimium wage at the least. Disney will have to pay that tip credit out because they aren't getting at least in tips. So they'll get minimum wage at least... but if only that... I presume that's way below their average.
Yes, that’s correct. Clearly some people here have never worked at a restaurant. Servers who open a restaurant and clock in before open times are paid minimum wage. After open, it drops to whatever the server rate is. Disney would be at a minimum paying that “non working” rate. Admittedly it will be well below their normal tip outs, but it’s better than a couple dollars an hour.

Last edited:

MAGICFLOP

I see both sides of it, WDW has succumb to the Corona hysteria.. Like all pandemics, it should be treated seriously, but they did not make the same move during H1N1 in 2009 when 60k people died. In the current panic, if they don't close and WDW becomes 'typhoid Mary's' lagoon, wdw would take a huge publicity hit for being greedy. The decision they made will just be a lost money and only anger those who had plans for the next 2 weeks..

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've warned my boys that there will be manual labor (per Mrs. Doubtfire) and/or "quarantine" in their rooms if they complain of being bored or drive each other nuts.
I set the bar way lower. I told my boys (12 and 10) that they still have to shower every day and at a minimum they need to get dressed in the morning. No 2 weeks spent in their underwear playing video games. Now that my office is closed too and I’m working remotely I may have to relax at least the underwear rule;)

smooch

You’re still healthy and alive. We’ll get through this and be able to tell our grandkids about the pandemic of 2020. The market will rebound eventually along with the economy. Everything will be OK.

Yes it's true I'm healthy and my classes moving online isn't the end of the world and is just an inconvenience. My dad is a financial adviser and I work in the office with him so all the stock market news has been very stressful and yes it will rebound eventually along with everything else but that doesn't mean this can't still be a stressful time. I get that I could be in a much much much worse situation, that this is nothing more than a small inconvenience for me at the moment, but I am also a diabetic and while my immune system isn't necessarily compromised because I have good blood sugar control, I am still more at risk for these types of things. I wash my hands and am smart out in public to reduce exposure, but it's still scary for me. Even if it just is like a mild flu for people my age a flu can cause serious problems with my diabetes making my sugars go out of control and hard to maintain which can cause short term and long term consequences.

I agree I sounded like I was complaining about very minor inconveniences and it's true people are dying and countries are being shut down but I still think it should be fine for people to express how they feel about the whole situation. Every single person in the world is being affected by this, everyone has their opinion on the situation, I should be able to express mine without being told that I shouldn't complain because I'm alive and healthy and the economic repercussions will go away over time because these are very stressful times due to all the hysteria that has come with the coronavirus.

ImperfectPixie

I set the bar way lower. I told my boys (12 and 10) that they still have to shower every day and at a minimum they need to get dressed in the morning. No 2 weeks spent in their underwear playing video games. Now that my office is closed too and I’m working remotely I may have to relax at least the underwear rule;)
OMG...the underwear thing...thank God it's not just my boys that are like that!!! (14 and 9...and I've been nagging the older one super hard because holy hell he's getting too old to walk around in just briefs!)

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Your point makes ZERO sense - - - - - Those issues you bring up are not CONTAGIOUS - - - at all !!!
This virus is !!!!!!!!!
So as long as people are giving diseases to themselves then it's all good? It's just they don't want OTHER people giving them diseases. Got it. LOL! The point is that there are WAY more serious diseases and health conditions that are SELF INFLICTED and KILL WAAAAAY more people than this "crisis" is doing. It's the common cold for the vast majority of people that catch it. People are overreacting to something they have a 99.5% chance of surviving and it's pretty clear to me why you being a drama queen about this when you tell someone to "google something" to find out about it. LOL! I just told you that I talked to an actual pharmacist and not some idiot on the internet that told me it was totally getting blown out of proportion. I just hope all the smokers and drinkers and morbidly obese people will realize they are at much greater risk of dying by what they smoke, drink, or eat than they are of dying by this totally blown out of proportion case of the common cold. Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson, and Rudy Gober are fine, btw, so we can all rest easy knowing that. LOL!

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

False. I know someone very close to me who has tested positive for COVID-19.

False. The public needed a push to act appropriately as too many had the same laissez faire attitude and this virus spreads like wildfire. Yes, some folk are going over the top, others are taking advantage of the situation, but there wasn't much else that could be done to get attention.

Keep living your lies, just don't let them impact the lives of others.
Calm down. You have a 99.5% chance of surviving and so does everyone else that has this new boogeyman virus. Just like how ebola, ecoli, West Nile, H1N1, SARS, Swine Flu, and every other supposed "catastrophe" went away so will this one. I've got way more important things to worry about like actual deadly diseases like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, COPD, liver disease, and other things that people seem to have no fear of. It's weird how people are so dismissive of those but think this common cold virus is gonna kill millions. Apparently, old Lysol bottles claimed to kill the corona virus. Once John Stossel done a sorta "man on the street" segment where he went and told people there was this thing with a really technical name that was killing thousands every year and he had a petition demanding the ban of it but needed signatures. People would of course sign it and then he would say "you just signed to ban water". This is no different. Suddenly, everyone on social media is a "medical expert" since they can "google" things. I'll just live over here in reality where we have a 99.5% chance of survival and take my chances handling literally HUNDREDS of boxes DAILY from ALL OVER THE WORLD on my job. Maybe you'll get lucky though and I'll be one of the 0.5% that actually dies from it.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, I guess there is no reason they cant get ahead on some maintenance. Let's see fresh paint, all rides working well, yes even the yeti and maybe some stuff in development gets finished ahead of schedule. I am half kidding...but hey fresh paint at least?
Would be nice to see Imagination get it's problems fixed...But,I ain't holding my breath.

JohnD

I think the ones who may be in real trouble are part timers. I think they are likely to get zero beyond the week ahead that they are scheduled for.

True. But part time is hours worked. It’s not a salary. So salaried CMs get leave with pay. Part time get paid for when actually working. I suppose they could get paid on when they were expected to work. That isn’t the norm. But I guess unlikely.

durangojim

Yes it's true I'm healthy and my classes moving online isn't the end of the world and is just an inconvenience. My dad is a financial adviser and I work in the office with him so all the stock market news has been very stressful and yes it will rebound eventually along with everything else but that doesn't mean this can't still be a stressful time. I get that I could be in a much much much worse situation, that this is nothing more than a small inconvenience for me at the moment, but I am also a diabetic and while my immune system isn't necessarily compromised because I have good blood sugar control, I am still more at risk for these types of things. I wash my hands and am smart out in public to reduce exposure, but it's still scary for me. Even if it just is like a mild flu for people my age a flu can cause serious problems with my diabetes making my sugars go out of control and hard to maintain which can cause short term and long term consequences.

I agree I sounded like I was complaining about very minor inconveniences and it's true people are dying and countries are being shut down but I still think it should be fine for people to express how they feel about the whole situation. Every single person in the world is being affected by this, everyone has their opinion on the situation, I should be able to express mine without being told that I shouldn't complain because I'm alive and healthy and the economic repercussions will go away over time because these are very stressful times due to all the hysteria that has come with the coronavirus.
I don’t think I told you not to complain. I was just trying to let you know that you’re young and it’ll be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom