Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lora Baines Bradley

Yeah, they have been under the 10% for a few weeks now, but the case numbers have to go below 2,100 and stay there. It’s a weekly average so they need to maintain the level each week or go right back on the list. Maybe there‘s just a blip from colleges and schools going back and the trend will go down again in a few weeks.
I go to UCF and the level of cases seems to be alright so far. Like, ideally there wouldn't be any, but I don't think there has been any meaningful spread on campus. I'm hoping for the best. All of my classes are remote this fall, which sucks because it's my first semester at a university, but I totally get it.

Maybe second guessing majoring in Hospitality Management though, lol.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Thank you for replying! This is really interesting, unfortunately I wish it didn't have real-world effects.

Do you think we're heading to lower cases in FL? Personally I hope so, but doubt it, especially with back to school and the fact that a lot of the population is elderly and more susceptible. I also don't think we need to be focusing on a vaccine as much as effective treatment- if we can negate the havoc COVID wreaks on the body, some of the power it has over us is diminished. I read an article the other day about how certain steroids are helping greatly in fighting COVID, which is fantastic news. Of course a vaccine is incredibly important, but so is figuring out how to fight it. If we reduce how much threat this has over us, maybe things can start to go back to a semblance of normal.
I think the cases will continue to drop if people continue to follow proper safety protocols. Once the majority of people realized that denial wasn’t going to work and got with the program this summer the cases started down. I don’t think they go to zero but we don’t need zero to accomplish opening the vast majority of our economy. With more testing and better tracing and following mask and distancing I think it’s possible to get to a much better place than we are today. I fear that politics has stalled the process and too many people are fighting against the common good for political reasons. It’s sad to see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I go to UCF and the level of cases seems to be alright so far. Like, ideally there wouldn't be any, but I don't think there has been any meaningful spread on campus. I'm hoping for the best. All of my classes are remote this fall, which sucks because it's my first semester at a university, but I totally get it.

Orange County looks pretty good right now. If it was independent from FL it would be off the travel restriction list. Unfortunately most states judge it at a state level. I think Vermont and maybe a few others actually do it by county which is a better approach but that’s harder to administer.

Don‘t give up on hospitality management yet. It may take a little while but once we get out of this mess there are going to be a lot of people eager to take a nice vacation or 3. I know I’m one of them ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Funny, they've only reported 11 positive tests among all student athletes since June (through August 28).

The doctor, though located at Penn State, is speaking about all the cases of the conference, not just his school.

The fact that this type of information was presented publicly without any type of documented proof (or context) is irresponsible. Gotta feed the people what they want though.

He gave an interview. It was partly why two conferences cancelled/delayed their games this Fall. It was releasing established data which the schools already know. In the article, there is a link to ESPN's article on the same subject. This isn't a surprise.

And it isn't a conspiracy to "feed the people what they want."

Edit: If you watch the doctor's comments, he also states that many cardiologists have essentially said the finding is incidental and may not warrant any further investigation or concern. The doctor himself doesn't seem concerned.

Do you have a link to a video? The Tweet quoted was to a written article in which the doctor is expressing concern, not the lack thereof.

Lora Baines Bradley

I think the cases will continue to drop if people continue to follow proper safety protocols. Once the majority of people realized that denial wasn’t going to work and got with the program this summer the cases started down. I don’t think they go to zero but we don’t need zero to accomplish opening the vast majority of our economy. With more testing and better tracing and following mask and distancing I think it’s possible to get to a much better place than we are today. I fear that politics has stalled the process and too many people are fighting against the common good for political reasons. It’s sad to see.
It is really sad to see, I agree. Masks have become so politicized, when they're a fact of life in many countries. I personally have asthma and I went to springs the other night. Yeah, it had just rained and so it was humid as all get out, and it got difficult for me to breathe with the mask on. But you don't see me complaining about having to wear a mask, because guess what? That's a term in our social contract right now.
Orange County looks pretty good right now. If it was independent from FL it would be off the travel restriction list. Unfortunately most states judge it at a state level. I think Vermont and maybe a few others actually do it by county which is a better approach but that’s harder to administer.

Don‘t give up on hospitality management yet. It may take a little while but once we get out of this mess there are going to be a lot of people eager to take a nice vacation or 3. I know I’m one of them ;)
I have seen more compliance than non-compliance around here, thankfully. Though some people don't seem to understand social distancing, but at least they're wearing a mask over their nose.

My professors seem optimistic that the hospitality industry will bounce back. I mean, it always has, and there will always be a hospitality market, so I do remain hopeful. I don't graduate for a year or two, so hopefully that means I'll be graduating right as the market starts to really get going again.

jmp85

I don’t know all of the details, but the Tweet posted here had a quote from the director of athletic medicine at PSU who said 30-35% of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for Covid appeared to have myocarditis. Are you saying that’s a false statement? I have no way of knowing one way or the other but I’d be interested to know if it’s not true. Is their some kind of documented proof out there that it’s false?

I don't have a problem with the Dr answering the question, I have a problem with the fact that his statement has been used as an eye catching headline that's floating around with no additional context on the how they defined and set a baseline for positive cases or any complications resulting from the myocarditis. It's mean to create hype and it's lazy. Look at the responses in this thread. The outrage.... with really no context or proof being provided to them. If it's such a big deal, why is PSU letting their football team practice today? Here's a link to the actual conversation.

jmp85

He gave an interview. It was partly why two conferences cancelled/delayed their games this Fall. It was releasing established data which the schools already know. In the article, there is a link to ESPN's article on the same subject. This isn't a surprise.

And it isn't a conspiracy to "feed the people what they want."

Do you have a link to a video? The Tweet quoted was to a written article in which the doctor is expressing concern, not the lack thereof.

Look at this board. Half the people cling to garbage like the 6% comorbidity statement and the other half look for reasons to claim the world is ending. Publishing headlines/articles without providing context feeds into this mentality.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Look at this board. Half the people cling to garbage like the 6% comorbidity statement and the other half look for reasons to claim the world is ending.

Pinocchio will turn into an *** once he's done smoking that stogie. But hey, choices.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't have a problem with the Dr answering the question, I have a problem with the fact that his statement has been used as an eye catching headline that's floating around with no additional context on the how they defined and set a baseline for positive cases or any complications resulting from the myocarditis. It's mean to create hype and it's lazy. Look at the responses in this thread. The outrage.... with really no context or proof being provided to them. If it's such a big deal, why is PSU letting their football team practice today? Here's a link to the actual conversation.

It was a Tweet. That’s what our world has come to now. The laziness is coming from the masses who would rather get their news from 280 character snippets vs reading an actual newspaper. The actual comment came during a much longer discussion but nobody has time for those details. As far as outrage,I didn’t think it was really all that pronounced outside of your strong objection to the Tweet. Most people who were following the Big Ten story around canceling fall Sports already knew that the uncertainty around the impact of Covid on the hearts of athletes factored into their decision. That info came out back when they made the call. The fact of the matter is we just don’t know enough right now to say if the risk is remote or more likely.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"During the Port of Galveston’s September 1, 2020 Board of Trustees of the Galveston Wharves meeting, Rodger Rees, Port Director/CEO shared details from his recent discussions with Disney Cruise Line as it relates to the port’s involvement with cruise operations, specifically embarkation and disembarkations."

"According to Rees, Disney Cruise Line is targeting a 70% occupancy level when the Disney Wonder returns to service at the Port of Galveson, hopefully before the end of this year. Although November sailings are un-bookable, the Disney Wonder is slated to sail a 7-Night Bahamian Cruise from Galveston on November 20th barring any additional cruise cancellations.

Rees mentioned during the discussion with the board that he has heard a 30% occupancy level is the threshold for a sailing to be profitable, this was not a direct statement relating to Disney Cruise Line, but a general statement about cruise ships.

The meeting also discussed some details on Port Canaveral where Disney is looking into bringing fresh air into the terminals instead of recirculating the same air."

"The Disney Fantasy is likely going to be the test ship that will resume sailings for Disney Cruise Line from Port Canaveral to test the waters before ramping up cruise operations when the time is right. This is all early planning/discussions between the cruise line and port partners. The Wonder has sailing into late January from Galveston, even with the uncertainty the ports need to be prepared for a return. Bottom line, there will be a reduction in passenger capacity upon the restart, but the exact number remains a mystery until it is a published datapoint by either the cruise line, CLIA, or the CDC."

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"During the Port of Galveston’s September 1, 2020 Board of Trustees of the Galveston Wharves meeting, Rodger Rees, Port Director/CEO shared details from his recent discussions with Disney Cruise Line as it relates to the port’s involvement with cruise operations, specifically embarkation and disembarkations."

"According to Rees, Disney Cruise Line is targeting a 70% occupancy level when the Disney Wonder returns to service at the Port of Galveson, hopefully before the end of this year. Although November sailings are un-bookable, the Disney Wonder is slated to sail a 7-Night Bahamian Cruise from Galveston on November 20th barring any additional cruise cancellations.

Rees mentioned during the discussion with the board that he has heard a 30% occupancy level is the threshold for a sailing to be profitable, this was not a direct statement relating to Disney Cruise Line, but a general statement about cruise ships.

The meeting also discussed some details on Port Canaveral where Disney is looking into bringing fresh air into the terminals instead of recirculating the same air."

"The Disney Fantasy is likely going to be the test ship that will resume sailings for Disney Cruise Line from Port Canaveral to test the waters before ramping up cruise operations when the time is right. This is all early planning/discussions between the cruise line and port partners. The Wonder has sailing into late January from Galveston, even with the uncertainty the ports need to be prepared for a return. Bottom line, there will be a reduction in passenger capacity upon the restart, but the exact number remains a mystery until it is a published datapoint by either the cruise line, CLIA, or the CDC."

I think there’s a happy middle ground between 70% capacity and the 30% needed to break even. It seems unlikely Disney would stretch it to push capacity as high as 70%. They have been very cautious in their approach so far and it has worked out for the most part.

Lilofan

Nursing as a major seems to have better job opportunities after you graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom