Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingDisney

Around me there’s a school district that’s thinking of 2 days in school, 2 days home. So your child would go Monday’s and Thursday, others tuesdays and Fridays with Wednesday being the clean the school day. The days your not in school would be virtual. Just glad to see people putting their heads together to come up with something that would work. Of course this is all being decided now and they don’t go back to school until after Labor Day. Everything could change by then.
Ours is similar but the schedule is group 1-Monday/Tuesday in school, Wednesday disinfect day while all student attend virtual, group 2-Thursday/Friday in school. Students virtual on non-in-person days. The teachers are also divided into two groups so there are always teachers for the virtual days and in person days. Teachers who are high risk or not comfortable with returning are able to do the virtual teaching while the others who agree will provide the in person instruction teaching. Teachers are being tested on the disinfectant today and share virtual instructions on Wednesday.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think New Jersey could open schools with physical distancing and masks, their active cases are very low. However, New Jersey is one of the least active states right now, and likely has one of the highest levels of immune individuals (not enogh for herd immunity but hopefully enough to slow the rate and properly contact trace and isolate.)

Florida, Utah, California, etc are very different stories
Where I am in PA is in the same boat. I agree and my district is at least planning for physical opening in the fall. I feel pretty OK with the plan they laid out and with the low case numbers. I‘m pretty sure if the situation got to the point it’s at some other places they would be going to full virtual learning. Right now it’s just an option.

DisneyDebRob

A kid would come into prolonged contact with half the number of kids they would normally. It also allows for more distance between the kids in the classroom (in an indoor environment). I'm not sure what it does for the teachers, but I think that's a big reduction for kids.

It's very frustrating. Until about six weeks ago we were on track for schools to reopen mostly regularly. We were seeing mid double-digit cases and most days had zero or one deaths. But people got too comfortable, started getting together, and didn't wear masks. Now we're looking at days with over 1,000 cases and double-digit deaths. We're also seeing more hospitalizations among kids. So kids are starting online and universities are totally online.
It’s been said numerous times here, everyplace is different and the needs of that area taken into consideration. It’s not a one size fits all. People will say open schools here all the time. If your area can do it safely, and things are more under control, set up a game plan and try it. Other places I believe should not be looking at opening as they get worse everyday.

lazyboy97o

Figure it out. That’s what you do. Or we can simply make the achievement gap even wider, and more insurmountable. I know you’re too scared, these kids might infect someone who might infect someone else who might infect someone else who might infect you and then you’ll die, but that’s selfish and irrational of you.
The achievement gap is going to grow if you just keep desperately pretending there won’t be issues. The virus is already disproportionately hitting the families of children in the most need, who are in school districts with poor student-teacher ratios, that were already facing shortages of teachers and substitutes. To just say “Figure it out” when teachers become sick for weeks is exactly the sort of selfish callousness you accuse others of displaying. Waiting until it happens is too late for those kids who will be thrown into even more chaos. You keep trying to play this “I’m not afraid” card while ignoring just the basic logistics that have to be worked out even if any concern about the actual effects of the illness are removed from the equation.

Last edited:

schuelma

The outbreak has peaked/plateaued whatever word you want to use. The positivity rate fluctuates but is in a consistent range over the past 2 weeks.

And spoiler alert- the outbreak peaking at this level is absolutely horrible news.

Unless measures are taken Florida is going to see 150-200 deaths a day during the week for the foreseeable future.

mmascari

The outbreak has peaked/plateaued whatever word you want to use. The positivity rate fluctuates but is in a consistent range over the past 2 weeks.

And spoiler alert- the outbreak peaking at this level is absolutely horrible news.

Unless measures are taken Florida is going to see 150-200 deaths a day during the week for the foreseeable future.
What makes you think this is the peak?

Based on the numbers posted. Based on the anecdotes on testing turn around times, which the numbers seem to back up. I think it's going to continue to get worse in some areas, which is just my opinion. But, what's clear based on the numbers reported, there isn't control on what's going on and the outbreak isn't being contained or reduced, but simply slowed some.

In other ares, with the reverse anecdotes on testing and decreasing numbers, it's a different story.

disneyflush

Nonsense. Pure and simple nonsense. I won’t be moved on this subject. My wife is a teacher. I have a son going into 1st grade. The science says schools are safe. Instead of following the science. We are following irrational fears and panic. New Jersey has the virus under control. And schools still aren’t opening fully. It’s not about control of the virus. It’s about panic, fear, and politics. It’s a local tragedy, a statewide tragedy, and a national tragedy. And people like you. Selfish people, with no kids, no skin in the game, are going to cause an achievement gap the likes of which this country has never seen. I weep for the youth of this country.

Can you link the science that says schools are safe? Genuinely asking, not arguing. I'd like to read it over as I have a 5th and 8th grader this year and these discussions are happening in my school district.

Disneydad1012

How fast is the testing in MA? And is the tracing robust and working?

If you're getting test results back in 24 hours or less from the time a test need is identified, and have robust tracing to identify exposures and test. Mix in some scheduled random sampling to catch school population testing and kick off missed tracing cycles. Then, opening could be just fine. A positive test in a classroom would be able to quarantine and test everyone in a day to see if there was a transmission and contain them.

On the other hand, if it's taking a week+ from the time a test need is identified, there's no way quarantine and test everyone on this kind of schedule. Nobody would be in the classroom anyway as they're always quarantine between "test need is identified" and "test result".
I'm from MA and was exposed to someone but was already at day 12 since exposure when I found out. I called to get tested an the earliest appt I could get was 3 days later and then it was 6-10 days to get the results. I figured there wasn't a point in doing that..My sister who was also exposed decided to go directly to a lab and pay $85 a person for results in 4 hours. So fast results are possible...Just not free.

Touchdown

Im not surprised, I understand, but I’m still sad. Between Covid, my trips to Florida generally occurring between Oct-Feb and my WDW pass getting extended 5 months it looks like I’m not getting a Universal AP this year, I’ll ride out my WDW pass and then make a decision on either getting another WDW AP next fall (If the 50th is worth it) with one trip to Universal for HHN 30 or getting a Universal pass in October.

disneygeek90

Guessing most of us expected that. Would be really tough to pull off.
Orlando seemed like they were trying as much as possible to give it a go. At the end of the day with the cases how they are and the entire concept of HHN... it makes sense.

Bummed. I am not someone that typically likes horror movies, but I was dragged to HHN 2 years ago and fell in love with it.

Casper Gutman

Nonsense. Pure and simple nonsense. I won’t be moved on this subject. My wife is a teacher. I have a son going into 1st grade. The science says schools are safe. Instead of following the science. We are following irrational fears and panic. New Jersey has the virus under control. And schools still aren’t opening fully. It’s not about control of the virus. It’s about panic, fear, and politics. It’s a local tragedy, a statewide tragedy, and a national tragedy. And people like you. Selfish people, with no kids, no skin in the game, are going to cause an achievement gap the likes of which this country has never seen. I weep for the youth of this country.
Please stop making assumptions about me.

As someone said above, it would be constructive if you posted examples of the science you are relying on.

Kevin_W

Casper Gutman

I'm not the poster you are referring to, but:

It appears children under 10 transmit the virus less, although they still transmit it, and school will greatly increase their chance to do so. But kids over 10 transmit as freely as adults.

Look, I agree that schools need to be open, and they need to be open in person, as soon as possible. But a lot of people aren't serious about it - they just want to scream, "open up," and not consider the massive, unprecedented steps that will be required to make schools a safe environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom