Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Unfounded fear if we are following the science that I’m always told is important. But if some want to pick and choose which science to follow...
We haven't gotten our return plans yet. All we know is that all superintendents have been informed that they are not allowed to share information and that at the state level, the demand is to get as many students into school buildings as possible. It's a recipe for disaster if all students are expected to be in buildings...there just isn't enough available space.

lazyboy97o

Well, kids are going to have a lot of substitutes for a lot longer if we aren't careful. More than a third of teachers are vulnerable to covid, so they may be out of the teaching pool to begin with. We will start to see outbreaks among the teachers who do start the year in-person. As that happens, other teachers will begin to balk in greater and greater numbers. The demand for substitutes, many of whom will themselves be unwilling to work due to comorbidities, will outpace supply. Schools will close due to these factors or due to uncontrolled outbreaks.

Schools do need to be open as soon as possible. But that requires planning many regions aren't willing to do, and that we aren't doing on a nation-wide level. It also probably required us to make some sacrifices - like opening up more cautiously, wearing masks more uniformly, and not opening theme parks - we weren't willing to make. You can't just yell, "OK, Schools open now."
Many schools and school districts already faced a shortage of substitutes. It wouldn’t even require an outbreak, just a few teachers who are ill, to exacerbate that problem.

oceanbreeze77

Many schools and school districts already faced a shortage of substitutes. It wouldn’t even require an outbreak, just a few teachers who are ill, to exacerbate that problem.
a substitute shortage!? Theres a full on nationwide full time teacher shortage

I keep seeing people say, "well then they can quit" uhhh okay, your kid will for sure have more options when that happens :rolleyes:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There should be an option...either send your kids to school or keep them at home for virtual learning....most kids cannot, successfully, do virtual.
My school district is offering a virtual option. Based on survey feedback 25% of respondents said they would not want to send their kids to physical school so they created a virtual option which you are free to choose. They are banking on that 25%, so for example if the 5th grade at the elementary school normally has 4 classes of kids they are going to now have 3 physical classes. That 4th teacher is dedicated full time to the virtual class (allows at least some high risk teachers an out). During the school year the virtual class will run concurrently with the physical classes with the same lesson plans. Any kid who either tests positive or has suspected contact with a person who is positive (ie a direct family member is positive) will be on quarantine for at least 14 days and switch to virtual learning during that time if well enough to learn. They can come back to the physical school once they test negative and finish the quarantine. They are also relaxing the attendance policy and encouraging anyone who feels sick at all to stay home. If a kid or staff member who was in the physical building tests positive that whole classroom is sent home for several days for testing and they will do a deep cleaning of the room itself.

TrainsOfDisney

Teachers should become private and charge an hourly rate for homeschooling. They can make twice the money and the students get a much better education.

That’s actually a great idea business wise. Have the parents register the kids as home school, but then the teacher makes sure the kids get the education. Can be a mix of online zoom style, and / or in home learning.

Not sure how that would all work out legally... probably differs from state to state.

DisneyDebRob

My school district is offering a virtual option. Based on survey feedback 25% of respondents said they would not want to send their kids to physical school so they created a virtual option which you are free to choose. They are banking on that 25%, so for example if the 5th grade at the elementary school normally has 4 classes of kids they are going to now have 3 physical classes. That 4th teacher is dedicated full time to the virtual class (allows at least some high risk teachers an out). During the school year the virtual class will run concurrently with the physical classes with the same lesson plans. Any kid who either tests positive or has suspected contact with a person who is positive (ie a direct family member is positive) will be on quarantine for at least 14 days and switch to virtual learning during that time if well enough to learn. They can come back to the physical school once they test negative and finish the quarantine. They are also relaxing the attendance policy and encouraging anyone who feels sick at all to stay home. If a kid or staff member who was in the physical building tests positive that whole classroom is sent home for several days for testing and they will do a deep cleaning of the room itself.
Around me there’s a school district that’s thinking of 2 days in school, 2 days home. So your child would go Monday’s and Thursday, others tuesdays and Fridays with Wednesday being the clean the school day. The days your not in school would be virtual. Just glad to see people putting their heads together to come up with something that would work. Of course this is all being decided now and they don’t go back to school until after Labor Day. Everything could change by then.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's happening. Wealthy families are going in together, on hiring teachers to homeschool kids in "pods." It will do nothing to improve education for those who can't afford that option.
It absolutely can help those who can't afford that option.

if a certain percentage of students are home-schooled then it allows for smaller online public classrooms for those who can't afford private lessons. Not mention that there are many teachers who would make great money in the private sector, but also be willing to donate time for on line public classes.

chrisvee

hm I wonder how many children could actually be taught in home by the available pool of teachers willing to go private? are there any insurance implications I wonder?

trainplane3

Welp, our December Disney trip is cancelled and pushed back to February. I guess that extra week of vacation time I bought at work will be refunded for sure now.

Sucks but there's more important things going on.

Touchdown

When adjusted for population, 1.8% of Floridians have had confirmed Covid that currently puts Florida at #5 behind NY (2.2%) Louisiana (2.2%) Arizona (2.1%) and NJ (2.0%.)

For the more testing=More cases crowd, Florida has currently run enough tests to have tested 15% of its population once, that’s only good for #20 on the most tested states, some example of states that have tested more are California, Utah and Minnesota.

The only stat where Florida looks good is deaths adjusted for population, but as we have seen this number is starting to climb. It’s downright terrible how bad the state has mismanaged this.

Kevin_W

Around me there’s a school district that’s thinking of 2 days in school, 2 days home. So your child would go Monday’s and Thursday, others tuesdays and Fridays with Wednesday being the clean the school day. The days your not in school would be virtual. Just glad to see people putting their heads together to come up with something that would work. Of course this is all being decided now and they don’t go back to school until after Labor Day. Everything could change by then.

I see a lot of schools with this proposed model. I realize 50% of kids in schools makes spacing easier, but I don't see a lot of overall risk reduction from a teacher seeing my kid Monday/Thursday and yours Tuesday/Friday vs seeing both of ours at once. Based on what I'm seeing in my town, the Monday and the Tuesday kids are likely hanging out together outside of school anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom