Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disstevefan1

To build on what @ImperfectPixie said about unknowns regarding the long term impact there is still just the issue of dealing with the illness. Even if this killed 0 people and everyone who gets it ends up no worse at the end, for many people it still knocks them on their butt for at least a couple of weeks. Throughout the country, across businesses and institutions, we do not have the mechanisms in place to deal with people being out suddenly for so long in any sort of quantity.

I agree, its almost impossible for businesses and institutions to have planned for this.

Disstevefan1

NY is down to 1.1% positives. So... plateauing is not good. FL had been plateauing with low numbers for months, which was the opportunity to do contact tracing and lower the numbers to minimal. But they opened up during the plateau. And they're still pretty much open. This is a recipe for a continuing plateau with very high numbers for a long time.

I agree, it seems FL will plateau with very high numbers for a long time.

Jrb1979

I agree, it seems FL will plateau with very high numbers for a long time.
The sad thing in all of this it didn't have to be this way. As soon as cases started rising measures should have been taken like mandatory masks. I continue to shake my head. Florida relies a lot on tourists but many aren't going due to Florida being a hot spot. Karma strikes again.

Ontario has a percent positive rate of 0.9%. Something tells me what's been done here works. Its too bad many states have their head in the sand and are using thoughts and prayers for Covid to just go away.

hopemax

Agreed that the Israeli data is troubling. On the flip side, data from France shows low-to-no spread associated with schools.
The best examples will be where behavior matches what Americans will do. France schools instituted distancing and mask rules, started with smaller classes and scaled up over time. I think students older than 15 are still not back. Israel opened schools as if it was 2019. What do we think the US will do? We're still on this "hold my beer," strategy when provided examples of how to do things appropriately. Some communities will be fine, but others...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
for many people it still knocks them on their butt for at least a couple of weeks.
I've spoke with a a few dozen people who tested positive and only a few (2 or 3) had symptoms that were beyond headaches, runny nose, loss of appetite. Same goes from what I've spoken with others who know people who tested positive. Mild symptoms.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't hit some people hard, (mostly seniors), but it seems that a majority of the people who get it recover fairly quickly with mild symptoms.

Disstevefan1

The sad thing in all of this it didn't have to be this way. As soon as cases started rising measures should have been taken like mandatory masks. I continue to shake my head. Florida relies a lot on tourists but many aren't going due to Florida being a hot spot. Karma strikes again.

We are where we are. There were many times in my life I wished I had a Flux Capacitor. As far as tourism, we know at least WDW, and I will include Universal/IOA, are thesafest places for tourists to be if they visit Florida.

I fear getting infected on the plane ride to WDW from where ever you come from more than the WDW parks.

just my opinion.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There is no evidence that schools are 'safe'.
Schools are as safe as they’ve ever been. Kids die of the flu in large numbers every year. We don’t close schools, because up until this year, we knew schools were important.

It doesn’t matter anyway. Schools aren’t opening. People are selfish and afraid, and that’s that.

lazyboy97o

I've spoke with a a few dozen people who tested positive and only a few (2 or 3) had symptoms that were beyond headaches, runny nose, loss of appetite. Same goes from what I've spoken with others who know people who tested positive. Mild symptoms.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it doesn't hit some people hard, (mostly seniors), but it seems that a majority of the people who get it recover fairly quickly with mild symptoms.
This just isn’t true. It’s another false dichotomy.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Schools are as safe as they’ve ever been. Kids die of the flu in large numbers every year. We don’t close schools, because up until this year, we knew schools were important.

It doesn’t matter anyway. Schools aren’t opening. People are selfish and afraid, and that’s that.

But there are some significant differences.

We have a vaccine that prevents or reduces symptoms of the most severe forms of flu - we have nothing for COVID.

We have unknown long term complications with COVID.

I think those two things alone would mean that we should proceed with extreme caution in regard to schools, and in my opinion it would not be true to say schools are as safe as they have ever been.

peter11435

I know two people who tested positive and died

corsairk09

Now after all our non action, then our “ well I’m going out because I’ve been stuck inside” action we are where we are today. And we have people calling teachers selfish because they may be afraid because of actions and non actions from people in this country. Not fair at all.
I’m a teacher and I am over seeing other teachers complain about going back. Day care, Publix, Target, hospital, circle K .... all of those employees kept going to work and kept the world running. Didn’t hear them complain. We have an obligation to open brick and mortar schools.::: with options for parents to do remote learning. HOWEVER it is important to understand that remote learning is NOT the quality of learning that in person learning will be. There will be learning losses with these options.

corsairk09

Why does “figure it out” have to equal figure out how to make schools work just like before?

Why can’t we “figure out” how to do online education properly?
It is a matter of time and resources. Kids have already lost so much education.... and remote learning requires adults at home. That can’t be fixed or changed.

BrianLo

Hence the quotation of 'safe'. The implication of safety is that there will not be increased spread by opening schools. That won't be the case. Likewise schools are definitely not safe from influenza.

There may be fairly inconsequential impact on children though. In terms of spread prevention they may not be a safe haven - but I do largely agree there is a strong argument for the benefit to kids.

There is an irony that we are asking children to sacrifice a lot more than the adults are willing to do, for that I agree. I disagree that everything is motivated by fear though. We should not and do not follow evidence simply based on fear. I am personally not really afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom