Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneygeek90

That’s my hope too. If we can get to that point with masks and other restrictions thats the best bet for everyone and the economy. I refuse to call this a new normal...I prefer calling it a temporary normal. If the vaccine doesn’t work out then we can revisit that.
Temporary normal is fair. Eventually things should go back to the way it was, but we can't pretend this isn't our current environment for the foreseeable future.

oceanbreeze77

Temporary normal is fair. Eventually things should go back to the way it was, but we can't pretend this isn't our current environment for the foreseeable future.
this will be on/off for at least two years (masks, precautions). Assuming everything goes well from this point on, it'll take that long to workout all of the kinks.

oceanbreeze77

Explain yourself then.

7/13. 67k tests. 7/20 77k

7/14 80k tests 7/21 102k

What you’re saying makes no sense
for many months it used to be that the lowest positive numbers of the week were presented on Saturday/sunday/monday. I have noticed for about 3-4 weeks some states, including florida, have been reporting their lowest numbers on Tuesday/wednesday and some of their highest numbers over the weekend. Its just an observation, nothing to get defensive over.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Get your cake and glitter out. Here in CA we are about to eclipse NY for the title of Most Cases.👑👑👑
FL is not far behind. Up here in PA we dropped out of the top 10...thanks North Carolina :cool:

Actually if you look at cases per 100K people to level out population differences CA is still middle of the pack, PA is in the 30s.

oceanbreeze77

FL is not far behind. Up here in PA we dropped out of the top 10...thanks North Carolina :cool:

Actually if you look at cases per 100K people to level out population differences CA is still middle of the pack, PA is in the 30s.
I think Florida is approaching it too
Oh wait a minute...WE DID IT🎉🎉🎉

BrianLo

Anyone care to put a spin on this?

At least it is happening in July and not January. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic, that is somewhat protective. I'm dubious that everywhere will actually run out of room rather than just being insane Winter levels of busy in the summer. I think that's important to say because I do not think hospital capacity is the be-all end-all marker of success. It's just a surrogate for unmitigated disaster.

On the opposite side of things, this will be born out in deaths. Maybe not in a single state fashion, but there are several large states involved in this cycle. Eventually I assume deaths will creep back towards April levels US-wide. Or stay sustained at a moderate level for a longer period of time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh wait a minute...WE DID IT🎉🎉🎉
Per 100K list (they break NYC and NY state into 2 separate categories). FL is up to 5 now with CA all the way down at 25.

3AE83B79-A6A6-4D5D-B0CC-479E8A1B2957.png

oceanbreeze77

At least it is happening in July and not January. I'm not being facetious or sarcastic, that is somewhat protective. I'm dubious that everywhere will actually run out of room rather than just being insane Winter levels of busy in the summer. I think that's important to say because I do not think hospital capacity is the be-all end-all marker of success. It's just a surrogate for unmitigated disaster.

On the opposite side of things, this will be born out in deaths. Maybe not in a single state fashion, but there are several large states involved in this cycle. Eventually I assume deaths will creep back towards April levels US-wide. Or stay sustained at a moderate level for a longer period of time.
something that will be interesting to watch is how the Fall/winter plays out. This current spike was not at all expected for this summer, and here we are. They're expecting Fall/Winter to be disastrous. It truly exemplifies that we are in uncharted territory with this pandemic.

Kevin_W

Anyone care to put a spin on this?

Okay, I'll take a stab at a positive spin. compared to the peak # of cases per day in late April, current cases are nearly double that. but hospitalizations are still slightly below those levels and deaths are about half. So hopefully that means treatments are getting better (or healthier people are getting infected, or the virus has mutated to be less deadly).

Sorry, that's not much of a positive spin but it's the best I've got.

1595435098307.png

disneygeek90

something that will be interesting to watch is how the Fall/winter plays out. This current spike was not at all expected for this summer, and here we are. They're expecting Fall/Winter to be disastrous. It truly exemplifies that we are in uncharted territory with this pandemic.
Is there any proof that weather has anything to do with it? I know we see increases in winter during the flu season, but this thing seems to beat to it's own drum. I legitimately don't know but what makes people think winter will be worse for covid specifically?

oceanbreeze77

Is there any proof that weather has anything to do with it? I know we see increases in winter during the flu season, but this thing seems to beat to it's own drum. I legitimately don't know but what makes people think winter will be worse for covid specifically?
Its not the weather but its the fact that the fall/winter is already cold/flu season. With the added pandemic its a perfect storm.

Kevin_W

I'm wondering if we see less cold and flu cases than normal because people are wearing masks and just more aware of their surroundings/cleanliness in general? Silver lining maybe?

That is my hope for a silver lining - we will all be more conscious about spreading "ordinary" germs. Using more sanitizer, washing hands more often, and staying home when sick and/or wearing a mask. I think back to when I was sick in February. I was only sick for 1-2 days, but had a nagging cough for 7-10 days after. I did my best to always cover a cough, but in hindsight I should have work a mask during that time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm wondering if we see less cold and flu cases than normal because people are wearing masks and just more aware of their surroundings/cleanliness in general? Silver lining maybe?
Hopefully more people get a flu shot too. We don’t have a Covid vaccine yet, but you can get a flu shot and be much less likely to get sick with flu. Hospitals are stretched to near capacity every flu season so combining flu and Covid could be a bad situation unless it’s a very mild flu season due to masks, distancing and extra flu shots.

One other factor could be schools. Many schools are planning to go back to some form of physical learning but who knows how long that lasts. Most college plans I have seen end physical classes at Thanksgiving break and do the end of the semester and finals remotely. Regular schools may be either back to full remote learning or at least have way less sick kids going to school once flu season kicks in. I know my kid’s school is relaxing attendance policies and having strict no sick kids in school so if you send your kid to school sick with Covid symptoms they most likely will get flagged by the nurse and sent to quarantine until you pick them up. Then you need a negative test result before the kid is allowed back to school. Since flu and Covid have a lot of the same symptoms there shouldn’t be as many kids with colds and flu at school this year if there is physical learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom