Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’d imagine it will be less of an issue actually since guests will have somewhere other than the pools to spend their time.
Not much to do at night. When MK closes at 7 it’s still light out for a few hours. I would imagine it will be quite popular to go to the pool in the evening, especially when the heat index is still in the high 90s. During the day it’s typically pretty popular for people to do a mid-day pool break in the heat of summer.

Miss Bella

I'm glad I don't have little kids that like to swim anymore. We have a pool at our house so swimming isn't a novelty for us. I would like to use the hot tub on occasion.

So far the only thing that's been taken away that affects us is eating dinner in Epcot. There's a couple of places in Epcot we like to eat at.

I'm really just looking forward to some downtime. The only thing better would be a cruise.

TrainsOfDisney

I'm glad I don't have little kids that like to swim anymore. We have a pool at our house so swimming isn't a novelty for us. I would like to use the hot tub on occasion.

So far the only thing that's been taken away that affects us is eating dinner in Epcot. There's a couple of places in Epcot we like to eat at.

I'm really just looking forward to some downtime. The only thing better would be a cruise.

Out of curiosity... what is your favorite attraction at Disney world?

natatomic

More updates from a friend of a friend at the pools.
View attachment 481439View attachment 481440View attachment 481441
Interesting. We were at Vero beach a couple of days ago, and very few people are wearing their side, and no one was wearing them around the pool area. Cast weren’t telling anyone to wear them around the pool area, either. We also weren’t told what to do with the chairs, about leaning them forward when we were done. I was wondering how they would know which ones to clean after people left, but I don’t remember seeing any of them being cleaned anyways. At the same time, I was not looking for it either, so I can’t say that it wasn’t being done.
They strongly enforced masks in the lobby though.

ETA: we never had to wait for the pool, although the beach is also right there, so I’m sure it helped spread out the guests. And it didn’t seem overly busy for a holiday week. I’d imagine Vero Beach is a different animal from WDW, though.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I felt stressed out just reading this! I still don’t understand why anyone would pay for such an experience (I don’t mean that as a criticism; I’m just genuinely baffled).
I think some people just want to get away. I’m with you, this doesn’t sound magical at all. Any of it sounds more like work then what we are all used to. But for some I guess this could be their only time going this year and some time away from the house is what they are looking for. I hope they have a good time as we all do but I’ll wait.

carolina_yankee

I felt stressed out just reading this! I still don’t understand why anyone would pay for such an experience (I don’t mean that as a criticism; I’m just genuinely baffled).

Right now, most of those who "paid for it" are DVC members with points who decided whatever was going on, keeping their reservation was worth it.

I don't think anybody realized - perhaps even Disney - just how much safety protocols affect waits and capacity. In all fairness, somebody has to be the first and I'm sure procedures will be adjusted.

I know people will groan, but it may become necessary to book a 90 minute or two hour window for the pools the way some other resorts are doing (at least from what I saw at Hilton Head Island).

Also, neither Kidani or Jambo have great pool capacity for the size of the resorts. I'll be curious how different it is at other resorts with both feature and quiet pools open.

Nubs70

In my neck of the woods (Ohio) cases have spiked up in the past 2+ weeks (over double the # of daily cases). Luckily, deaths have continued to trend down and hospitalizations have only increased a little overall and have dropped the past few days. Early on in this mess, Ohio and Florida trended similarly, I'm curious what diverged.

Many cities around here passed mandatory mask rules in the past few days trying to stem the tide.
The were many non socially distanced gatherings a few weeks ago.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Right now, most of those who "paid for it" are DVC members with points who decided whatever was going on, keeping their reservation was worth it.

I don't think anybody realized - perhaps even Disney - just how much safety protocols affect waits and capacity. In all fairness, somebody has to be the first and I'm sure procedures will be adjusted.

I know people will groan, but it may become necessary to book a 90 minute or two hour window for the pools the way some other resorts are doing (at least from what I saw at Hilton Head Island).

Also, neither Kidani or Jambo have great pool capacity for the size of the resorts. I'll be curious how different it is at other resorts with both feature and quiet pools open.
It will be pretty interesting to see how it plays out. BCV and GF won’t have feature pools open. BCV is a smaller building and there is a 2nd quiet pool at BC they could open but not sure about GF. Poly is right next door but that will potentially have capacity issues too. Assuming the CR feature pool is open BLT shouldn‘t be a problem.

Depending on how full the resorts are AoA could be a problem. 2K room capacity and I believe only 3 pools (2 being smaller quiet pools). That could get dicey for sure.

Miss Bella

I rarely use the pool at a resort anyway. My 16-year-old has no interest at all in going to the pool.

mickeymiss

What's going on for dinner at Epcot? I lost track of dining updates a long time ago.

Mickey Pride

I think some people just want to get away. I’m with you, this doesn’t sound magical at all. Any of it sounds more like work then what we are all used to. But for some I guess this could be their only time going this year and some time away from the house is what they are looking for. I hope they have a good time as we all do but I’ll wait.
I totally understand that people must be getting cabin fever and especially those with several kids in the house and they want to get away. You are correct that it doesn't sound magical, but also I think it needs to be added that it is not the safest thing to be putting yourself or your family into. People need to really need to sit back and think and put their priorities in line and weigh if waiting on a WDW vacation is more important than taking a chance on the health of your family.

Chi84

Premium Member
After the initial onslaught, Illinois seems to be doing well - the positivity rate has been between 2 and 3% for several weeks. I believe we were the second state to issue a shelter in place order, and the time between phases was set at 28 days instead of the 14 used by most states. The reopening has been slow.

As far as masks are concerned, the governor mandated them starting May 1 for times when people could not be 6 feet apart. From my personal observation, compliance was very good. In the few places we've gone since March, people obeyed signs about masks. Sure, we have some extremists on both sides of the mask issue, and I'll put up our local lunatics against the best of them. But for the most part, people just put on the mask instead of making a point about their constitutional right to fuss. The one issue I did see was with how people wore the mask. They definitely had them, but most were wearing them below the nose (probably to avoid fogging glasses), and quite a few took them off or lowered them when speaking to each other or to employees. I don't know to what extent this affects the effectiveness of mask-wearing, but I've learned not to question it for fear of being told I'm a selfish idiot who doesn't care how many people I kill. 🙄

This past week, I've seen an almost complete reversal in people's behavior where I live. The masks are pretty much gone except where there are signs requiring them, and my block was filled with cars of people gathering for the 4th. No one I saw was social distancing or wearing a mask. I absolutely hate staying home, but I and many others did so for 4 months. It's hard for me to believe people would throw away all that hard work and sacrifice.

Miss Bella

We were supposed to be on a Baltic cruise this August so I already had the time off. My tickets to WDW were free because of an error Costco made canceling my April reservation so they comped me the tickets(long story). I paid for GDT and I'm staying at WL villas. Nice upgrade.

I got a great deal on Universal tickets through a promo on UT. I used cc points to erase the charge. My rate at RPR is pretty good. I'm staying one night at the airport Hyatt on points. It's just me and my son so all in all I' 'm not paying that much for my 12-night vacation. Whatever happens, I'm fine with it.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out -

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.01.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.01.20 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 11.01.14 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom