Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I totally understand that people must be getting cabin fever and especially those with several kids in the house and they want to get away. You are correct that it doesn't sound magical, but also I think it needs to be added that it is not the safest thing to be putting yourself or your family into. People need to really need to sit back and think and put their priorities in line and weigh if waiting on a WDW vacation is more important than taking a chance on the health of your family.
I canceled my trip in August partially because of restrictions resulting in a lesser experience and partially for health concerns. After seeing the roll out so far and the new spike in cases for FL I’m feeling pretty good about that decision. On the health side I think the big difference is there are people who don’t think this thing is a big risk. They are mostly younger and healthy so don’t worry about getting sick. No point debating it because people have made up their minds. My point on this is I don’t think anyone who feels the virus is a serious health risk would go to WDW so the people still going have done what you said and weighed the decision and landed on it’s not a big risk.

peter11435

They are mostly younger and healthy so don’t worry about getting sick.
interestingly in my area the opposite seems to be true. The younger people are staying home, wearing masks when they do have to go out, and properly distancing. It’s the middle aged and older that are out without masks and ignoring personal space let alone physical distancing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
interestingly in my area the opposite seems to be true. The younger people are staying home, wearing masks when they do have to go out, and properly distancing. It’s the middle aged and older that are out without masks and ignoring personal space let alone physical distancing.
Everyone has their own self image that may not sync with reality. My father in law is 75 but works out everyday and has said numerous times to us he’s not worried about getting sick because he’s not in the high risk group. He’s convinced age doesn’t matter. I think the opposite is true a lot too. I know a few people with some of the pre-existing conditions (especially being overweight) but are under 50 so feel it’s not a big deal for them either.

Jrb1979

Miss Bella

Which of those numbers are the best. I was under the impression now that you always look for the best number to make it look good. 🙄. Just wait til Disney opens and people from across the country can bring it back to their home and spread it around. We all want everyone to get this for herd immunity right.

I just will continue to shake my head.
Is that's whats happening at Universal?

mickeymiss

It's such a myth that all older people are mad at younger people for going out more. They want to participate in life too. My husband's grandmother desperately wanted visitors and was prevented *only* by others backing off out of fear that they'd expose her. She's been miserably unhappy ever since. We could argue all day long that our distance from her is for the greater good but you would never think that talking to her. She's fully depressed.

A group of ladies at a local retirement home got all dolled up to go out when our state announced restaurants opening. When our governor decided not to open them, they were devastated. Getting out is what they look forward to. As much as we want to protect them, they want to choose for themselves as much as anyone.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I do agree. Some don’t listen and think they can get around rules. Suspend the license and fine them.
$15,000 seems like a large fine but depending on the size of the bar/club they could make that in a day. It skews the fines in favor of larger places and more punitive to a smaller bar. Having your business shut down for 30 days is a guarantee to be devastating to any size establishment. People wouldn’t mess around with that.

Rider

Florida reported 10,059 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, bringing the statewide case total past 200,000.
From Sunday to Sunday, Florida reported 59,036 new cases, the highest amounts in a one-week period since the pandemic began. 312 deaths were also reported, and 318,851 tests administered, the latter breaking another record for the state.
In comparison, the week ending June 28 saw 43,784 cases, 258 deaths and over 282,000 tests administered. The previous week ending June 21 saw 21,723 cases, 230 deaths and over 190,000 tests administered.
This week’s Sunday to Sunday death count breaks a seven-week period where Florida saw under 300 fatalities reported. From the week ending April 19 to the week ending May 10, reported deaths were 300 or over.
The week ending May 10 saw the worst for deaths, with 342 reported in one week.

esskay

I'd be a bit concerned about this...

Everyone was saying it was fine because the mortality rate was down, hospitals were doing fine, etc. We're going to start seeing the knockon effects of those massively increased infection rates in Florida this week and its not going to be pretty.

There's going to be some strong mental gymnastics going on to paint the state in a good light now.

oceanbreeze77

Everyday the optics of Disney opening up this week looks worse. You can spin the data however you want, find the positives, but at the end of the day Florida is facing a major problem. I'm still of the opinion they pull the plug. Its just getting worse. And to report 10,000 from a HOLIDAY is bad. A day when things were expected to be calm. Numbers keep going up, no signs of positivity rate going down, and hospitals are filling up. I just dont see how they go through with it.

disneygeek90

Everyday the optics of Disney opening up this week looks worse. You can spin the data however you want, find the positives, but at the end of the day Florida is facing a major problem. I'm still of the opinion they pull the plug. Its just getting worse. And to report 10,000 from a HOLIDAY is bad. A day when things were expected to be calm. Numbers keep going up, no signs of positivity rate going down, and hospitals are filling up. I just dont see how they go through with it.
Testing was supposed to be calm, not the lagged results. My brother tried to get tested yesterday (coworkers live in boyfriend tested positive) and they were closed. He got a test done today and they told him it could be up to a week for results. Just because testing was closed yesterday doesn't mean reporting was. The cases from today were tested days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom