Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHappy

Anyone else renting dvc points thru David's. I did an online chat yesterday with them. They basically said tough luck on a refund. It's an owner by owner basis. I said although "pandemic" isnt explicitly noted in the agreement, there must be some alternatives. They then said we'll see what the rules are if the parks close during my scheduled visit (May 1).

freediverdude

Closing WDW is on a whole other level than closing Disneyland. You've got 25,000 plus hotel rooms, many of which are booked for much longer stays. 2 week stays are common, and some longer. And a lot more international guests. It would probably take a week or more to empty out the hotels just to close.

Then you've got the much larger security arrangements that would have to be made to secure an area that large and with so many buildings after everybody leaves. All the roads would probably have to be blocked and manned except a couple checkpoints to let essential employees in.

And then you've got how many? 60,000? employees suddenly sitting at home that you will have to pay and coordinate when to come back and how to reopen, etc. And large groups of tourists that could not end up making international travel arrangements that quickly suddenly descending on the rest of Orlando looking for hotels and food if they can find anything open....

IanDLBZF

This just in....
"In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of our theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Paris Resort, beginning at the close of business on Sunday, March 15, through the end of the month.
"Disney Cruise Line will suspend all new departures beginning Saturday, March 14, through the end of the month.
"The Walt Disney Company will pay its cast members during that closure period.
"The hotels at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris will remain open until further notice. The retail and dining complexes, Disney Springs at Walt Disney World and Disney Village at Disneyland Paris, will remain open.
"Domestic Walt Disney Company employees who are able to work from home are being asked to do so, including those at The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, ESPN, Direct-to-Consumer, and Parks, Experiences and Products.
“We will continue to stay in close contact with appropriate officials and health experts.”

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I rented DVC points privately and am supposed to go on March 22. I will be out of that money if WDW closes. Does the person get their points back if there is a closure?

I would imagine DVC will need to revise their cancellation policy if that happens. Currently, points for a booked reservation cancelled between 30 and 1 day prior to check in go into a holding account for the member. There are restrictions on how those points are used.

DCL modified their cancellation policy. I was scheduled to depart on a cruise tomorrow, but I cancelled yesterday. I now have a credit I can use on any future cruises through March 13, 2021.

TsWade2

Great! Now all the Disney theme parks are closed. Congratulations Coronavirus, you’re making this year the crappiest year ever!😡Am I allowed to say crappy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom