Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know a lot of people (not on this board) say we can't shut down again, but it seems that states are opting to do just that.

LA just closed their beaches for the 4th.
Pulling back on bars opening isn’t stay at home orders. The vast majority of things can be open if people just follow simple rules. July 4th is a big problem because it’s a time when so many people go out and do stuff, typically in big groups.

Jrb1979

I know a lot of people (not on this board) say we can't shut down again, but it seems that states are opting to do just that.

LA just closed their beaches for the 4th.
I personally am glad it is happening. I have said many times where I live they are opening things very slowly to avoid the big spikes that a lot of states are seeing.

JoeCamel

The thing to remember once we move on from COVID-19, is not to get complacent about the possibility of future pandemics. 1918 was how many years ago? So we should be good for another hundred years, right? But the possibility of a new pandemic is always a present danger. An increasing one, due to population growth, human disturbances (and all their animal food sources) into new habitats and climate change.

But it would be so 2020 to have a novel flu coincide with novel coronavirus.

We will become a society of mole people covering up with hoods and scurrying from place to place doing our business not contacting others and fearing contact.
Only screens will fulfill the societal needs of exhumans, they will hunker in their holes gleeful that the world has changed to their base desires.

Oh, wait - looks arounds and sees where he is.

milordsloth

The thing to remember once we move on from COVID-19, is not to get complacent about the possibility of future pandemics. 1918 was how many years ago? So we should be good for another hundred years, right? But the possibility of a new pandemic is always a present danger. An increasing one, due to population growth, human disturbances (and all their animal food sources) into new habitats and climate change.

But it would be so 2020 to have a novel flu coincide with novel coronavirus.

Maybe we should really embrace this as the "new normal" and keep the shut downs going as a preemptive strike on the next pandemic.

hopemax

Maybe we should really embrace this as the "new normal" and keep the shut downs going as a preemptive strike on the next pandemic.
Well, I was thinking things like agreeing tax dollars should be spent on the Federal stockpile, figuring out how states and the Federal government can work together more effectively than this, how we approach “being sick” in the workplace.

I guess we could just do your suggestion too, but it would be at great cost...

Pulling back on bars opening isn’t stay at home orders. The vast majority of things can be open if people just follow simple rules. July 4th is a big problem because it’s a time when so many people go out and do stuff, typically in big groups.

Not opening theme parks and entertainment venues don't mean they're going back to stay at home orders. If bars can't open, it's not out of line to assume that there might be a delay for Disney/they retract their opening plans. Arizona today just announced that bars, gyms, theaters, water parks, rivers, and tubing must be closed by 8pm today for 30 days because of COVID spikes. So theoretically, if Disney World were in AZ it would close its waterparks too, which could stretch to theme parks. I'm not too familiar with AZ and their amusement parks and covid rules.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Not opening theme parks and entertainment venues don't mean they're going back to stay at home orders. If bars can't open, it's not out of line to assume that there might be a delay for Disney/they retract their opening plans. Arizona today just announced that bars, gyms, theaters, water parks, rivers, and tubing must be closed by 8pm today for 30 days because of COVID spikes. So theoretically, if Disney World were in AZ it would close its waterparks too, which could stretch to theme parks. I'm not too familiar with AZ and their amusement parks and covid rules.
I wonder if protests are banned now too? Or nah?

TrojanUSC

I wonder if protests are banned now too? Or nah?

As has been repeated to you multiple times, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the outdoor protests, where most wore masks, and increased spikes. The places with the largest protests (MN, NY, DC) are seeing no spikes. It is far more correlated to indoor behavior without masks (everything from crowded bars to churches).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I never said not opening theme parks meant going back to stay at home orders. That’s actually the opposite of what I said. The post I was replying to was referring to recent events as being the start of the country shutting down again. I was just pointing out that closing bars or water parks or other specific venues that present a problem is a far cry from full stay at home orders...which it is.

mickeymiss

As has been repeated to you multiple times, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the outdoor protests, where most wore masks, and increased spikes. The places with the largest protests (MN, NY, DC) are seeing no spikes. It is far more correlated to indoor behavior without masks (everything from crowded bars to churches).

There's no correlation between guideline following theme parks and covid either but we should pre-emptively shut them down anyway because....______? If we are really shutting this whole hizzy down again, it's a bad look for leadership to keep downplaying the obvious risks of gathering anywhere for any reason. Even protests. I cringed at the lockdown protest AND the current protest because my family has sacrificed a lot for the covid cause. I felt manipulated. I felt scared too at the time because we were told nothing in our lives was more important than covid. My uncle died of cancer alone in hospice. Nobody could hold even a small funeral. He disappeared.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There's no correlation between guideline following theme parks and covid either but we should pre-emptively shut them down anyway because....______? If we are really shutting this whole hizzy down again, it's a bad look for leadership to keep downplaying the obvious risks of gathering anywhere for any reason. Even protests. I cringed at the lockdown protest AND the current protest because my family has sacrificed a lot for the covid cause. I felt manipulated. I felt scared too at the time because we were told nothing in our lives was more important than covid. My uncle of died of cancer alone in hospice. Nobody could hold even a small funeral. He disappeared.

I think placing a hold further openings during a surge, or maybe taking a step back with places like bars where we there is a correlation is good policy. Any blanket re-closures or new stay at home orders, pass. Leaders need to keep pressing social distancing and masking wearing where appropriate.

Also, I am sorry for your loss. It must have been extremely tough for your family during this time.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think placing a hold further openings during a surge, or maybe taking a step back with places like bars where we know is an issue is good policy. Any blanket re-closures or new stay at home orders, pass. Leaders need to keep pressing social distancing and masking wearing where appropriate.
I agree with this. It’s not a hard concept either. Some things are fine to be open with basic precautions, some are OK with even more precautions and some things just cant be open right now. Its crazy how people just jump to closing anything or pulling back on anything means a return to a full stay at home order. Too black and white thinking. There’s plenty of room to stay in the middle ground and keep most of the economy open. Whether people supported or opposed protests they are not an excuse for people to do what they want now. Two wrongs don’t make a right...we all learned that a loooong time ago.

milordsloth

I agree with this. It’s not a hard concept either. Some things are fine to be open with basic precautions, some are OK with even more precautions and some things just cant be open right now. Its crazy how people just jump to closing anything or pulling back on anything means a return to a full stay at home order. Too black and white thinking. There’s plenty of room to stay in the middle ground and keep most of the economy open. Whether people supported or opposed protests they are not an excuse for people to do what they want now. Two wrongs don’t make a right...we all learned that a loooong time ago.

I think a big disconnect between the different styles of thought is whether or not theme parks should be open. I might be a little biased because I have a trip coming up, but I still believe WDW should open as planned with the measures in place.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Go check Minnesota’s numbers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom