Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

Go check Minnesota’s numbers again.

Sure, let's go ahead and look at a graph... which one seems to have a worse trajectory? Don't forget to note MN measuring by the hundreds, while Florida is measuring by the thousands.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.12.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.12.25 PM.png

Please do research, it helps.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Sure, let's go ahead and look at a graph... which one seems to have a worse trajectory (also, don't forget to note MN measuring by the hundreds, while Florida is measuring by the thousands).

View attachment 480425View attachment 480427
Please do research, it helps.

Well, depends how you look at it. Maybe Minnesota as they could be entering the first stages of a surge. That small uptick is where Florida and Texas started. I hope they start going down again, however.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey ordered bars, gyms, movie theaters, water parks, and tubing to close for at least 30 days on Monday, following weeks of steady increases in positive COVID-19 test results in the state, and a week after he issued a strong warning to bars and nightclubs, specifically in Scottsdale, that were not adhering to their social distancing requirements."

"In addition to businesses closures, Governor Ducey has announced the start for schools to reopen has been pushed back to August 17 amid rise in Arizona coronavirus cases."

Not exactly a “leftists” government in Arizona, is it?
waterparks??
nooooo....not tubing

I can understand the rest, but tubing? Seems like something outdoor that can be done with physical distancing. Weird. 30 days is a pretty firm commitment.
My first thoughts on waterparks is the shared surface contact is intense...if not that frequent.
I dare you to find one 12 year old boy who has ever washed his hands during bathroom breaks in the course of rides at typhoon lagoon. Go ahead and try...I’ll need video proof (wait...bad idea...cancel that).
Well, I was thinking things like agreeing tax dollars should be spent on the Federal stockpile, figuring out how states and the Federal government can work together more effectively than this, how we approach “being sick” in the workplace.

I guess we could just do your suggestion too, but it would be at great cost...
Do you know the story of how the stockpile was created?
It’s actually a really good commentary on how things have changed. Hint: it was done by an executive order and then funded bipartisan by congress.
I wonder if protests are banned now too? Or nah?
Ban them. However, unlike bars, rallies, masks or amusement parks...that actually IS a right in the constitution.
As has been repeated to you multiple times, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the outdoor protests, where most wore masks, and increased spikes. The places with the largest protests (MN, NY, DC) are seeing no spikes. It is far more correlated to indoor behavior without masks (everything from crowded bars to churches).
I don’t think they’re a good idea...even though I get the symbolism behind it and everyone that has caught hell due to bad deeds or poor management absolutely deserves it.
Nah, if I've learned anything from this thread it's that protests are safe and there's no way WDW can guarantee that level of protection.
You haven’t learned much then.

Please quote the “YEAH! Protests!” That downplay the health risks on this thread so I can catch up?
You think it's your God given AmErIcAn right for Disney World to open? lol

If you can't discern the difference from protesting and going to a theme park you have bigger problems bud...
Most people vehemently advocating for Disney opening have no plans to go. It’s like a binkie/blanket for adults. Can’t sleep without knowing Disney is open. It’s kinda lame and bizarre. Warm milk.

TrojanUSC

Can you interpret that chart for me? Am I supposed to switch the nameplates before I make the connection? 🤔

What do you mean? The previous poster intimated MN, which had the biggest protests in the country, was seeing the same kind of spikes as FL, when that was not true. It's the same graph for MN vs FL.

hopemax

Do you know the story of how the stockpile was created?
It’s actually a really good commentary on how things have changed. Hint: it was done by an executive order and then funded bipartisan by congress.
Yep, I know. While researching why people were whining about it being depleted in March. It is a good story. If people want to find out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What do you mean? The previous poster intimated MN, which had the biggest protests in the country, was seeing the same kind of spikes as FL, when that was not true. It's the same graph for MN vs FL.
This is what you get for skipping sarcasm class last week...☹

My point was you’d have to switch the state names for that “argument” to take hold

BrianLo

ehh. I’m not going to get any more alarmed at a positivity rate for one day. More about the 7 day rolling, which is more or less flat (not perfectly though). As I said, not good though. Need to get testing to a consistently higher rate

I think you are miscalculating the rolling 7 day average. They aren't calculating it for us... But I did the quick math just so you can visualize it.

The last 8 days in order: (June 21) 9.72 10.22, 11.04, 11.06, 11.45, 11.54, 11.59, 12.44 (28th)

Essentially if the current day of the week is higher than the previous weeks same calendar day then it is increasing. Don't just look at the last 7 days and think they are all the same. Sunday's total (13.67) was much higher than last Sunday (7.72).

Last edited:

milordsloth

You haven’t learned much then.

Please quote the “YEAH! Protests!” That downplay the health risks on this thread so I can catch up?

I'll bite. So I was being a little facetious but still am happy to give a few examples. Not necessarily examples of people saying "Yeah! Protests!", but comments trying to show that protests seem to have no correlation to increased cases... which in my mind should be a big thumbs up to WDW opening.

Regarding Protests:

Risky, for sure. However, they can’t be the scapegoat. Philadelphia, NJ, NY, Mass all head heavy amounts of protest. And our numbers are stable. Maybe we just protest better because we’re more used to it. :D For the protests I’m aware of, there was a call by organizer to mask and distance. It’s not mobs running out into the streets. These things are planned with strategies and expectations. Not going to debate what happens as a result because that’s not the point here. The point is we protested and our numbers are stable.

Also, outdoors is always safe than inddors. There is a very difference between a protest outside, even without masking, and cramming a bar inside without masking.
No, it did not coincide with the protests. If it did you'd expect to see big spikes in MN, NY and PA - all sites of the biggest protests. The reality is this does well in air conditioned environments where people aren't masked. This coincides with Phase 2 of most states reopening - higher capacity restaurants, bars open, etc.
There have been many protests in Minnesota for over a month (though many have had solid mask usage and social distancing from what I’ve seen) and numbers in Minnesota have been stable or even slightly declining lately.

Clusters of cases in the state have been traced to bars though.
A new study, published this month by the National Bureau of Economic Research, used data on protests from more than 300 of the largest U.S. cities, and found no evidence that coronavirus cases grew in the weeks following the beginning of the protests.

However, researchers determined that social distancing behaviors actually went up after the protests — as people tried to avoid the protests altogether. But obviously, these demonstrations caused a decrease in social distancing among actual protesters.

"Our findings suggest that any direct decrease in social distancing among the subset of the population participating in the protests is more than offset by increasing social distancing behavior among others who may choose to shelter-at-home and circumvent public places while the protests are underway," the report reads.

Yup, protests are outdoors.

Indoors w/o masks is the issue.

so, bars...

Obviously not all perfect examples, but they all have the common theme of protests =/= increased cases.

Edit: I meant for these to be included, still figuring out the multi-quote function:

Philadelphia has had large protests for several weeks now. New cases:
View attachment 477503
As has been repeated to you multiple times, there does not seem to be a direct correlation between the outdoor protests, where most wore masks, and increased spikes. The places with the largest protests (MN, NY, DC) are seeing no spikes. It is far more correlated to indoor behavior without masks (everything from crowded bars to churches).

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll bite. So I was being a little facetious but still am happy to give a few examples. Not necessarily examples of people saying "Yeah! Protests!", but comments trying to show that protests seem to have no correlation to increased cases... which in my mind should be a big thumbs up to WDW opening.

Ok...if you admit to being facetious...I’ll cop to being “ornery” 🤞🏻

I think the point is...any suggestion that we who have consistently preached caution are “ok” with mass street protests - thinking its all political alignment - is not true.

At least for one guy I know...minimum.

Protests are dangerous from a health perspective...and as usual went off the rails.
But the emotions behind it are somewhat understandable. I don’t like them but accept them.

Theme parks are not necessary...not during a health situation. Just can’t be justified in 1,000 mental chess moves on Today’s date and time.
So I can’t accept that if things don’t 180 in the south in pronto speed. I’m seeing, getting some texts than Anaheim may scrap the summer...If true, that makes Florida more precarious.

We can always go to Tokyo or Euro though...they seem confident.

Obviously not all perfect examples, but they all have the common theme of protests =/= increased cases.
I think that’s still not totally set yet. I hope not...even the embarrassing clowns who have said all the wrong things at this point - I want to “succeed” now.

This is getting old.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Do some gatherings feature high levels of children who have recently arrived from parts unknown that could carry the potential of having a much larger “contract tree”?...both just before they arrive and immediately after?

....Asking for a friend
Yes. Many children aka 18-25 year olds were traveling for the protests. Anyways. I get what you’re saying, and maybe Dizney Werld shouldn’t open. I personally don’t care since I’m all but finished with it. I don’t enjoy the blind hypocrisy though. Large gatherings are either allowed or they aren’t. Beyond that, you can’t allow a protest of 10k and then tell the restaurant on the corner they can’t operate. It’s wrong.

milordsloth

Ok...if you admit to being facetious...I’ll cop to being “ornery” 🤞🏻

I think the point is...any suggestion that we who have consistently preached caution are “ok” with mass street protests - thinking its all political alignment - is not true.

At least for one guy I know...minimum.

Protests are dangerous from a health perspective...and as usual went off the rails.
But the emotions behind it are somewhat understandable. I don’t like them but accept them.

Theme parks are not necessary...not during a health situation. Just can’t be justified in 1,000 mental chess moves on Today’s date and time.
So I can’t accept that if things don’t 180 in the south in pronto speed. I’m seeing, getting some texts than Anaheim may scrap the summer...If true, that makes Florida more precarious.

We can always go to Tokyo or Euro though...they seem confident.

I think that’s still not totally set yet. I hope not...even the embarrassing clowns who have said all the wrong things at this point - I want to “succeed” now.

This is getting old.

Well said and I do agree with nearly everything you wrote. I still disagree that just because theme parks are not necessary, doesn't mean they can't open carefully. However, your final statement of this circular argument getting old I definitely agree with.

Time for me to crack a beer, watch TV, and see which direction this thread takes tonight. Cheers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You believe protests had no effect? Come on.
I hope not...

But I don’t support the protests due to health reasons. I understand it...but not the time.

But I also believe that stupidity is an individual act or failure that is self contained. A big stack of them them yields “total stupidity”

For instance: the stupidity of protesters/looters does not provide cover for opening theme parks that should not be reopened prior...because they Happen after.

I don’t know if reopening is “stupid”...not my call...but if they do and then reshut due to medical data continuing on an unsustainable trend...then that is by default stupid.

I still hope it works out...even if I want no part of it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes. Many children aka 18-25 year olds were traveling for the protests. Anyways. I get what you’re saying, and maybe Dizney Werld shouldn’t open. I personally don’t care since I’m all but finished with it. I don’t enjoy the blind hypocrisy though. Large gatherings are either allowed or they aren’t. Beyond that, you can’t allow a protest of 10k and then tell the restaurant on the corner they can’t operate. It’s wrong.
I’ve actually rewatched Wings recently and I find it very underrated 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We’re making progress...we’re finally not disagreeing completely...

Now I can go back to my life’s work of trying to convince Mr.Penguin that the Disney Star Wars movies were so bad that all copies of them should be buried in the desert next to the ET Atari games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom