Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

the 7 day rolling average is still on the decline. I would expect this decline to slow the lower it gets. It may flatten eventually for a bit but it hasn’t yet.

Why do you think that will happen? If you believe that new case numbers are not actually going up or are only giving people mild cases then the death rate should be expected to continue to steadily decrease over time. That’s what’s happened in Europe and Asia, but it’s not happening here. By the time the rest of you realize this and are willing to modify your behavior it’s going to be too late and we are going to have no choice but to shutdown again.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Why do you think that will happen? If you believe that new case numbers are not actually going up or are only giving people mild cases then the death rate should be expected to continue to steadily decrease over time. That’s what’s happened in Europe and Asia, but it’s not happening here. By the time the rest of you realize this and are willing to modify your behavior it’s going to be too late and we are going to have no choice but to shutdown again.
It is happening here though. You are predicting it won’t keep decreasing though. I guess we’ll see.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Why do you think that will happen?
Not sure. The average age of positive cases has decreased significantly so I wouldn’t expect the death rate to stay like it was previously when the average age was higher. Not to mention we have better treatments to handle those who require hospitalizations and we do a better job at protecting nursing homes now. My concern at the moment is around these younger people passing on the virus to the elderly who we know die at significantly higher rates. Also, states are taking action to combat the increase in cases and hospitalizations, which will hopefully change the direction.

G00fyDad

I wonder what the average age of the infected was back in March? Anyone know?

public-health-lab.png

mickeymiss

They will just have to remember to keep it off of social media!
We live in a small state that never got slammed by covid and the hospital my husband works at stalked someone on social media. They called his coworker because she posted that she was visiting a relative in the next state over (also a state that was not badly affected by covid). They asked her why she was there and all of these nosy questions. Mind you, there are no rules in our state or the hospital against going to the state she went to. Nothing ultimately came of it but that's super sketchy to me. Big brother much?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Everyone has a choice. They can return to work or stay home. Because a few don’t want to go back to work the choice shouldn’t be taken from the ones that do.
Yes, everyone has a choice, but Disney has an obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employees. It’s a valid debate whether the current increase in cases makes it unsafe or not. I’m not saying it is or isn’t, but it’s not as simple as saying people have a choice to either take a risk or stay home. They should be able to work and be safe, not have to choose one or the other.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They should be able to work and be safe, not have to choose one or the other.

this standard you speak of is not applied evenly across all industries. Anyways, the state already approved the opening, which included the safety precautions. So if that doesn’t change and Disney doesn’t change their stance, it is a simple choice. Either work or don’t.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
this standard you speak of is not applied evenly across all industries. Anyways, the state already approved the opening, which included the safety precautions. So if that doesn’t change and Disney doesn’t change their chance, it is a simple choice. Either work or don’t.
Doesn’t mean they made the right decision...

I’m with GoofyG on this one...I’m not of an opinion on what should be done as far as opening/push...but serious, expert opinions should be heard and policy formulated based on that right now...
Not politics or economics in a vacuum.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
this standard you speak of is not applied evenly across all industries. Anyways, the state already approved the opening, which included the safety precautions.
Let’s face it the state would have approved a blank piece of paper if they presented it. TWDC isn’t worried about what the state wants. I’m not even saying Disney’s plan was bad. It was actually pretty comprehensive and as long as they follow through should provide a pretty good level of protection for workers. That plan was also developed a few months ago during a time with much less active cases in FL and in the area around WDW. I guess what I’m saying is they must have some breaking point built into their internal plans. Some trigger that says the situation with the virus makes it no longer safe to be open. I don’t know what that breaking point is and I’m not saying we have hit it but it should and probably does exist.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I guess what I’m saying is they must have some breaking point built into their internal plans. Some trigger that says the situation with the virus makes it no longer safe to be open.

the breaking point would likely be other open theme parks contributing significantly to spread. As far as I’m aware, nothing has shown this. If you see the roll-back recently in the state, they have been strategic about what they see as the main contributors to their recent issues. It hasn’t been places like universal. Unless that changes (or they make a decision based on PR rather than safety), they move forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom