Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought the only thing that was implemented was a 14 day quarantine requirement. Some restrictions seem to make sense. Protect your citizens from other places with current outbreaks. But this is starting to sound more like a “get even” scenario.
It seemed pretty “get even” to me from the start. I think the goal is to try to get people to actually stay out of high risk areas so I guess this ales sense on some level.

I do think there‘s some truth to travel risk. I posted earlier how Allegheny County in PA (Pittsburgh area) through contact tracing determined travel to hot spots was one of the drivers of new cases among the 18-34 demographic. They specifically mentioned places like Myrtle Beach, FL and TX where bars were a lot more open to party then PA currently. With great deals on airfare and hotel rooms it makes a tempting plan to go somewhere that’s more open especially for young people looking to party.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think you’re making a false equivalency...

Even though things have gone “well” on the whole...the idea that we all “secretly had it” would be very convenient. Too convenient.
No. Not secretly. And to say things have gone well in New Jersey, um? What?!?!

Anyway I am hopeful that the idea that 20% is all you need to reach herd immunity continues to be observed across the world.

Levitt was widely panned when he said it early on in the pandemic, but now it’s being observed in different areas that maybe he was Right from jump.

"Notably, we detected SCoV2 cross-reactive T cells in 81% of unexposed individuals..."

Which would of course lower the effective herd immunity % down to the 20% range.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I feel bad for the New Yorkers that want to travel, but the banned states could probably care less. It’s not enforceable anyway. Another act of stupidity by Cuomo.
I don’t disagree. I felt the original travel ban that FL imposed was equally stupid and called it a political stunt (which it was) and got jumped all over by a bunch of people here. The banned states might act like they don’t care but the businesses there might. They need every customer they can find especially since those states make up over 10% of the population of the US plus international travelers are already shut out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Anyway I am hopeful that the idea that 20% is all you need to reach herd immunity continues to be observed across the world.

Levitt was widely panned when he said it early on in the pandemic, but now it’s being observed in different areas that maybe he was Right from jump.

"Notably, we detected SCoV2 cross-reactive T cells in 81% of unexposed individuals..."

Which would of course lower the effective herd immunity % down to the 20% range.
Gone well recently. Not overall.

You think 81% of 11,000,000 people had this thing? And it best have been before March...because when they feel their precious existence is threatened...Jersites run for cover.

No joke I had old ladies who swore bin laden wanted to target their flight from Newark to Orlando a year later. Nutzos

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Gone well recently. Not overall.

You think 81% of 11,000,000 people had this thing? And it best have been before March...because when they feel their precious existence is threatened...Jersites run for cover.

No joke I had old ladies who swore bin laden wanted to target their flight from Newark to Orlando a year later. Nutzos
No. I think 20% have had it. And 80% of people have cross immunity from t-cells.

legwand77

Appreciate the use of true data, refreshing

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No. I think 20% have had it. And 80% of people have cross immunity from t-cells.
If that was really true that would be good news...at least for us up here. So the rest of the country needs to catch up and get as bad as NY/NJ in March and April then it’s over. Bloody few months to come but we could have an NFL season come September.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why make rules you can’t enforce. Who tells their employer what there doing on vacation anyway. I don’t none of their business.
People are idiots. They blast their personal business all over social media. All it take is one picture posted on Facebook of someone posing with the Duff Man statue at USF and they are busted. Word spreads by the water cooler then someone tells HR and you are busted.

lilypgirl

People are idiots. They blast their personal business all over social media. All it take is one picture posted on Facebook of someone posing with the Duff Man statue at USF and they are busted. Word spreads by the water cooler then someone tells HR and you are busted.
Cornovirus won’t be what kills us all . Social Media will be what destroys mankind.

oceanbreeze77

I don’t disagree. I felt the original travel ban that FL imposed was equally stupid and called it a political stunt (which it was) and got jumped all over by a bunch of people here. The banned states might act like they don’t care but the businesses there might. They need every customer they can find especially since those states make up over 10% of the population of the US plus international travelers are already shut out.
I get what you're saying, but NY has been through the ringer. I can understand them wanting to do everything they can to make sure their efforts were worth it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think it’s more a fever dream for lockdown addicts. I still hope that these southern governors don’t cave, they are way past the point where a lockdown will matter.

Should be interesting to see how NY and NJ do going forward. We are opening up, despite still having higher numbers then the southern states did when they opened.

There’s some science behind the idea that 20% infection is all we need to effectively reach herd immunity, NY and NJ may have already reached that point, so maybe our reopening will be just fine.
I think you are completely misreading “lockdown addicts”

This version of reality...sucks. Especially in a place like wdw.

Did you go outside today? It’s was 91 and I was at the shore with the breeze. That’s about the limits of anything resembling comfort in a mask. It’s not gonna translate the way the “openers” want.

Bars are being proven to be completely stupid...shocking to no one at all.

Hell, even Abbot in Texas jumped off the D-train. You’re seeing something that doesn’t really exist.

Nobody wants to be in lockdown. None of us. But what a lot of us don’t want is “yo-yo” restrictions...back and forth again and again.

Once is enough. But the “openers” look really stupid about now.

Are you gonna go “acceptable losses” too? Because that’s not gonna sell...and you used to be too bright for that.

oceanbreeze77

Nobody wants to be in lockdown. None of us. But what a lot of us don’t want is “yo-yo” restrictions...back and forth again and again.

Once is enough. But the “openers” look really stupid about now.
I'm honestly frustrated because I'm going crazy in lockdown and now it looks like we are going to lockdown again and be under restrictions for longer than we had to be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm honestly frustrated because I'm going crazy in lockdown and now it looks like we are going to lockdown again and be under restrictions for longer than we had to be.
I truly hope not...

But here’s the juice without the spin:

Number of positive tests up in 48 states today. CT and RI get the prize...

Hospitalizations up in several LARGE states...ones with themeparks - as if happens.

Opening rules reversed in 7 states in some form

And Icu occupancy in Arizona up to 87%...
That’s way more than New York got too...an that’s without the hope of lockdowns to save them.

Last edited:

legwand77

I truly hope not...

But here’s the juice without the spin:

Number of positive tests up in 48 states today. CT and RI get the prize...

Hospitalizations up in several LARGE states...ones with themeparks - as if happens.

Opening rules reversed in 7 states in some form

And Icu occupancy in Arizona up to 87%...
That’s way more than New York got too...an that’s within the hope of lockdowns to save them.

This is a cluster now. Full on definition of one.
There is nowhere in Flordia that overall hospitalization are going up or surging , if that is the theme park state you are implying.

FYI 87% is not rare at all for ICU's even prior Covid, take you false panic elsewhere.

techgeek

I used to work in meetings and conventions. We pretty much blew the one shot we had at my job coming back this year. There's no way a corporation in the country is having a major in-person meeting this year, and if they are it absolutely won't be in Florida.

From my perspective, the economy would right now be far better off if we had taken the time and got this right in May and June. Squashed the numbers flat, set up comprehensive testing and contact tracing, and backed it all up with a mitigation plan involving lasting reasonable precautions like appropriate mask usage. If we had leadership on any level to pull that off, then perhaps there might actually have been some stability over the next few months.

Instead, unless I'm going to a big-box I have to call or check ahead if I want to go shopping because I'm not 100% positive the place is going to even be open to walk-in customers. It's hit or miss if the restaurant I want to dine at is taking any sensible precautions at all, or if they're even open today. I don't know if there's going to be an economy for me to participate in come August and September, and I don't know if I'll have money to participate in it even if there was because I have no work, no job prospects, and soon no unemployment benefits.

The uncertainty is going to kill the economy far far more than the closures ever did. If there was confidence going into July, then a good part of the missing economy would have bounced right back. Instead, we have 3 different threads debating on if or not the parks should even attempt opening. Disney is a bell-weather to the economy, and a symbol of stability and western society. If we can't presume confidence from them (and the situation on the ground is proof we can't, through no fault of Disney's..), we have systemic uncertainty everywhere.

We don't know everything about Covid-19, but we know a lot more than we did a few months ago. I'm not qualified to judge if reopening or not is prudent, and to what level, but I do know there is in fact this wave of uncertainty that we are all about to be engulfed in... and sitting here having strong feeling about the virus way or the other isn't going to diminish that wave at this point. Maybe there was a better way this should have all been handled, but the way this played out was not it. The incessant back and forth over opening or closing being the right or wrong thing to do gives me no hope in us finding the nuanced balance required to wiggle ourselves out of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom