Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We don’t have herd immunity...not close. If you want to say that Bergen and Passaic County does...great.

Just stay in belmar for the weekend and stay outta LBI for me 😉

We may be effectively at that point though. We have opened up, we had protests, kids (20 somethings) aren’t social distancing at all. And no uptick. Coincidence? Luck? Or something more?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Today was first full day of my county requiring masks everywhere. Grabbed milk at the grocery store today. Every person was wearing one. That wasn’t the case before. It looks has been 50/50. So this is obviously anecdotal, but for my grocery store, the mask mandate made a difference as far as people wearing them.
Good to hear. It’s a little strange for sure and not at all natural, but once you get used to it and everyone else is doing it it’s not so bad. The one thing I’ve had a hard time with is sarcasm. People can’t see that you are smiling when you say something...kinda reminds me of being on a board like this where sometimes sarcasm is misunderstood. Maybe news a good time to start being less sarcastic ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We may be effectively at that point though. We have opened up, we had protests, kids (20 somethings) aren’t social distancing at all. And no uptick. Coincidence? Luck? Or something more?
That would be really good. I hope it’s true. We didn’t get it quite as bad as NY/NJ but not far behind. Not getting my hopes completely up after buying into the whole summer weather will slow the virus thing....but I’ll keep an open mind. :)

TrojanUSC

If you say so. Plenty of data out there that indicates otherwise. We shall see I guess.

edit to add....

Your article even points out that it could be far lower.

No data indicates otherwise. If it did, you'd cite it.

Yes lower than 60% means 40 or 50%, with only 10-20% of NY infected, there is still a ways to go. Further, nobody knows whether herd immunity will even be possible - that is highly dependent on lasting immunity to the disease.

Miss Bella

Apparently the constitution protects you from getting COVID during a protest, but if you go to WDW you and everyone around you will die.
That’s the truth.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you’re making a false equivalency...

Even though things have gone “well” on the whole...the idea that we all “secretly had it” would be very convenient. Too convenient.

lilypgirl

Apparently the constitution protects you from getting COVID during a protest, but if you go to WDW you and everyone around you will die.
That’s the truth.
The virus that is so smart it can spot a noble cause from a vacation goer!! Maybe I should hire it to to correct all my wdwmagic post typos and grammar mistakes!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So Cuomo is going all in on this travel ban thing. He’s now revoking the state paid sick leave benefit for anyone who travels to one of the banned states. In other words if you are from NY and you visit FL and come back and get sick they won’t pay out the recently passed paid sick leave while you quarantine. The exception is travel required for work. That’s not good news for the tourism industry in any of those places. It’s also a pretty good economic incentive to want to get off the naughty list ASAP. Since the ban is imposed on any state with a new case rate over 7 days that’s greater than 10 per 100K people or greater than 10% positivity rate It seems there’s at least an economic incentive to care about case count and percent positive still.

lilypgirl

So Cuomo is going all in on this travel ban thing. He’s now revoking the state paid sick leave benefit for anyone who travels to one of the banned states. In other words if you are from NY and you visit FL and come back and get sick they won’t pay out the recently passed paid sick leave while you quarantine. The exception is travel required for work. That’s not good news for the tourism industry in any of those places. It’s also a pretty good economic incentive to want to get off the naughty list ASAP. Since the ban is imposed on any state with a new case rate over 7 days that’s greater than 10 per 100K people or greater than 10% positivity rate It seems there’s at least an economic incentive to care about case count and percent positive still.

Let’s hope if any New Yorker returns with the virus they aren’t sent to quarantine at their local nursing home and smart enough to lie about where they have been!

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

I thought the only thing that was implemented was a 14 day quarantine requirement. Some restrictions seem to make sense. Protect your citizens from other places with current outbreaks. But this is starting to sound more like a “get even” scenario.

Miss Bella

The virus that is so smart it can spot a noble cause from a vacation goer!! Maybe I should hire it to to correct all my wdwmagic post typos and grammar mistakes!
You’re also protected when you’re doing something essential like standing in line to buy toilet paper at Costco, but standing in line for something non essential like flight of passage is deadly. Yes this virus is extremely smart.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Let’s hope if any New Yorker returns with the virus they aren’t sent to quarantine at their local nursing home!
I’m not sure why they would be. Most people in a nursing home probably aren’t traveling to Florida. Maybe for a funeral or something like that. Are we doing funerals yet?

oceanbreeze77

I think raising the stakes is a good thing. Before there was no enforcement.

Miss Bella

I feel bad for the New Yorkers that want to travel, but the banned states could probably care less. It’s not enforceable anyway. Another act of stupidity by Cuomo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom