Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
I still haven’t figured how WDW is more dangerous than Costco or Walmart.
If you spent a similar amount of time indoors at WDW as you do at Costco it’s probably similar. But that’s not reality. I don’t know about you but as a northerner I spend most of my time at WDW trying to get back inside a building as soon as possible.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Really?

You don't know how 10 hours of this:
1593087942900.png

1593088110900.png

Is different from 30 minutes of this:
1593087981870.png

As a risk of exposure to COVID?

Miss Bella

Besides the fact you are in a dangerous environment for 8-10 hours vs 30-90 min.

Also, you need to eat and thus need to risk a grocery store (unless you start farming) I don’t need to ride Big Thunder Mountain to continue living.
So standing in line to buy food is safe and standing in line for a ride is unsafe? Got it. Is there actual science behind this?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So standing in line to buy food is safe and standing in line for a ride is unsafe? Got it. Is there actual science behind this?
I think the only thing we can assume at this point around this is spread is more likely to occur indoors at close quarters than outdoors with space in between groups. Now, do either fit each exactly? No.

I am of the opinion that significant spread is unlikely to occur at theme parks like Uni and WDW that have these current measures in place. The measures are really key. But this is just my opinion based on what I have seen and read. Not sure there is a study we can point to. Probably studies that shed a bit of light.

Touchdown

Standing to buy food is not safe, I didn’t say that. In fact going to a grocery store is more dangerous then staying at home, but seeing as you need food you have no choice. The best thing you can do is limit your trips to once per week, limit your time in them as much as possible (have a list, etc.)

Just because you can’t eliminate all risk from your life does not mean you should just throw caution to the wind.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
The problem is most states are continuing full steam ahead with their leaders not rolling back a little or delaying openings. IMO they should do exactly what he said, it could save them for a complete disaster down the road.

As opposed to the complete disaster that occurred when everything was locked down?

States that opened up early are experiencing a surge right now, which will subside. States that had been hit hard, and now have improved and are now opening up now will get hit hard again in a couple of weeks. This will happen in cycles until a vaccine is found.

People are suffering from caution fatigue and as such have just let down their vigilance. You can see this in the lowering of the age of those who test positive. Further there is little tolerance to be locked down again. Politicians know it and even in the states that had the most crippling lock downs, the leaders have said they won't be doing that again.

Lirael

1) Not essential

2) Spend so much more time there

3) Some rides and spaces (like lines) get you very close quarters with others. In a supermarket the only place you may get forced to be that close is a line, and a supermarket line is much faster than a ride line + if people have a big cart in front of them that will diminish close quarters in some cases.

mickeymiss

One thing with Fauci is that he doesn’t understand the ramifications of opening and closing and opening and closing businesses. Plus I believe he said we shouldn’t need to lock down again before or shortly after the protests took hold. Now it’s gonna look awfully inconsistent to tell a shopping mall to close while throngs of people fill the streets a few blocks away.

I was all in for the stay home orders in a March. Flatten that curve. It just has become clear to me that we crossed over the threshold of being able to do that again. Our country is so divided and morale is so low. Even the people we want to protect the most are wanting be with loved ones.
💔

DisneyDebRob

How many states are open in the same capacity as Florida? It can’t just be Florida that opened bars. It seems strange that the media picked on Florida so much back when they didn’t really have a problem like this but now they are the only ones with a problem on this scale? I guess California is rising but there’s an interesting silence about California for SOME media outlets. California has been locked down more than most states. Why do we think protests wouldn’t be a likely link to cases there? Why are people so quick to blame beaches over crowds of over a thousand in the street? California had and continues to have some of the biggest protest turn outs in the country. I don’t live in Florida so I haven’t heard much about what they think caused the spike in Florida. If they were doing okay a few weeks ago, who had the disease and was suddenly able to get it moving around that quickly? Mask compliance in Florida has always been lower. It was really just the bars contributing to this?
Many states, and a quick google search will tell you this, went into almost full lockdown mode. Mandatory masks from the very beginning when going into essential stores and being outside where social distancing couldn’t be done. Mostly, those states are doing great now and some past there final phases of reopening. And it’s still mandatory for masks in stores. Correct me if I’m wrong but Florida was not a state that did that except for a county here or there. Not sure if that’s the reason but I’m guessing it is because other struggling states with numbers rising did the same thing.

Last edited:

Touchdown

One thing with Fauci is that he doesn’t understand the ramifications of opening and closing and opening and closing businesses.

I’m sure he was, I know I was. That’s why I advocated for staying closed in May, I’m sure you can find an old post where I state that opening in May could result in a July closure which would be absolutely disastrous.

What some of you may not realize is that no one wants to shutdown again but seeing as we can’t play by the rules we are rocketing towards another time out session. If we had been as cautious as Europe and stayed locked down for another month and followed sensible rules WE WOULDNT BE IN THIS HORRIBLE POSITION.

mickeymiss

Many states, and a quick google search will tell you this, went into almost full lockdown mode. Mandatory masks from the very beginning when going into essential stores and being outside where social distancing couldn’t be done. Mostly, those states are doing great now and some past there final phases of reopening. And it’s still mandatory for masks in stores. Correct me if I’m wrong but Florida was not a state that did that except for a county here or there. Not sure if that’s the reason but I’m guessing it is because others struggling with numbers rising did the same thing.
My state was never overwhelmed so to speak but we had some alarming number patterns recently in spite of being severely locked down. We have only recently allowed indoor dining. I can’t see how our numbers won’t go up if they were going up during an almost complete lockdown. We have been stable but it doesn’t make sense. How did we do worse in lock down just a couple weeks ago? What changed? No new nursing home outbreaks out of nowhere. There were a bunch a couple weeks ago. This is why I seek out information from every source available. I want to understand how it got so bad when nobody was supposed to leave their own homes and overnight got better when things opened. People weren’t working or doing anything for leisure. Large protests began even in my small state and our governor started opening more than she had originally planned without better numbers but the numbers abruptly became better? It wasn’t long ago at all that we were having what our media described as spikes and it’s like it never happened. Whiplash over here 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom