Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

What day of the week was yesterday again?

In fact...if I recall somebody, somebody brought up the reporting is off every weekend on this thread on Friday.

Like kreskin...they were of course dead on.

That poster has repeatably stated watch the trend, has posted that numerous times about it. You are missing his message completely which was about the media, which he says in the post.

Kevin_W

Yes they have treatment but more people less than 30 die from the flu , even with treatments than covid. That is a fact. treataments don't matter if they are dead.

I feel like this has been said at least once per page for the past few days of this thread, but: source?

CDC gives plenty of information on deaths (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr68/nvsr68_09-508.pdf, https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm). The age groups don't nicely end at 30, but a pretty close number to 1 significant figure would be a flu mortality rate of 1 per 100,000 with age <30. With the demographics of the US, that would be 1000 flue deaths (again, 1 significant figure). Covid deaths of ages <34 are ~900.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That poster has repeatably stated watch the trend, has posted that numerous times about it. You are missing his message completely which was about the media, which he says in the post.
Missed?

I’ve watched years of blaming coverage as a shield/ excuse for unenlightened thought and vanity leading to public failure/incompetence...

I didn’t miss it...I’ve ignored it. I’ve had enough of the blame the boogeyman”point”.

Let’s get the boots and the shovel out and start digging for the bottom of these things.

legwand77

Okay this is extremely embarrassing. What the heck does he think ICU means!?!?!?!

Not quite embarrassing as sharing a tweet from a guy who walks around Florida beaches in a Grim Reaper outfit. I kid ;) The Grim Repaer part is true though.

The real story is some hospitals are using their ICUs' as a covid ward. Placing all Covid patients (including non-icu covid patients) in the ICU and being incorrectly counted as ICU patients when they are not. They just adjusted the reporting guidance to better reflect that. but that isn't as sexy of a story.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, and I don't think it's just the areas. I think the brand in general skews more educated and socially responsible

Actually...they were terrible early in New Jersey. The problem is when the culture is laid back...often aided by “medicine”...you have a hard time finding the serious pants and switching gears.

hopemax

Okay this is extremely embarrassing. What the heck does he think ICU means!?!?!?!

I’m going to guess that he doesn’t want the ICU stays that are 24-48 hours which are “normal procedure” after some surgeries to be counted. Example, if you have bypass surgery and are in the ICU for a day. Also things like, when my Mom has cancer she was on the ICU floor because there wasn’t an open bed in Oncology, but she didn’t need ICU care. In theory, these types of patients could be handled elsewhere in the hospital, and not be barriers to patients needing more extensive ICU care. So, while it sounds weird that there are different levels of ICU care, there kinda are.

DisneyCane

What day of the week was yesterday again?

In fact...if I recall correctly, somebody brought up the reporting is off every weekend on this thread on Friday.

Like kreskin...they were of course dead on.
Last week Saturday to Monday had a 23.8% drop in cases on a 13.8% drop in number of test results (I used Saturday because last Sunday had a huge data dump of 20,000+ negative tests that make it an outlier).

This week Saturday to Monday had a 30.9% drop in cases on an 8.1% INCREASE in number of test results. It is not the same pattern at all and isn't "just because it is Monday."

DisneyCane

Again, not disputing the main point of the article but there is a factually incorrect statement in the article. It says:

In Arizona and Texas, Republican governors have given mayors the authority to mandate masks in their respective cities, but mayors in Florida have not been given the same authority.

That is easily verifiable as an incorrect statement. All it would take is reading a report from last week where the mayor of Orange County mandated masks.

It is things like this that make people like me distrust the modern media. Bias is one thing but this is a failure of journalism 101; get the FACTS.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again, not disputing the main point of the article but there is a factually incorrect statement in the article. It says:

That is easily verifiable as an incorrect statement. All it would take is reading a report from last week where the mayor of Orange County mandated masks.

It is things like this that make people like me distrust the modern media. Bias is one thing but this is a failure of journalism 101; get the FACTS.
...boy, that might be the lid to Pandora’s box 😉

Heppenheimer

I’m going to guess that he doesn’t want the ICU stays that are 24-48 hours which are “normal procedure” after some surgeries to be counted. Example, if you have bypass surgery and are in the ICU for a day. Also things like, when my Mom has cancer she was on the ICU floor because there wasn’t an open bed in Oncology, but she didn’t need ICU care. In theory, these types of patients could be handled elsewhere in the hospital, and not be barriers to patients needing more extensive ICU care. So, while it sounds weird that there are different levels of ICU care, there kinda are.
Unless they're using ICU beds for non-critical cases that need isolation that isn't otherwise available, those numbers on any given day are likely to be pretty insignificant. It does happen, but bed managers usually try to go out of their way to keep non-critical patients out of the ICU. When I worked as a hospitalist, it was a very rare occurrence that we had patients in the ICU who were there for overflow reasons. Of course, I haven't worked the in-patient side in the age of COVID...

legwand77

Just had to share this about the Grim Reaper from the shared tweet above. Just because it is funny. Not like this type of guy would ever say anything outrageous for attention.

Last edited:

legwand77

Unless they're using ICU beds for non-critical cases that need isolation that isn't otherwise available, those numbers on any given day are likely to be pretty insignificant. It does happen, but bed managers usually try to go out of their way to keep non-critical patients out of the ICU. When I worked as a hospitalist, it was a very rare occurrence that we had patients in the ICU who were there for overflow reasons. Of course, I haven't worked the in-patient side in the age of COVID...
The change in guidance is some hosptials have turned their ICU's to Covid wards housing non critical ICU patients, which incorrectly states the ICU numbers either way.

legwand77

and that hospitalization has declined overall in the past week in AZ or at worst stay flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom