Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

Outdoor patios seating only will not be so trendy in FL when real time feel is between 95-100 degrees daily. I would be dripping with sweat and dripping into my food.
So we shouldn’t scale back for the greater good of all so people don’t sweat?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Headline: Sharp Decline in Florida Coronavirus Cases

Story: There was a 40% drop in daily COVID-19 cases from Sunday to Monday. Over the same period, there were 9.4% fewer test run. Still, this is an indication that the concerns over the recent spike in cases was overblown.
-----------------
The data included above is real. I wrote it in a way to illustrate the opposite of the way the media reports on increases. I'll be holding my breath until a major media outlet reports the decline in that way. The new case positive rate was still 7.4% which is still of some concern.

Due to the way cases get reported you can't look at the numbers of a single day. If you look at the chart there is often a dip in the case counts on Mondays..

1592839106828.png

Attachments

• 1592838943537.png
    1592838943537.png
    49 KB · Views: 66

Rider

A scary stat: From Sunday to Sunday, Florida saw 21,723 new reported cases. That's 1/5 of all cases since the outbreak started in just the last week.

Jwink

The number of tests was only 9.4% lower and the number of cases was 40% lower. It's not just because it was Sunday. The positivity for new cases was 7.74% vs. 11.87% Saturday. The drop isn't just because it was Sunday. It could be the spike is declining or it could just be the demographics of who was tested that had results Sunday. I'm not drawing a conclusion from one day.
Interesting... Sunday is always lower and Monday is sometimes lower. Tuesday will be a bigger number than Sunday or Monday. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words and you’re free to say I told you so

Heppenheimer

Yes they have treatment but more people less than 30 die from the flu , even with treatments than covid. That is a fact. treataments don't matter if they are dead.
Nope, that is not a fact. According to the CDC, summarized in a nice table:

Since they started keeping track of COVID-19 in February, COVID deaths have outpaced influenza deaths for every age group except those under 15 years old (for which the numbers for both COVID-19 and influenza are very low anyway).

This is information that took me 30 seconds of googling to find.

Last edited:

legwand77

Nope, that is not a fact. According to the CDC, summarized in a nice table:

Since they started keeping track of COVID-19 in February, COVID deaths have outpaced influenza deaths for every age group except those under 15 years old (for which the numbers for both COVID-19 and influenza are very low anyway).

Fun with data, since you are getting detailed. lets say non covid-19 upper respiratory illness vs covid-19, how does it look?

legwand77

I am wondering what the next topic of panic headlines from the media will be once the focus on the new cases fades. Rest assured if history shows there will be a next topic.

Again we always should watch hospitalizations and make sure they stay steady.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The treatments aren't all that effective. I've been told by both a pharmaceutical executive and several doctors that Tamaflu is garbage and doesn't do anything. As I have stated before, my friend's daughter who was in her early 30s, in good health and not obese died from the flu in March 2019. She got sick, it got worse, she spent two months in the hospital and died.
My point is not to advocate for treatments or vaccines. Viruses are tough.

The point is there is medical data/research to treat the flu....no such thing with this tiresome strain.

That has been a big part of the narrative that gets lost in the political/ideological hijacking of the story.

This isn’t a matter of opinion.

Hawg G

The correlation between mask wearers and mask burners are a function of their political standing. Where I live (SC), no masks, but go to Raleigh or Chapel Hill, everyone has one.

The fact that Trader Joe’s was just reported to have 100% mask wearers before they were mandatory is quite fitting.

legwand77

Non-COVID, non-influenza URIs, with a few exceptions, are not tracked by government health organizations, since they cause minimal serious illnesses.

I was referencing the data on the chart that the poster linked that shows deaths. He excluded a rather large respiratory infectious disease.

Lilofan

The fact that Trader Joe’s was just reported to have 100% mask wearers before they were mandatory is quite fitting.
I would say that the Trader Joes where I visited are in more affluent areas where guests are in the higher income bracket and have more education. In my opinion they tend to be more responsible in their lives and wearing masks is not surprising.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Interesting... Sunday is always lower and Monday is sometimes lower. Tuesday will be a bigger number than Sunday or Monday. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my words and you’re free to say I told you so

That's why you shouldn't focus on the day to day trends. There are sites that show the trend with a 3 or 7 day rolling average which smooths out those day to day fluctuations.

BuddyThomas

No amount of magical thinking is going to deny the growing number of infections in Florida. But let’s ride Space Mountain!!!!!!!!!

legwand77

What’s getting old is people on a Disney chat board living in Fantasyland.

Clever snark, but what fantasyland?

Cases are going up and will continue to go up
Hospitalizations have remained steady, and in capacity has slightly improved
Deaths have dropped (dramatically nationwide)
Better tracking and tracing, (*does cause the positivity rate to go up with hotspot chasing)
New cases have tracked to a significantly lower average age (good news)

legwand77

No amount of magical thinking is going to deny the growing number of infections in Florida. But let’s ride Space Mountain!!!!!!!!!
I don't think anyone is denying the case numbers are going up.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Headline: Sharp Decline in Florida Coronavirus Cases

Story: There was a 40% drop in daily COVID-19 cases from Sunday to Monday. Over the same period, there were 9.4% fewer test run. Still, this is an indication that the concerns over the recent spike in cases was overblown.
-----------------
The data included above is real. I wrote it in a way to illustrate the opposite of the way the media reports on increases. I'll be holding my breath until a major media outlet reports the decline in that way. The new case positive rate was still 7.4% which is still of some concern.
What day of the week was yesterday again?

In fact...if I recall correctly, somebody brought up the reporting is off every weekend on this thread on Friday.

Like kreskin...they were of course dead on.

oceanbreeze77

What day of the week was yesterday again?

In fact...if I recall somebody, somebody brought up the reporting is off every weekend on this thread on Friday.

Like kreskin...they were of course dead on.
Yup, following the usual coronavirus pattern.

IDK how much It impacted the numbers but
They also closed the largest testing center in Miami yesterday because of weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom