Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

Again I disagree with most of what you said. They are opinions so I’m entitled to disagree, not many factual statements again in your post.
Is “panic news” the new catchphrase or talking point? I e seen a lot of that word lately as the scare and fear ones take a back seat. It’s being reported and whether you believe it or not it’s exactly what he’s doing. Here’s a Florida link to who he talked with and how they are changing the reporting.

If you can tell me the incorrect info as you said, I will apologize because I can’t seem to find it.
It was posted and written in a way to elicit the reaction that it got, see the "context" in which it was posted on here, also look at the replies to the tweet. The guy tweeting is all about writing tweet to get attention, begging for retweets, writing outrageous tweets. It really is a non story, note he did not link the or any article with a clear explanation on why. This is by design.

Also to clarify, you think that Desnatis didn't do the right thing with change the classifications of ICU patients? Just making sure I read that correctly. Also what facts are incorrect in my posts? Genuinely interested.

Last edited:

Rider

legwand77

Yes the general hospitalizations have increased, something to monitor for sure. but also hospitals are managing fine, which is the goal. Also people that test positve for covid are not neccesarily in the hospital due to Covid, could be in for any other reason and still be considered a Covid patient.

Harris said three COVID-19 patients are currently in the ICU; in Orange, there are 20 patients in the ICU, a number that has stayed relatively flat over the past month.

Local hospitals say that they still have enough capacity, and they’ve learned how to better manage COVID-19 patients.

Unlike the early days, ventilators are not the first line of treatment for the majority of the patients. As a result, fewer patients are being admitted to the ICU. Also, over time, treatments like convalescent plasma therapy and antiviral drug remdesivier have proven effective in fighting the disease, resulting in better outcomes for patients.

The petition was no doubt going to happen but they are going to need a lot more than 4K signatures, and generally petition dont do much at all. Disneyland has 45K sigs and they are still opening so far. Petitions don't move the needle.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

The excess death figures tell a very different story.

It will certainly be higher than a "normal" year. The actual excess won't be known until the end of the year. There is certainly some percentage of COVID deaths where the person would have died sometime this year. Especially given the number of deaths in the 85+ (or even 90+) age group, a lot of whom were in nursing homes.

That said, there is no question that there will be at least tens of thousands of deaths in the USA that wouldn't have occurred if China had been open and honest from the beginning and allowed the rest of the world know what they were going to have to deal with.

esskay

It will certainly be higher than a "normal" year. The actual excess won't be known until the end of the year. There is certainly some percentage of COVID deaths where the person would have died sometime this year. Especially given the number of deaths in the 85+ (or even 90+) age group, a lot of whom were in nursing homes.

That said, there is no question that there will be at least tens of thousands of deaths in the USA that wouldn't have occurred if China had been open and honest from the beginning and allowed the rest of the world know what they were going to have to deal with.

One thing we also wont know for a while is long term effects that could cause death. Theres been a lot of reports of people coming out of it with significant lung damage, and some going as far as to suggest brain, kidney, liver and heart damage in even the most mild of cases. I do however hope and assume this is not going to be the norm.

We also don't yet know long term effects on children conceived by a parent who has, or who previously had covid.

DisneyCane

Just another quick example of the way the media reports about the pandemic in the most negative way possible. This is from a Yahoo! finance article about stock futures and COVID cases this morning:

Overall cases in Florida rose again Monday to top 100,000.

While this statement is a fact, overall cases can never decrease so saying that they "rose" is a negative spin. Also, as I predicted, there was no mention of the huge decline from both Saturday and Sunday's daily increase.

Yesterday's count was still higher than the prior peak and the percent of positive tests were still higher than ideal but there were far less new cases yesterday than in the previous few days. You'd think that fact would at least be mentioned.

DisneyDebRob

Just another quick example of the way the media reports about the pandemic in the most negative way possible. This is from a Yahoo! finance article about stock futures and COVID cases this morning:

While this statement is a fact, overall cases can never decrease so saying that they "rose" is a negative spin. Also, as I predicted, there was no mention of the huge decline from both Saturday and Sunday's daily increase.

Yesterday's count was still higher than the prior peak and the percent of positive tests were still higher than ideal but there were far less new cases yesterday than in the previous few days. You'd think that fact would at least be mentioned.
Depends on where you get your news. To make a blanket statement saying the media puts the most negative topic on things and doesn’t mention the positive, although I don’t know if I slight tick of downward positives is that big of a positive, is wrong. Here is a example of media reporting on yesterday lower cases. All depends where you go for your news.

If you watch your favorite news cast or website for info, your usually going to get what you believe is the truth. That’s the problem with this country right now. Everyone is pigeonholed into there beliefs and everyone else is wrong. We need to be adults and do our homework and actually dig into things. A blanket statement of “this is why the media is bad” is wrong on so many levels.

Last edited:

tfc3rid

A big part of the ICU stories that are coming out have to do with the fact that hospitals are taking folks back in for regular surgeries, treatments, etc. and are requiring Covid tests prior to treatment. If someone should test positive, it is unclear if they are being considered a 'Covid hospitalization'...

In addition, ICU's and hospitals typically operated at greater than 90% in use for profitability concerns. No one actually ever paid attention to those numbers before all this and doesn't understand the perspective. Hospitals and ICU's aren't 'empty' in any way, ever.

These things are why folks need to do their own homework, rather than seek out information that confirms their bias.

That said, FL is one to watch right now and I'm sure the folks at TDO will play everything cautiously.

legwand77

Or the headline that the death rate has dropped dramatically might even say plunged down 90% from the peak. That is not a slight tick downward.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Bars really need to do better with restrictions or just shut down. Looks like the state made the decision for them.
I've got a niece at FSU right now and she has several friends that have either had or has Covid. They really don't care about this thing but its spreading like wildfire on college campuses.

legwand77

Well said, and that is why I think it wont be much more than previous years. It definitely could be tens of thousands, we will see. When close to 3 million die each year, and half of the deaths from Covid are occurring in nursing homes and LTC’s, my opinion the death numbers from year to year won’t be much different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom