Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin_W

How many are clinically significant versus people who ran out (after hearing about an outbreak) and got tested just to see if they might be positive? There was a recent surge in testing this week, also.

Good question. My state had a huge spike yesterday largely because a Dole plant had a confirmed case and tested all their workers. 200 out of ~850 tested positive, a significant number both in % positive and total number. I'm curious what the breakdown will be of those that end up with symptoms or not.

DisneyDebRob

How many are clinically significant versus people who ran out (after hearing about an outbreak) and got tested just to see if they might be positive? There was a recent surge in testing this week, also.

There will continue to be localized spikes in the number of cases until we have a vaccine (if ever) or until we have herd immunity. I'm waiting to see how many new cases are reported all over the country once schools reopen.

Flattening the curve never meant no new cases. It just meant that they would be spread out over a longer time frame so hospitals were not overwhelmed.
Your points are well taken but there has been a surge in testing in a lot of states. I’m looking for the graph I read 2 days ago. States that have locked down earlier for the most part aren’t seeing what Florida is with the same testing in place. As soon as I find it I will post.

Rider

The number of hospitalizations as of Friday was not immediately released on the state Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard.

Florida now ranks 10th among U.S. states in fatalities, up one spot as of Friday from 11th.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

There will continue to be localized spikes in the number of cases until we have a vaccine (if ever) or until we have herd immunity. I'm waiting to see how many new cases are reported all over the country once schools reopen.

Flattening the curve never meant no new cases. It just meant that they would be spread out over a longer time frame so hospitals were not overwhelmed.

Wow.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

The number of hospitalizations as of Friday was not immediately released on the state Department of Health’s COVID-19 dashboard.

Florida now ranks 10th among U.S. states in fatalities, up one spot as of Friday from 11th.

And yet is the third most populous state.

The Mom

Premium Member
the positivity rate also has drastically increased. Thats dangerous. its one thing to have a some new cases and mild spikes after reopening, but what we are seeing is a very concerning pattern.

I agree that it has increased - by less than 1%, but it is still many % lower than earlier epicenters. Show it should be watched carefully, and IMO, if it gets a full % higher things should start shutting down in reverse order. Bars and restaurants should go back to 25% capacity, etc. Keep walking it back - all the way to closing everything except essentials again. And that would be dependent upon a large number of cases being significant, ie, causing hospitalizations. But I agree that it should (and is) being watched very carefully. It's unfortunate that too few people have common sense - the first couple of weeks that bars open doesn't mean that you and a dozen of your friends should go out together for a night of maskless/no social distancing drinking!

oceanbreeze77

Hospitalizations are also drastically increasing. Ive said it before but while all of the deaths are shocking and sad, we need to be concerned about the effect of the virus on survivors. We don't know anything about that yet, except for reports of People suffering months after having the virus.

Why are people still unable to make it up a flight of stairs months after having the virus?
Why did someone need 2 lung transplants?
Why are survivors dying from heart attacks/strokes months later?
Why don't people have normal functioning bodily functions???
so many questions that need to be answered.

ImperfectPixie

I agree that it has increased - by less than 1%, but it is still many % lower than earlier epicenters. Show it should be watched carefully, and IMO, if it gets a full % higher things should start shutting down in reverse order. Bars and restaurants should go back to 25% capacity, etc. Keep walking it back - all the way to closing everything except essentials again. And that would be dependent upon a large number of cases being significant, ie, causing hospitalizations. But I agree that it should (and is) being watched very carefully. It's unfortunate that too few people have common sense - the first couple of weeks that bars open doesn't mean that you and a dozen of your friends should go out together for a night of maskless/no social distancing drinking!
Your last sentence is the big problem. We're spoiled in general, and many leaders don't want to make masks a requirement...but people are showing that they NEED to be made a requirement.

legwand77

Yet hospitalizations number are still holding the same.

I wouldn't be surprised if the case numbers go up even more with all the new testing required, people having to get tested to go back to work. That is a good thing.

legwand77

Hospitalizations are also drastically increasing. Ive said it before but while all of the deaths are shocking and sad, we need to be concerned about the effect of the virus on survivors. We don't know anything about that yet, except for reports of People suffering months after having the virus.

Why are people still unable to make it up a flight of stairs months after having the virus?
Where are you seeing hospitalizations drastically increasing, they are holding steady

ImperfectPixie

There was a Twitter feed posted last night that highlighted a recent study that found asymptomatic people are large in number, and they end up with the "ground glass" effect on their lung scans.

oceanbreeze77

But I agree that it should (and is) being watched very carefully. It's unfortunate that too few people have common sense - the first couple of weeks that bars open doesn't mean that you and a dozen of your friends should go out together for a night of maskless/no social distancing drinking!
Yes exactly.
And I think a problem that big problem we are seeing contribute to the American mindset is "Oh look, my favorite bar is open, the virus is gone!!"

Rider

High positive percentage numbers can also mean that a state isn't doing enough testing. The higher the percent the more likely there are many people infected who are being missed. This matters because you can't quarantine or trace cases you don't know about and they will keep spreading to more people.

Under 5% is the WHO goal. Most European countries that have successfully beat the virus are at less than 1%.

If a positivity rate is too high, that may indicate that the state is only testing the sickest patients who seek medical attention, and is not casting a wide enough net to know how much of the virus is spreading within its communities. A low rate of positivity in testing data can be seen as a sign that a state has sufficient testing capacity for the size of their outbreak and is testing enough of its population to make informed decisions about reopening.
And yet is the third most populous state.

Good thing Covid is over and there is no way that the number could keep going up...

Florida managed to avoid being overwhelmed at first but now it's climbing the leader boards. And the population demographics of the state mean that uncontrolled community spread could rocket FL to the top.

oceanbreeze77

Where are you seeing hospitalizations drastically increasing, they are holding steady
Many of the states with spikes are running out of ICU capacity because of covid patients. Floridas hospital reporting is lackluster, however, palm beach reports ICU shortage, but AZ, NC, TX are all going through similar rapid growth in hospitalizations. CA counties are already planning ahead with surge hospitals.

Seanual757

I am all for opening up our economy here in Florida we need it opened badly the Governor already said he will not shut it down again. I am glad or Mayor is ordering everyone in Orange County that masks are mandatory this should have been done from the start. I hope Seminole County and others follow suit. Any bit of protection is better than none and we do not need to have businesses shutting down because people cannot follow the rules.

I just returned from Publix picking up subs and I counted 3 including myself with masks on (not including the workers) I saw wekk over 2 dozen folks in the store with out masks. I was behind a guy talking to his buddy and he was saying the mayor can kiss my A#@ I am not wearing a mask.

I really hope businesses will start refusing customers for not wearing masks.

Two of my co-workers have already said I will not wear a mask.....so sad lets ruin it for others because you feel like making a point.

legwand77

There was a Twitter feed posted last night that highlighted a recent study that found asymptomatic people are large in number, and they end up with the "ground glass" effect on their lung scans.

Ground glass opacities on the CT, not a ground glass effect, it is a common sign you have an inflammation in the lungs via any viral infection, and doesn't neccesarily mean you have Covid etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom