Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilypgirl

This was reported on Saturday, and it seemed like they had corrected shortly after. That article was just late to cover it.

I didn't go to Hagrids on Sunday but everything else was status quo in US that I saw.
What do you mean by things were status quo? Following all the new operating procedures are back to normal operating procedures?

disneygeek90

What do you mean by things were status quo? Following all the new operating procedures are back to normal operating procedures?
Status quo with social distancing practices. Everything was being followed and implemented for all attractions I experienced. (Horror Makeup Show, ET, Gringotts and F&F)

Horror Makeup was really interesting. They sat every other row and had 3 seats between each party. A team member sat each group personally one by one. When the show was over, each row left one at a time.

Went on F&F for like the 3rd time ever and nope, still awful.

Jrb1979

DisneyDebRob

Many people need things to open. Some are careless. Others are very reckless. Most do their best. That’s what happens with a population of 330 million.
With how this spreads, we need more to do better. We all want places to open up. The bar should be shut down. The kids weren’t the only ones to blame here. With a population like that, just a few million will ruin it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
With how this spreads, we need more to do better. We all want places to open up. The bar should be shut down. The kids weren’t the only ones to blame here. With a population like that, just a few million will ruin it.
The bar owner, once he was notified, closed it down for a full sterilization, paid for all 50+ employees to get tested, and any that came back positive got 2 free weeks of paid vacation. Good enough?

DisneyDebRob

I ask that question every day. People want things to open but don't want to do the work.
I get what your saying, but it’s not even work. It’s so easy to do. We live in a instant gratification society, we all know that. Some figure 2 months is long enough and they are going out and nobody is going to stop them from enjoying themselves. Everyone wants things yesterday. I mean google something, if it takes more then 3 seconds, a lot of people are saying, “come on now, why so slow”. It’s unreal.

DisneyDebRob

The bar owner, once he was notified, closed it down for a full sterilization, paid for all 50+ employees to get tested, and any that came back positive got 2 free weeks of paid vacation. Good enough?
Nope. Like saying after all the horses left the stable.. we will get a better lock for next time. Why wasn’t anyone wearing masks as per the orders from the state? Blatant disregard should not be slapped on the hand with a bad boy sentence. Not good enough.
Glad he is taking care of employee’s but how about anyone else ?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Nope. Like saying after all the horses left the stable.. we will get a better lock for next time. Why wasn’t anyone wearing masks as per the orders from the state? Blatant disregard should not be slapped on the hand with a bad boy sentence. Not good enough.
Except that Florida has never mandated masks while dining, and I’m pretty sure you can get food at bars. What are you going to do? Pull it down to take a bite or a drink??? Nobody wants to do that. Oh, and Disney is not requiring masks when dining either.

mickeymiss

I'd like to hear from the CDC task force again. What are the trends here? Sometimes these sporadic outbreaks have more behind them than we think. What patterns are they noticing? They must be observing a most common method of transmission. Would masks even work somewhere like Disney? Particularly non-medical masks? Bars are a tricky place for distancing so part of me is not surprised but 15 people infected? I haven't seen anything like that with other states that opened.

Seanual757

Problem is here in Florida masks are not required. The governor and mayors need to make masks mandatory in all public places. The exception is when eating in at establishments. We are allowed to gather up to crowds of 100.

The other issue is you have those who do not believe the pandemic is real, or they feel they are fine, or they have the mind set that I am not wearing a mask if I get sick I get sick.

This is kind of like how folks on this board are talking if I have to wear a mask I am not going to Disney. Folks we could be in this for 1-2 years it is not that bad to wear a mask, sure annoying but that extra barrier of safety if fine with me.

I still shake my head going to the stores and see people not wearing them. I do wish the governor and mayors would make them mandatory it's just an extra barrier to help prevent the spread.

My family and I are 2 weeks away from our stay at Disney we have no issues with masks our kids have been wearing them to get used to them. Our July 4th weekend have always been resort pool trips so not having a park open is fine with us. I will grab food and bring it back to the room, we will swim in the pool and keep our distance. We have lysol wipes ready for the trip, plenty of hand sanitizer for the room and a bottle to take to the pool.

We will do this again for our late July trip, and our labor day trip, our October trip, and our Thanksgiving trip. It's the way of life we need to follow so one day we do not have to do this crap anymore.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
why because of the increased activity in Florida.. Why.. because we need to have states WITH NO new cases.. instead of increasing cases .. WHY because at 64 year old next year and my wife being 66 we want to come there with my grandchildren and not face a death sentence.. THATS WHY..
And its your choice to not leave the house if you feel unsafe. It will most likely be until next summer before you see FL without any new cases, its here to stay. Even if/when a vaccine is available, there will still be cases as not everyone will get the shot. Numbers will go up and down constantly for months. I get it, I want to see my parents (73 and 83 years of age) but I can't. They haven't been able to see their grandchildren other than from a distance, but its naive to think we will see no new cases before WDW opens up.

Rider

Statistics about COVID-19 have been all over the map, with projections, revised projections, declines, plateaus and one-day spikes that have often provided little indication of the disease’s true course. But experts say there are reasons to take seriously Tuesday’s one-day increase of 2,783 cases.
The record number came not as a spike on an otherwise flat trend line but followed two weeks of rising numbers. It comes as a growing percentage of people taking the test come up positive for the disease. And it’s accompanied by a rise in emergency room visits for flu-like symptoms since early May, a closely watched statistic thought to represent the leading edge of the disease.
“I think taken together, this indicates there’s evidence of an increase in community-wide transmission,” said Mary Jo Trepka, chairwoman of the Department of Epidemiology at Florida International University. “It’s always a problem looking day-to-day because we do get these spikes. But for Miami-Dade we’ve seen for the last two weeks a steady increase, and the proportion of tests that are positive has also increased over the last two weeks. Certainly if it gets worse we’ll worry about hospitals not having the capacity that they need to take care of people.”

A widely used model from the University of Washington predicts little increase in the daily infection rate until July, with a sharper increase in August, reaching 30,000 per day by early September. The daily death rate is also projected to rise, increasing sharply in September to reach more than 400 by late September. That compares to a daily death count of 55 reported Tuesday.
Jackson Health System, the Miami-based nonprofit system, experienced a “significant increase in the number of COVID-19 inpatients over the last week,” spokeswoman Tania Leets said. But she said the system continues to have sufficient beds and equipment to handle the additional cases.
Wael Barsoum, chief executive officer of Cleveland Clinic Florida, said the increase in cases has not resulted in significantly more hospitalizations. But he said that could change as the number of cases continues to climb.
“The increase in positive cases may be an early harbinger of what may start happening in one or two weeks as we see positive patients requiring hospitalization,” he said.

robhedin

why because of the increased activity in Florida.. Why.. because we need to have states WITH NO new cases.. instead of increasing cases .. WHY because at 64 year old next year and my wife being 66 we want to come there with my grandchildren and not face a death sentence.. THATS WHY..
This is here for quite some time. At the moment, there is neither herd immunity nor a vaccine.

In your lifetime, Polio was a serious concern. It didn't get a vaccine until 1952 and still had new cases in the US in 1961, and that was with mandatory inoculations; It wasn't eliminated in the Americas until 1994; China and Australia eliminated it in 2000; Europe in 2002; India in 2014.

When and if a vaccine for this is produced, its use will not be mandatory at least initially and some significant fraction of the population will not get it for whatever reason. Even for those that do get it we won't know for "sure" how well it performs (eg: how long it lasts, etc).

You may as well accept that there are going to be cases for the foreseeable future. To believe otherwise is at best wishful thinking.

Chi84

Premium Member
As far as Disney is concerned, did they change the mask requirement at Disneyland in Shanghai? Is it true that masks are no longer required outside - only when in buildings?

DisneyDebRob

As far as Disney is concerned, did they change the mask requirement at Disneyland in Shanghai? Is it true that masks are no longer required outside - only when in buildings?
I haven’t heard that they changed masks requirements, if they did I missed it. What I can say is that there have been pictures of no masks. A video of the afternoon parade where the people are basically on top of each other as the crown to see the parade. I’m wondering if they got rid of the social distancing.

Mander

In the Parks
No
Problem is here in Florida masks are not required. The governor and mayors need to make masks mandatory in all public places. The exception is when eating in at establishments. We are allowed to gather up to crowds of 100.

I'm in Michigan and we have masks required. Doesn't seem to matter. Grocery stores ask you to wear them but nothing is done if you go in without one. Some businesses no one, employees included, wears masks. My sister works at the local coffee shop and most of her customers don't wear one. My boss and the few folks still working on campus never wear them in meetings together (no distancing either).

Our state has done really well with the response but with the reopening everyone seems to think we're back to zero risk. I know people are traveling out of state again too. I'm pretty convinced we will have a second wave this fall because people just don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom