Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Yes, we've talked about that quite a bit recently. How much is increased testing, how much is increased virus spread isn't really known. In Florida % positives went up some as testing increased for a preiod recently, but ahve since trended down a bit. Good news is that hospitilizations, though a lagging indicator to infection is still trending flat-to-down and deaths (far more lagging) is still trending down as well.

Obviously, we'd all like the numbers just to fall to 0.
Arizona on the other hand. As they say in the article it’s not just from increased testing. Putting out the reaching critical stage soon warning.
Talk of going back to stay at home order if it continues.

DisneyDebRob

I replied over a week ago about how this virus is similar to SARS; Another RNA based virus that eventually fizzled out due to rapid mutations that lead to several genetic errors
False. It was controlled by very intense health measures that stopped it. It did not fizzle out as you say. Here is just one of a million articles that say the same thing. From Harvard.

Animaniac93-98

Looks like most, if not all Disney theme parks will be open by July 17. The ones without dates:

Hong Kong Disneyland: Opening Soon. Main competitor opens on Saturday and Disneyland had a soft opening for CMs.

Tokyo Disney Resort: Ikspiari now open. Parks setting up for social distancing.

Disneyland Paris: Golf Disneyland Paris now open. Villages Nature opens June 22. Parks Reopening Plan submitted to CM Union for discussion.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"For the first time since World War II, summer in Iowa will not include a State Fair.

After months of review and discussion, the Iowa State Fair Board voted by secret ballot 11-2 in favor of canceling this year’s event amid continuing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic and the financial impracticality of a socially distant fair.

The board also voted to allow fair staff to explore scheduling 4-H and FFA livestock shows in August. The Iowa State Fair had been scheduled for Aug. 13-23."

Incomudro

So if they were in car wreck and had a collapsed lung, died 20 minutes later in the E.R. and tested positive for CoVID, they should be counted as a COVID death? That is insane but according to the protocol in some hospitals that was done.

They do the same thing with alcohol and car accidents.
I'll head this off with the note that I myself do not drink alcohol.
So... When someone gets in an accident, and there is any alcohol involved - the accident is recorded as "alcohol related," even though the alcohol might have nothing to do with the accident.

sbunit

False. It was controlled by very intense health measures that stopped it. It did not fizzle out as you say. Here is just one of a million articles that say the same thing. From Harvard.

Here is one of many scientific articles. If you believe that “very intense health measures” is the sole cause for the disappearance of SARS then fine I will respect that. Let’s just take molecular microbiology out of the picture altogether. I personally have a more comprehensive opinion on the matter based on scientific literature. While I’m not denying that “very intense health measures” contributed to its disappearance I personally don’t feel comfortable stating “very intense health measures” is the be all and end all in the story. If that’s the case then covid should’ve been eradicated by now along with many other infectious pathogens. I don’t know how much more intense health measures can be viewed as they are now. Don’t you think the world would be a much safer and healthier place if it was only all about taking “very intense health measures.”

All im saying is I personally think there is more to it than just that.

this is another good read about viruses and other microbes That is a good casual scientific read. I have no reason to make things up nor do I have an agenda in any of this. But science is a bit more complex washing your hands after using the bathroom (although that certainly is important)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Which says...

Transmission of SARS-CoV was relatively inefficient, as it only spread through direct contact with infected individuals after the onset of illness. Thus, the outbreak was largely contained within households and healthcare settings [86], except in a few cases of superspreading events where one individual was able to infect multiple contacts due to an enhanced development of high viral burdens or ability to aerosolize virus. As a result of the relatively inefficient transmission of SARS-CoV, the outbreak was controllable through the use of quarantining. Only a small number of SARS cases occurred after the outbreak was controlled in June 2003.

However, you said...

I replied over a week ago about how this virus is similar to SARS; Another RNA based virus that eventually fizzled out due to rapid mutations that lead to several genetic errors

Which is not at all what your source is saying. They didn't let SARS run it's course and die from mutations. It was contained through contact tracing. Which is common knowledge concerning SARS.

DisneyDebRob

Here is one of many scientific articles. If you believe that “very intense health measures” is the sole cause for the disappearance of SARS then fine I will respect that. Let’s just take molecular microbiology out of the picture altogether. I personally have a more comprehensive opinion on the matter based on scientific literature. While I’m not denying that “very intense health measures” contributed to its disappearance I personally don’t feel comfortable stating “very intense health measures” is the be all and end all in the story. If that’s the case then covid should’ve been eradicated by now along with many other infectious pathogens. I don’t know how much more intense health measures can be viewed as they are now. Don’t you think the world would be a much safer and healthier place if it was only all about taking “very intense health measures.”

All im saying is I personally think there is more to it than just that.

this is another good read about viruses and other microbes That is a good casual scientific read. I have no reason to make things up nor do I have an agenda in any of this. But science is a bit more complex washing your hands after using the bathroom (although that certainly is important)
With all due respect, I choose to believe the scientific papers on it, which are numerous over your personal opinion of there’s more to it.
Science is very hard, but when they do have the answers they strongly come out and supply it. This has been answered long ago no matter what anyone of us think.
Covid should have been eradicated by now you say? The” very intense health measures was not my opinion. It’s what is quoted time and time again. There are big differences in how they both spread and we did not have close to intense health measures for covid-19. If you think we did, well I don’t know what to say.
Transmission

COVID-19 appears to transmit more easilyTrusted Source than SARS. One possible explanation is that the amount of virus, or viral load, appears to be highest in the nose and throat of people with COVID-19 shortly after symptoms develop.

This is in contrast to SARS, in which viral loads peaked much later in the illness. This indicates that people with COVID-19 may be transmitting the virus earlier in the course of the infection, just as their symptoms are developing, but before they begin to worsen.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, some research suggests that COVID-19 can be spread by people who aren’t showing symptoms.

Another difference between the two illnesses is the fact that there haven’t beenTrusted Source any reported cases of SARS transmission before symptom development.

We have our own opinions which is fine.

wishiwere@wdw

If they have COVID, it should be counted as COVID regardless of any other underlying condition. Otherwise, you'll start getting into the guessing game of, "Well... if they didn't have coronavirus, then they would have had a heart attack sometime in the next few years, so... we'll just call this heart attack just a "regular heart attack" and ignore any possible role COVID had in it." And that would be terrible.

And yet, even with this expansive classification, there are still a very significant number of more deaths which haven't been classified as COVID related, but, the statistics would say they are...

I get what you’re saying but wanted to give a different perspective. We just lost a close relative to cancer. He was given 3-6 months to live back in February and this was before the shutdown. Things took a turn for the worse 3 weeks ago and he went to the ER. Since there was nothing they could do they sent him home on hospice (after testing him) and he passed 4 days later. Cause of death? Covid 19. Sorry, but I have to disagree. There’s so much more I won’t and shouldn’t say right now because it’s unbelievably frustrating but it also makes me sick to know that many patients are being leveraged for $$$ as a result of having tested positive for something even though it had absolutely zero to do with their death. And no, he had no symptoms right until the end. Sadly, so much in this country simply requires that you follow the $$$ train 😢.

sbunit

With all due respect, I choose to believe the scientific papers on it, which are numerous over your personal opinion of there’s more to it.
Science is very hard, but when they do have the answers they strongly come out and supply it. This has been answered long ago no matter what anyone of us think.
Covid should have been eradicated by now you say? The” very intense health measures was not my opinion. It’s what is quoted time and time again. There are big differences in how they both spread and we did not have close to intense health measures for covid-19. If you think we did, well I don’t know what to say.
Transmission

COVID-19 appears to transmit more easilyTrusted Source than SARS. One possible explanation is that the amount of virus, or viral load, appears to be highest in the nose and throat of people with COVID-19 shortly after symptoms develop.

This is in contrast to SARS, in which viral loads peaked much later in the illness. This indicates that people with COVID-19 may be transmitting the virus earlier in the course of the infection, just as their symptoms are developing, but before they begin to worsen.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)Trusted Source, some research suggests that COVID-19 can be spread by people who aren’t showing symptoms.

Another difference between the two illnesses is the fact that there haven’t beenTrusted Source any reported cases of SARS transmission before symptom development.

We have our own opinions which is fine.

while I respect your opinion and feel that yes the health measures spear headed its eradication, the point I’m trying to make is I feel that that Inherent pathogenicity of the virus should also be accounted for as it sets up the way everything else affects it. Meaning the virus had to be susceptible to intense health measures otherwise the intense health measures wouldn’t have worked. I still do believe that rna viruses have an inherent ability to lose pathogenicity over time due to their inherent continuous ability to mutate. Eventually the probability rises that enough “coding errors” will occur to lower its overall potency. At that point the health measures now become even more lethal against the virus

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"For the first time since World War II, summer in Iowa will not include a State Fair.

After months of review and discussion, the Iowa State Fair Board voted by secret ballot 11-2 in favor of canceling this year’s event amid continuing concerns about the coronavirus pandemic and the financial impracticality of a socially distant fair.

The board also voted to allow fair staff to explore scheduling 4-H and FFA livestock shows in August. The Iowa State Fair had been scheduled for Aug. 13-23."

If you know anyone from Iowa you know how big a deal that is.

Kevin_W

Same for Ohio - last time the state fair was cancelled was 75 years ago.

monykalyn

I'll give you the lack of tourists but "tropical storm" is a huge stretch. I understand it is a week day and generally much slower but I'm still shocked at how absolutely dead it is. It feels like walk on and stay on the vehicle 3 times in a row dead.
We were there Tuesday (masks and all, figured I can’t complain about something I haven’t actually tried). We did both parks, most rides-including an hour lunch at Mythos- and we were out of the parks by 5:30, getting there before opening. Calm walk to Hagrids and basically didn’t stop walking til almost to load platform- the pause was to stop for the squirt of hand sanitizer :). Every ride was like this! We timed it right (lucky) and got on Kong right before wait time went up and VQ was used. I even got to keep my crossbody bag and water bottle with me on FJ. Missed the preshows though.
As far as hospitals and money...maybe. But another favorite hoax theory is the state’s were “pocketing” money - like $13,000 a person - for covid cases.

In my state...that would be $1.9 billion.
Now do how much the hospitals lost with no elective procedures or routine visits.
You fell behind. That was the story two weeks ago. Total testing isn’t up over the last two weeks in FL it’s down, despite cases over the same period going up.

Yet the %positivity rate is still below recommended levels. There are a few states that look like they may have issues (Utah being one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom