Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugell

I am somewhat disappointed by comments that state if you’re over a certain age or have underlying health conditions then don’t go to WDW in the foreseeable future. Are people forgetting that WDW fans may not have the time to wait. It is one, if not the most popular, destination for terminally ill children who need to fulfil their dreams and create memories for their families in the short time they have. I applaud Disney for trying to ensure a safe opening strategy. I wonder if they could create a Covid 19 free hotel? People with terminal illnesses will have been self isolating so will have avoided contact with the virus. Allow them into the parks early, before the general public after the overnight cleaning so that at least they can sample some form of WDW. They could be transported on freshly sanitised buses and arrange to travel there as a large group either on special flights or coaches. It’s a huge ask and would require organisation from the charities concerned and Disney but would have a lifelong impact on the families. I am lucky, I do not have a child or family member who this would impact so have no personal reason for suggesting this. I have however taught children who were in that situation and know the excitement and happiness that such a trip created. Also when in Disney it is heartwarming and heartbreaking to see the groups of children being able to enjoy a little normality. I am however over the age of being told to stay away😢.

sbunit

Coincidentally I just examined a patient of mine who is a hospital pathologist here in NY. I asked her directly what was the deal with labeling "every death" as Covid related. Without hesitation she told me she was absolutely directed to take as much liberty as reasonably possible to assign a Covid death to any positively identified Covid case regardless of other underlying medical issues. Meaning if someone passed away and was positive for Covid but also had severe heart disease and diabetes etc, they were going to identify the cause of death as Covid instead of the more likely ailments present. She said while they couldn't justify every positive Covid case, the vast majority were assigned as Covid related death. She confirmed it was purely from a financial standpoint. And yes, the numbers at least for NY, according to this individual, are not accurate.

As with my critical care pulmonologist friend, she also confirmed the following:

1) Majority of people who succumbed to Covid were quit sick with other pre-existing conditions prior to covid (obesity, diabetes, advanced heart disease etc)

2) Those that succumbed at a young age were typically heavy smokers (including marijuana and Vaping) and typically didn't disclose these facts to the doctors until much later or just prior to death (wouldn't have made a difference since they most likely succumbed due to mismanagement from being placed on a ventilator). They may have also been severe asthmatics (which she told me was the case with one of the nurses featured in a news article a few months ago who worked in a NYC hospital and died of Covid).

I've never disputed the fact that the virus is real and can be highly contagious. But I really don't think it's fair how the media and some areas of government is portraying it. I agree with proper safety measures and gathering and analyzing data. But I don't think it's out of line for anyone to question the real motives behind some of these decisions.

Remember, the Corona virus family has been around for decades and are responsible along with other viruses for the common cold. And yes COMPLICATIONS from the common cold can result in death for immune-compromised individuals. I'm not saying Covid19 is just the common cold but as more information comes out, maybe some of these measures we are implementing can start to relax

MadMax11

Coincidentally I just examined a patient of mine who is a hospital pathologist here in NY. I asked her directly what was the deal with labeling "every death" as Covid related. Without hesitation she told me she was absolutely directed to take as much liberty as reasonably possible to assign a Covid death to any positively identified Covid case regardless of other underlying medical issues. Meaning if someone passed away and was positive for Covid but also had severe heart disease and diabetes etc, they were going to identify the cause of death as Covid instead of the more likely ailments present. She said while they couldn't justify every positive Covid case, the vast majority were assigned as Covid related death. She confirmed it was purely from a financial standpoint. And yes, the numbers at least for NY, according to this individual, are not accurate.

As with my critical care pulmonologist friend, she also confirmed the following:

1) Majority of people who succumbed to Covid were quit sick with other pre-existing conditions prior to covid (obesity, diabetes, advanced heart disease etc)

2) Those that succumbed at a young age were typically heavy smokers (including marijuana and Vaping) and typically didn't disclose these facts to the doctors until much later or just prior to death (wouldn't have made a difference since they most likely succumbed due to mismanagement from being placed on a ventilator). They may have also been severe asthmatics (which she told me was the case with one of the nurses featured in a news article a few months ago who worked in a NYC hospital and died of Covid).

I've never disputed the fact that the virus is real and can be highly contagious. But I really don't think it's fair how the media and some areas of government is portraying it. I agree with proper safety measures and gathering and analyzing data. But I don't think it's out of line for anyone to question the real motives behind some of these decisions.

Remember, the Corona virus family has been around for decades and are responsible along with other viruses for the common cold. And yes COMPLICATIONS from the common cold can result in death for immune-compromised individuals. I'm not saying Covid19 is just the common cold but as more information comes out, maybe some of these measures we are implementing can start to relax

My doctor has told me his concern is that people are treating this like it's either a death sentence or a nothingburger. He says he has patients who have had awful bouts with this with potentially life-long effects stemming from it...but if it's not a death, it's not deemed significant in those casting the narrative.

sbunit

My doctor has told me his concern is that people are treating this like it's either a death sentence or a nothingburger. He says he has patients who have had awful bouts with this with potentially life-long effects stemming from it...but if it's not a death, it's not deemed significant in those casting the narrative.

Right.

The information should be accurately communicated to the general population. Yes you can get sick. If you already have pre-existing conditions you can get severely sick with risk of death (albeit low). And you know what, over the past 3-4 months were are learning much more about this virus, improving our treatment modalities and less people are succumbing to it because we have learned and started to gain experience. Meaning, things are pointing in a positive overall direction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

If they have COVID, it should be counted as COVID regardless of any other underlying condition. Otherwise, you'll start getting into the guessing game of, "Well... if they didn't have coronavirus, then they would have had a heart attack sometime in the next few years, so... we'll just call this heart attack just a "regular heart attack" and ignore any possible role COVID had in it." And that would be terrible.

And yet, even with this expansive classification, there are still a very significant number of more deaths which haven't been classified as COVID related, but, the statistics would say they are...

MadMax11

Right.

The information should be accurately communicated to the general population. Yes you can get sick. If you already have pre-existing conditions you can get severely sick with risk of death (albeit low). And you know what, over the past 3-4 months were are learning much more about this virus, improving our treatment modalities and less people are succumbing to it because we have learned and started to gain experience. Meaning, things are pointing in a positive overall direction.

I think what he was suggesting to me was that you don't have to have massive pre-existing conditions (for instance, hypertension is a pre-existing condition that is shared by a LOT of people who would otherwise categorize themselves as healthy -- me included)...to be subject to having this in a way that leads to symptoms you would want to avoid and long term health issues that stem from them...

jaklgreen

If they have COVID, it should be counted as COVID regardless of any other underlying condition. Otherwise, you'll start getting into the guessing game of, "Well... if they didn't have coronavirus, then they would have had a heart attack sometime in the next few years, so... we'll just call this heart attack just a "regular heart attack" and ignore any possible role COVID had in it." And that would be terrible.

And yet, even with this expansive classification, there are still a very significant number of more deaths which haven't been classified as COVID related, but, the statistics would say they are...

So you are saying that if someone dies of a heart attack, stroke, aneurysm, etc but are asymptomatic Covid, then the cause of death should be listed as Covid? You don't know if Covid had anything to do with their deaths or if it was bad luck. Bumping the numbers of Covid because maybe it contributed to a death does more harm then good. You can say that the cheeseburger the patient ate the day before their heart attack caused it.

crawale

Congratulations on your common sense.

crawale

So if they were in car wreck and had a collapsed lung, died 20 minutes later in the E.R. and tested positive for CoVID, they should be counted as a COVID death? That is insane but according to the protocol in some hospitals that was done.

lazyboy97o

Funny you don't mention that its also the same group that includes SARS and MERS.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So you are saying that if someone dies of a heart attack, stroke, aneurysm, etc but are asymptomatic Covid, then the cause of death should be listed as Covid? You don't know if Covid had anything to do with their deaths or if it was bad luck. Bumping the numbers of Covid because maybe it contributed to a death does more harm then good. You can say that the cheeseburger the patient ate the day before their heart attack caused it.

Of course I'm making that ridiculous point. I'm a dumb ol' straw man!!

And you've consistently ignored data of the death gap which shows that COVID most definitely is not being overcounted.

Kevin_W

Interesting severalStates are reporting an increase in cases Florida being one of them

Yes, we've talked about that quite a bit recently. How much is increased testing, how much is increased virus spread isn't really known. In Florida % positives went up some as testing increased for a preiod recently, but ahve since trended down a bit. Good news is that hospitilizations, though a lagging indicator to infection is still trending flat-to-down and deaths (far more lagging) is still trending down as well.

Obviously, we'd all like the numbers just to fall to 0.

Patcheslee

If anyone visiting Walt Disney World when it reopens is interested in getting a free antibody test you can get it by donating blood. They also have cookies.

I can't give blood EVER because of the weight requirement. I tried years ago to bargain take half as much cause I'm O- they didn't.
The 1 urgent care in town is finally doing antibodies test, insurance is covering all cost, so alot of at work have appointments scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom