Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
There's a difference between being positive and hopeful and flat-out posting false information.
This. I’m so hopeful we get a vaccine or that remdesivir turns out to eradicate in early onset usage AND becomes available in quantities sufficient to use it for that. I’d love for that to happen this summer. Who wouldn’t? But the odds of the latter happening this summer are better than the odds of the former and the odds of the latter happening this summer are low.

Kevin_W

Did you know that the fastest we have ever developed a vaccine is 4 years? That was for Ebloa. Effective and safe vaccines can take decades.

Most companies around the world as saying mid to late next year if the current trials go well (and many won't).

I think at this point arguing about the timing of a vaccine is pointless. At this point all we can really say is that all of the best people in the entire world are working on it and it will get done as fast as possible.

TrainsOfDisney

I think at this point arguing about the timing of a vaccine is pointless. At this point all we can really say is that all of the best people in the entire world are working on it and it will get done as fast as possible.

I don’t think it’s pointless to look at how long it has taken for other vaccines to be developed. I mean is it pointless to look at facts?

Calmdownnow

Seriously, what going on here? A new public-private partnership was announced today in an effort to get the vaccine ASAP.
Good question -- the guy heading it was listed as a venture capitalist, you know -- the people who put risk money in in the hope of making a financial killing. Tells you all you need to know about a) the risk level of this coming off, and b) the amount of money the drug companies and their investors think they are going to be making if it works.

Disney Analyst

I'm not sure I understand? Ebloa primarily impacts Africa and would therefore be very profitable and that's why it was the fastest vaccine to ever be developed by humanity?

Another vaccine stat: the chickenpox vaccine (which could be sold to every child born in the world) took 20 years to develop and test.

I think the poster was trying to say, an Ebola vaccine may have been even faster if Ebola had been spreading more on a global scale, especially in developed nations.

There is theory that this may be the fastest just due to the fact it is effecting the richest countries.

Calmdownnow

I got one today! :jawdrop:

Legally...
I did my own yesterday, cheaply. And guess what I didn't have to wear a mask or sit less than 6 feet away from anyone, so no workers were infected in the process (remember the old cowboy films where they had to put a disclosure at the end that stated "no animals were hurt in the filming of this production). There is nothing essential, vital, necessary or urgent about a haircut when you have a pair of scissors and a mirror at home.

Lilofan

I did my own yesterday, cheaply. And guess what I didn't have to wear a mask or sit less than 6 feet away from anyone, so no workers were infected in the process (remember the old cowboy films where they had to put a disclosure at the end that stated "no animals were hurt in the filming of this production). There is nothing essential, vital, necessary or urgent about a haircut when you have a pair of scissors and a mirror at home.
I've been cutting my own for the last 10 years. I think I've saved a few thousand dollars.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Thank you.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
BEAUTIFUL! Show them who's boss!!!!!!! First "major" amusement park opening in United States!

~ hopes from Michigan!
It doesn’t mean they actually WILL reopen but next week. But judging based on how much the south doesn’t care about quarantine? I wouldnt Doubt it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What's the point of taking a baseball bat to anyone who posts anything positive or hopeful?

Well, you have to apply your standards equally. If you're taking the stance that people can post whatever they want, even if it's misleading or outright false, then most surely, you will stand up for the right of other posters to take a baseball bat to that false information. After all, they're posting whatever they want. You trust readers to make the judgment whether those baseball bats are valid or not.

Anything else is just hypocrisy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure I understand? Ebloa primarily impacts Africa and would therefore be very profitable and that's why it was the fastest vaccine to ever be developed by humanity?

Another vaccine stat: the chickenpox vaccine (which could be sold to every child born in the world) took 20 years to develop and test.
Sorry, I was saying the opposite. Although Ebola is a terrible disease and very deadly there wasn’t a lot of money to be made vaccinating poor people. The researchers had to rely on charity and/or money from various nations to work on the problem. With this virus every day/week/month without a vaccine costs the world economy billions. There’s every incentive to knock it out quickly.

Chickenpox is largely harmless. It’s worthwhile to get rid of, but not really a priority. I don’t know if the science will win out and they will get a working vaccine but instead of 1 group taking 20 years to develop a vaccine I’m thinking 20 groups taking a year. I know it doesn’t exactly work that way, but that’s the general idea.

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, you have to apply your standards equally. If you're taking the stance that people can post whatever they want, even if it's misleading or outright false, then most surely, you will stand up for the right of other posters to take a baseball bat to that false information. After all, they're posting whatever they want. You trust readers to make the judgment whether those baseball bats are valid or not.

Anything else is just hypocrisy.
I didn’t say they couldn’t post - they surely have a right to do so and I expressed my opinion that it seemed kind of pointless to criticize people for being positive on a Disney site. That’s discussion. Deciding whether or not certain comments should be posted is not my job, and I certainly didn’t say or mean to imply they didn’t have a right to post.

Last edited:

Calmdownnow

Just stop. @The Mom has been clear that the debate on how deadly the virus is is off limits. There’s plenty of other news today on actual re-opening plans (based in reality) and even a fun little side tangent on vaccines coming this year. :)

You're right -- even I'm being drawn into side tracks about haircuts (thanks Andrew C) -- so what do we actually know about WDW's future intentions and where or what are the best sources for reading the tea leaves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom